“Tired and tattered vintage hotel.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Western Hills Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Flagstaff
Western Hills Motel
You added Western Hills Motel to your Saves list
1580 E Route 66, Flagstaff, AZ 86001   |
Ranked #41 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Tired and tattered vintage hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We like to travel off the beaten path, avoiding chain restaurants and hotels when we travel. Vintage Route 66 hotel with a cool neon sign? I couldn't resist! I should have tried harder. The room was sorta clean - floors 'n beds okay but lots of dead bugs around the windows. Ever used one of those airline pillows? These were only slightly larger. We asked the front desk for more pillows but they had no extra. The shower in the bathroom was old which was kinda cool but the door wouldn't shut and it leaked water on the floor. The bathroom window wouldn't close enough to lock safely, its frame warped by age and painted multiple times. The room had ONE power outlet and has way too many things plugged into it. The guy at the front desk was friendly, recommended some nice places to eat, but was there only half the time. Overall the place was cheap, definitely interesting, but I don't think we'll be back.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Jencat369

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My roommate and I stayed here for three weeks while our apartment was being renovated and we were both very pleased with our stay. The staff is excellent. All of them are very friendly and helpful. There is an amazing restaurant in the same parking lot that serves good cheap breakfast and the best gyros I've ever had. Overall, it was a great temporary home while waiting for our apartment. I would definitely recommend Western Hills and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here on out drive to Las Vegas and its a good stay and close to the downtown area. Shopping was nice found interesting things at the local shops. Small but clean rooms and nice staff. Next time we are in town we will stay there again. Low rate and nice people.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We drove in from Chicago and saw the vintage western sign and decided to give it a go! It was great! The staff was wonderful and would stay there again!! It was affordable and a great over night stay. Comfy and pleasant rooms. Close to downtown Flagstaff.

• Stayed July 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed here once for two days after they gave away our extended stay room. The room was quite bad. The bathroom had mold, grime, caulking issues and no fan (plus a bolted window so you couldn't even get air in). The room was cramped. The table was very dusty. There was only one outlet in the room. Non-working light above our bed. The sheets were not fitted, just flat sheets. The door had a crappy lock that made us feel unsafe. Also, we saw in the morning that moths had eaten holes through the drapery.

As far as service: We needed a place to stay for a month, but they gave away our room, thank goodness (see above). We booked tentatively and drove up to Flagstaff on the assumption that we had a room. We called the night before to make sure we still had a room - they said yes. Then, we get there, the manager tells us the man in the room had decided to stay, so there is no room for us. He had literally given away our room. That's partly just Arizona law, but it was very troubling that they had made us feel secure when, apparently, we weren't. I wouldn't recommend working with the staff there. They're friendly-sounding but deceptive or, at best, unclear.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TravellerD933
chase b, Manager at Western Hills Motel, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
We are very sad that your stay with us was not a pleasant one. While we realize that that this is a vintage motel without all of the modern amenities but we do strive to make it as clean and comfortable as possible. My only wish is that you would have alerted us to your concerns while you were staying here so we could have addressed those issues, pointed out power sockets, demonstrated how to open the windows or even moved you to a different room and if we could not make you comfortable we would have been happy to offer you a refund so that you could find a place to stay that was more to your liking.

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I've stayed here twice. First was late 90s when the NAU dorms closed for the summer and my apartment lease started the next day. I chose because it's cheap and was close to the pizza place I worked. Wow! I was surprised. Large room. Clean. Smelled nice. Great front desk staff. Old place but great value! I stayed again a few months ago. Same story! If you like staying in independent hotels, this is the best choice in East FLG

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Pat F
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I was taking a 4:30am train out of Flag (as Arizonans refer to Flagstaff) and needed a place to crash for a few hours sleep. I was determined to not pay the high season rates of the other hotels and found this hidden gem. The Western Hills is by no means fancy. The rooms are old with signs of the original 1950's decor. Right down to the tile ceiling and ceramic tile bathroom. The room was small but functional and the bed was surprisingly comfortable with clean sheets and blankets. At $44.10, inclusive of tax, this motel was perfect for the budget. The owner, however, was 5 star. She was friendly and welcoming and even walked me to my room. Her recommendation of the adjacent Greek restaurant was spot on. If your needs are minimal I highly recommend the Western Hills Motel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo