“Good food, not so good atmosphere”
Review of Satchmo's BBQ

Satchmo's BBQ
Ranked #4 of 348 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: A funky little joint, that cooks with love. Ribs, Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork, Jambalaya, Gumbo, Poboys and Veggie options just to name a few! A killer selection of local and regional craft brews. We understand it may not taste just like your Grandma's Gumbo or just like Pop's BBQ. But what we do understand is cook'n with love, just like Grandma and Pop's did. Good for your soul food!
Reviewed August 5, 2012

When I read in AZ Highways magazine that this was such a great restaurant I was anxious to try it. I was surprised that it wasn't nicer inside. Just a few booths and tables and minimal decor. We wanted to eat outside but the smell from the smokers or grills were overpowering and had to come back in. The ribs were very good, the meat just fell off the bone. They were dry (no sauce) as was the pork sandwich. We were told to add our own sauce at the table. I like my food hot and when you add the cold sauce at the table it made my food colder. That I did not like. You have a choice of two different sauces, sweet or spicy. The pork was very good on the sandwich and so was the roll. The employees were very nice and checked on us a few times. Not sure that I would go back here because when I eat out I like a nicer atmosphere.

There are newer reviews for Satchmo's BBQ

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I happened to see a reference to this in the PHX paper, so when we went up to Flagstaff over the weekend, I thought we could try it. It is not in downtown, so I figured we could avoid the Cardinals crowds (we were there for the Cardinals too, but that doesn't mean we had to follow the crowds around everywhere!).
Anyway - this was not the best BBQ I have ever had but it was solid. We actually got the Brisket Burnt Ends special which was quite good. We also got red beans and rice (very good) and their homemade tater tots. It has been a long time since I have had tater tots so I did not really notice a difference between these and the old high school cafeteria. Anyway - the place is fairly small and they have a little patio as well.
Again - this is not a "change your life" kind of place, but it was definitely good and I would certainly go back.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

What a great little find. The decor was jazzy, not too much or overpowering. A tribute to the man! Service was order at the counter and they'll bring it to table. They check on you, but not too much. It's about the food. I had the shrimp po'boy with slaw, sweet taters and smoked beans. It was all so tasty, just the right seasoning for most people I would think. I'm a weakling when comes to Cajun, like it, but not jump out of your skin hot. I had some of hubby's tater tots, also lightly seasoned. The beans I would call camp beans because they tasted like home cooked over a campfire. Besides Brandy's (plug), this one's a newer favorite in Flag.
Not cheap fast food cost, but deal. It's not too much for what you get. The whole package.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We tried Satchmo's based on tripadvisor reviews and also our love for cajun and BBQ. We called ahead because we were a large group (8 + highchair) but were told no reservations. Restaurant is mainly booths only one table big enough to seat a party our size and it was already taken. We did get two booths close to each other that worked. No greeting upon entering, given menu and told to come up to counter when ready to order. Many beers on tap and the beer drinkers were able to get a sample taste before committing to a full glass. With large group most items on menu were ordered. Mixed feelings on the food. Beans and rice had NO flavor, Gumbo was not spicy, our son liked the ribs, mother-in-law liked her chicken sandwich, the tator tots and sweet potato fries were good, potato salad and coleslaw was nothing special, and the pulled pork was served dry with sauces at the table. Tried the spicy BBQ sauce, it was not spicy; actually sweet. The Jambalaya did not have much flavor. Portions sizes were ok. The order came out mixed up but the waitress fixed it quickly. Missing part of the order but this was corrected quickly as well. Location is in an old strip mall behind a gas station makes it hard to see from the road. All in all I would NOT recommend eating here. Rated to high.

1  Thank CriscoPhotos
Reviewed July 23, 2012

What a wonderful local gem of a restaurant! It may not be impressive to look at but the food certainly is! You order as you come in and sit at picnic tables out back or inside at a booth. Plastic baskets arrive with your food....and yum! Blackened catfish was wonderfully seasoned, jambalaya was just spicy enough and great crispy sweet potato fries, topped off with some local brew and you will be satisfied, along with the price!