Grand Canyon International Hostel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Residence Inn Flagstaff(Flagstaff)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgrand canyondorm roominstant oatmealamtrak stationtea and coffeesink and mirrorawesome locationcommon roomrestaurants and barssouth rimmini fridgestayed here for nightsa great place to staycomplimentary breakfastbackpackersroommatessedona
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I really liked my stay here- the old building is so historic, and this adds to the charm. They do a good job of keeping it warm and clean, with friendly staff! The dorm rooms are small but completely charming as well: like staying in a neat old west hotel :) Definitely choose this over motels when in town, my return visit after 10 years did not disappoint.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We been there for four nights and the staff was very friendy. Its good located and they have good escursions to the canyons. Definitly a good hostel.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed at this hostel for 2 night whilst we visited a friend and went to the grand canyon.

Not much to comment on as we only used it as a place to sleep, we were out all day.

We stayed in a double room, it had a double bed, desk, chair, sink, fridge and fan.

The room was comfortable however it did get very hot and stuffy even with the windows open and fan on. It got to about 47degrees celcius outside. During the night it must have been atleast 30c.

The hostel is 2 levels with 2 bathrooms on each level. They can get busy. They are clean and offer shower/bath and toilet.

The receptionist guy was really nice and helpfull.

Breakfast was free and consisted of oats (porridge, rolled oats), fruit, tea/coffee, toast.

Free wifi

Short walk to restaurants and shops.

On a side note, we went to the Thai restaurant across the road with our friend and we saw someone who we worked with at a summer camp in america 3 years ago. Small world.

All in all a great hostel, location, price and cleanliness. Only wish we had more to say but like i said we only used it for sleeping, every other time we were out.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here a few years ago when travelling alone as a 20 year old.

Really great place. Quaint hostel with character, very small and encourages you to make friends with the people in your room and around you. Staffed by people with character themselves who are helpful and knowledgable about the surrounding area.

The rooms were small but in a sociable way not an uncomfortable way, I spent the evenings while I was there sat on the step chatting with fellow travellers and drinking Jaeger.

All the amenities were tip top.

Very close to the train station and the downtown area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Canyon Hostel for two nights last month, on my way into Grand Canyon National Park and then again on my way out a week later. Because I am 68 years old and do not consider myself to be a fan of hostels generally, I had some trepidations in advance, but this was a low-budget trip for me, so I decided to try it. And it was so good that now I'd never consider staying anywhere else in Flagstaff. I'll list the reasons why below:

(1) They pick you up from the Greyhound station for free, and when I called them to say I was at the bus station, they arrived within ten minutes.

(2) Every staff person that I interacted with during both of my stays was cheerful, friendly, and efficient.

(3) The hostel was impeccably clean (and with reference to the previous poster - there certainly weren't any bedbugs in my room).

(4) Each dorm room has a mini-frig and a sink and a window that opens.

(5) The bathrooms down the hall are private once you are in them, and there are enough of them so that you rarely have to wait.

(6) There is a spacious kitchen for guest use, a separate eating area, and cereals, toast, fresh fruit, coffee, and tea for breakfast.

(7) There's a desktop computer ($2 for 30 minutes) in a separate, private-feeling room. There's also another room with comfortable furniture and a TV and movies, plus more living-room type furniture in the lobby area. There are a couple of chairs outside you can sit in. It feels homey.

(8) My four-bed dorm room was full the first night, and there were three of us in my room on my second night. Everyone was incredibly considerate about not making noise, and I slept very well both times. (I know that with a hostel who you wind up with in your room is the luck of the draw, but I suspect that the orderly, clean, and homey atmosphere of this place influences people's behavior positively.)

(9) While most of the clientele are young, there were a couple of other people there over 50 while I was there, and I certainly didn't feel out of place.

(10) They have a great map of the immediate area posted in the lobby and will give you suggestions and directions to whatever interests you (Macy's a couple of blocks away for coffee, a great Thai restaurant less than a block away, etc.).

(11) The first night I was there, a fan was in the room and the window was open, and I wasn't hot. The second night there was no fan in the room when I arrived, but I asked for one and they got one for me, and then it was fine. I wonder if the previous poster even asked for a fan.

(12) They go out of their way to be helpful. For example, I asked where the nearest supermarket is, and besides giving me directions they gave me a discount card to use there, just asking me to bring it back to them when I returned.

(13) If you are interested, they run their own tour into Grand Canyon National Park (I had made other arrangements, so I didn't take advantage of this).

There is one small thing I wish had been different. Most of the bathrooms have showers and toilets (and hand sanitizers), but not sinks. Each room has its own sink, which is great, but one person brushing her teeth while others are still sleeping in the room may unavoidably make a little noise. It would be great if there were sinks in the bathrooms too - but I understand that the cost of doing that is probably prohibitive.

Anyway, to sum up, I think this place is great, and of all the hostels I have ever stayed in, here or in Europe (I counted up, and I've stayed in 12), the Grand Canyon Hostel is hands down the best.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo