“On my Top 10 Hostel List worldwide!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Canyon International Hostel

Grand Canyon International Hostel
Canmore, Canada
“On my Top 10 Hostel List worldwide!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I just love this place. I've stayed here about a dozen times over the last 5 or so years. Never fail to meet a bunch of fascinating travelers from all over the world.

Comfortable but basic surroundings. Free breakfast and parking. Lots of great restaurants, coffee shops, shopping and bars within an easy walk. Attentive staff who seem to take a genuine interest. Everyone here will try and help you.

Not a "party-scene" hostel like many others. Most partying is done at nearby bars for those who care to. Welcoming for folks of all ages, nationalities and cultures. They organize great tours to Sedona and the Grand Canyon if you're into the group scene. Otherwise, it's a great place to park it the day before or after a trip to the Canyon. Flagstaff has so much more to offer than Williams. Give it a try.

If you're a couple instead of a single, check out the Dubeau Hostel operated by the same folks. Just around the corner and a bit of a different vibe if you're looking for more privacy and the chance for romance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the left of the hall... less train noise (which you'll hear from any hotel loc...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ian G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I have to say, I fell in love with Flagstaff! Such a lovely town with nice things to do and to see.
I was backpacking on my way to the Grand Canyon and decided to stay here for two day, it's a city around 2h from the GC National Park and has an Amtrak Station in it, since I was moving around by train, it was decisive.
The hostel has one great thing: the staff.
I was there during summer and on the first night it was full of young people making noise really late, the frontdesk not only took my complain seriously but had me sleeping in a different room so I could stay on the quite side of the hostel.
I admit I had problems sleeping, but I'm a light sleeper. The rooms are not fancy and you get some sunlight in the morning, but it was safe and in a great location. If you are not looking for luxury, you can easily stay here, but have in mind this is a small town hostel, rooms and bathroom are normal ones, there are no lockers and the breakfast is regular, but somehow it has itsown charm and is really welcoming.

Room Tip: Make sure you are in a female dorm, they also have mixed dorms and in small rooms it makes all the d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Nathara
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked accomodation via the web prior to our trip to Flagstaff and intentionally selected these guys because of their fantastic Grand Canyon tours.

We arrived from Las Vegas by Greyhound and rang them and were promptly picked up and taken to the hostel where we signed up for the sunset canyon tour.

The next morning we all gathered around 11am and were driven to the local supermarket downtown to buy lunch and provisions. Our tour guide was fantastic and had so much knowledge about the States and the Canyons.

During our tour we made several different stops at the Canyons for photo opportunities including one right at the start of the trip within the Indian Reservation area. Here our tour guide and company have a local native Indian contact just off the main road who sells handmade items (necklaces, bracelets, tomahawks and other souvenirs) which we browsed and bought for souvenir and memory.

Our Canyon trip also entailed trekking down 1/7th which is roughly, 1mile down the winding trail of the Canyons. The trek was literally breathtaking (especially on the way back up) with fab and amazing views. We also stopped for lunch under some trees in the magnificent heat which was a good touch.

Towards the sunset, we walked along the rim down to the Canyon Village, had some tea and coffee at the Canyon Hotel and then sat down at the edge of the rim to watch the sun go down.

What an awesome tour - thank you to the Grand Canyon International Hostel and their tour rep for making this a truly remarkable and memorable trip.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ZamyH
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have been to many hostels throughout and this has to be the one I felt most at home. It was literally like going to your grandmother's house. It was so warm compared to the freezing January snow outside and the staff were like a family! Would recommend this to anyone visiting the Grand Canyon or just to see a real American town!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

During my trips years ago, I had a chance to see a lot of youth hostels. This was one of the most welcoming, customer service oriented and cleanest I've seen. I had arrived from Las Vegas after a long overnight bus ride, and somebody from the hostel was waiting for me at the local Greyhound station to pick me up and prep me for the Grand Canyon hike that I was going to join. Great gesture that I was not expecting for sure. The hostel is very well kept, even though rustic and simple. If feels more like being guests of a family than just being in a hostel. Although I don't use youth hostel anymore, I would definitely stay here again to live the great atmosphere once again. They are also great in preparing hikes down to the Canyon and to Sedona National Park. Great times.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I've been here twice now. Big kitchens, friendly staff, and, of course, all the great fellow travelers, which is the best feature of hostels. Located in the very hip area of Flagstaff on the edge of Northern Arizona University. The area is sort of a cross between Boulder and an uncrowded San Francisco - not to be missed!

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank mikek
Marlow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here nearly 5 years ago now, but this hostel was really great. At the time I was travelling with my friend and we were only 19, and the staff here made us feel really welcome. The rooms are pretty simple with shared bathrooms, but it's all we needed. There is a communal kitchen and dining room, a TV room...all the things you would expect from a hostel. Every week they have one night where everyone in the hostel eats together and you just contribute $5. They also ran trips to the Grand Canyon and to Sedona for a very reasonable price. It is a warm, friendly atmosphere and the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and at home here, whether it was driving us to the supermarket (even though we were prepared to walk) or directions...everything. Definitely recommend for young travellers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends