“Reccommended by friend. Did not dissappoint.”

Grand Canyon International Hostel
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We stayed at this hostel for 2 night whilst we visited a friend and went to the grand canyon.

Not much to comment on as we only used it as a place to sleep, we were out all day.

We stayed in a double room, it had a double bed, desk, chair, sink, fridge and fan.

The room was comfortable however it did get very hot and stuffy even with the windows open and fan on. It got to about 47degrees celcius outside. During the night it must have been atleast 30c.

The hostel is 2 levels with 2 bathrooms on each level. They can get busy. They are clean and offer shower/bath and toilet.

The receptionist guy was really nice and helpfull.

Breakfast was free and consisted of oats (porridge, rolled oats), fruit, tea/coffee, toast.

Free wifi

Short walk to restaurants and shops.

On a side note, we went to the Thai restaurant across the road with our friend and we saw someone who we worked with at a summer camp in america 3 years ago. Small world.

All in all a great hostel, location, price and cleanliness. Only wish we had more to say but like i said we only used it for sleeping, every other time we were out.

There are newer reviews for Grand Canyon International Hostel

Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here a few years ago when travelling alone as a 20 year old.

Really great place. Quaint hostel with character, very small and encourages you to make friends with the people in your room and around you. Staffed by people with character themselves who are helpful and knowledgable about the surrounding area.

The rooms were small but in a sociable way not an uncomfortable way, I spent the evenings while I was there sat on the step chatting with fellow travellers and drinking Jaeger.

All the amenities were tip top.

Very close to the train station and the downtown area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Canyon Hostel for two nights last month, on my way into Grand Canyon National Park and then again on my way out a week later. Because I am 68 years old and do not consider myself to be a fan of hostels generally, I had some trepidations in advance, but this was a low-budget trip for me, so I decided to try it. And it was so good that now I'd never consider staying anywhere else in Flagstaff. I'll list the reasons why below:

(1) They pick you up from the Greyhound station for free, and when I called them to say I was at the bus station, they arrived within ten minutes.

(2) Every staff person that I interacted with during both of my stays was cheerful, friendly, and efficient.

(3) The hostel was impeccably clean (and with reference to the previous poster - there certainly weren't any bedbugs in my room).

(4) Each dorm room has a mini-frig and a sink and a window that opens.

(5) The bathrooms down the hall are private once you are in them, and there are enough of them so that you rarely have to wait.

(6) There is a spacious kitchen for guest use, a separate eating area, and cereals, toast, fresh fruit, coffee, and tea for breakfast.

(7) There's a desktop computer ($2 for 30 minutes) in a separate, private-feeling room. There's also another room with comfortable furniture and a TV and movies, plus more living-room type furniture in the lobby area. There are a couple of chairs outside you can sit in. It feels homey.

(8) My four-bed dorm room was full the first night, and there were three of us in my room on my second night. Everyone was incredibly considerate about not making noise, and I slept very well both times. (I know that with a hostel who you wind up with in your room is the luck of the draw, but I suspect that the orderly, clean, and homey atmosphere of this place influences people's behavior positively.)

(9) While most of the clientele are young, there were a couple of other people there over 50 while I was there, and I certainly didn't feel out of place.

(10) They have a great map of the immediate area posted in the lobby and will give you suggestions and directions to whatever interests you (Macy's a couple of blocks away for coffee, a great Thai restaurant less than a block away, etc.).

(11) The first night I was there, a fan was in the room and the window was open, and I wasn't hot. The second night there was no fan in the room when I arrived, but I asked for one and they got one for me, and then it was fine. I wonder if the previous poster even asked for a fan.

(12) They go out of their way to be helpful. For example, I asked where the nearest supermarket is, and besides giving me directions they gave me a discount card to use there, just asking me to bring it back to them when I returned.

(13) If you are interested, they run their own tour into Grand Canyon National Park (I had made other arrangements, so I didn't take advantage of this).

There is one small thing I wish had been different. Most of the bathrooms have showers and toilets (and hand sanitizers), but not sinks. Each room has its own sink, which is great, but one person brushing her teeth while others are still sleeping in the room may unavoidably make a little noise. It would be great if there were sinks in the bathrooms too - but I understand that the cost of doing that is probably prohibitive.

Anyway, to sum up, I think this place is great, and of all the hostels I have ever stayed in, here or in Europe (I counted up, and I've stayed in 12), the Grand Canyon Hostel is hands down the best.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank forgetwho
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I used to live in Flagstaff and had heard from traveling friends that this was a decent place if all you needed was a room. We liked the location and the price was decent ($50-55 a night). Unfortunately, there were bedbugs in room 16 and they found their way into our luggage. We traveled from home (Ashland, OR) and went straight there, so there was little chance of me bringing them there. When I told an employee about it, he admitted there were issues with that particular room, apologized and offered a refund of one night out of five. Afterwards, when I went to the front desk to check out, I spoke to a different person who said that I might have brought the bed bugs and had to "investigate" the issue. That was upsetting because the tenants before us also had bed bug problems in the exact same room! After I asked to speak to the manager, the front desk person offered me a one night refund.
The room was also unbearably hot at night and a small amount of food went missing from the minifridge provided in the room. All in all, I had a bad experience.

Room Tip: Room 16 had bedbugs
1  Thank CharlieChao
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I actually stayed at this hostel a couple of years ago......I wasn't a Tripadvisor member then....Now I am, so I'm writing this Review to help you in your Travel Decisions.

I arrived in Flagstaff,AZ by Greyhound Bus. At the Station I saw an Ad stating I could get a Bed for under $20 a night. I thought this was a great deal. I was right!

I called the Hostel from the station to see if they had rooms availible......they did. The Guy on the phone actually sounded friendly & said he could come pick me up from the station for FREE! How cool is that!

When he pulled up I was TOTALLY IMPRESSED! An Old-School Classic Historic Car painted PINK!!! They get a Huge "10" for this nice touch!

When we arrived at the Hostel...which is located Downtown....I mean DOWNTOWN! Directly across the street was a Club or something pumping out Music from Huge Subwoofers! Welcome to the Party!

The Front Desk Attendant was VERY HIP & SPICY! She was young and had Many Body Piercings in MANY Places. When I asked her about places to eat in the area, she recommended NiMarco's Pizza around the corner...A Great Find!!!

The Room I stayed in was VERY SNUG meaning you were in close contact to other Travelers BUT then again, if that's your "thing" or goal, this is YOUR PLACE! I believe it was 2 bunkbeds to a room.They had a Fridge in the room also.....I guess to bring Snacks or Leftover Drinks to save for late night. You don't need this added option because your Basically Surronded by Restuarants!

Being a Young Budget Solo Traveler, I didn't want to be carrying around alot of change money i.e. Quarters,Dimes etc. So I decided to put these under my mattress.....Wrong Decision. When I checked later ALL my change was gone! So this nice young girl said she "cleaned" our room.....She did a GOOD job!

Their 3 Night Maximum Policy didn't fit well into my travel plans either. I guess they wanted everyone to get a chance to enjoy the place......if it was unlimited nights they would be stuck with the same crowd since NONE would leave! They did offer me a bed at their other hostel around the corner which had unlimited stay.

The FREE BREAKFAST was real good and a nice variety. They have a kitchen upstairs as well as on the ground floor which is really nice for preparing your own meals if your really trying to strech the dollar.

All things considered this is a Great Hostel to crash at after visiting the Grand Canyon & Sedona! They offer Tours to both of these wonderful places!

Check out this Hostel on the web and make it your destination whenever your visiting Northern Arizona!

Room Tip: Place a Reservation!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank rcbjr
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I have stayed in many hostels all over the world, and I am not a picky traveller; but as a sit and write this, I have a least 30 huge red welts (painfully itchy!!) on my arms and legs from the bedbugs in this hostel. I have stayed in this hostel before, and I really love it. It's a cute old building and it's nice to escape the heat in Phoenix every once in awhile, so I really hate to give them a bad review. However, they should absolutely clean up and take care of their bedbug problem before charging people to stay in a room where they will get eaten alive. I am just praying that none crawled into my luggage. Disgusting.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room number 16
3  Thank savvytraveller30
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hostel is in a good location and all my roommates were very nice. They also provide pick up from the greyhound station, which is nice.
The hostel is in an old building, so everything looks old but it all works well and it is clean. Breakfast is good too.

I found the staff not very helpful when I asked for info on how and what to do in Sedona. Also on my second day, we were sitting in the breakfast area for a while after breakfast when suddenly the female staff came in and told us to leave because they had been waiting for us to move for 30 min already. But no one had asked us to leave! It was very strange.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo