“They Pay Attention to Details” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Criollo Latin Kitchen

Criollo Latin Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Criollo Latin Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 338 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: Southwestern, Latin, Central American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“They Pay Attention to Details”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

I am a former restaurant writer and have been in the wine and spirits and food industries for decades. Criollo presents the finest Latin influenced food and beverages at reasonable prices.
I learned to drink the "Dark and Stormy" (National drink of Bermuda) at the distillery in Hamilton and went on to distribute Gosling's Black Seal Rum in California. This is a drink that is rarely close to the original in the United States due to the Ginger Beer not having the right ginger snap, however Criollo is using authentic Gosling's Ginger Beer and guilding the lily with a slice of candied ginger on the rim, making this the finest representation of this cocktail outside Bermuda.

We were celebrating my Daughter's completion of Freshman Orientation at NAU and she is a connoisseur of Calamari so we ordered it masa dusted, fried and presented with a mango chili sauce. Our waitress delivered it to our table and i chatted with her for a moment. When I turned back I was surprised to see a much smaller order than I thought I had seen originally. My daughter explained that it was so good she had already finished her half and that was my half remaining!

Main courses did not disappoint. We shared Paella and a Chili Relleno that were both excellent interpretations. The seafood was perfectly cooked and the chili was smoked instead of fried and had an outstanding mix of Southwestern vegetables in the cheese filling.

We completed our meal with flan and a molten chocolate chili cake. The texture of the flan was superb and the combination of flavors in the cake provided a wonderful ending to a delightful meal.

I have recommended Criollo to friends that travel to Flagstaff for business and all have found it to their liking as well!

1 Thank askfritz4wine

• Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
“fun and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

I chose this restaurant based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was loud, hip and fun. The food was creative, excellent and not at all expensive. The fish in the fish tacos was ethereal, which is a hard thing for friend fish to be. Ingredients are local when possible. The beer list was extensive and had some fun choices. The smashed avocado came with 3 different salsas and made an interesting appetizer.

Thank DanaD.
Denver, Colorado
“What a find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

Truly fabulous food where we didn't expect to find it at all. My husband and I will both fondly remember forever the meals we had here. We were in Flagstaff 2 nights and ate here twice, it was so good we will both remember it as one of the best meals of our lives. Enjoy the pork loin and the "dark and stormy". ( :

Vallejo, California
“really nice that they were open all day and had a great value all around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

lunch and dinner menus all good, great value all around. pleased to be here with family.

New York City, New York
“Excellent restaurant in small town!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

We came to Flagstaff on our way to the Grand Canyon like most people and we were really looking for a good place to eat. I consider us foodies, and so we were worried we could not find good food as we had run into mostly diner food driving. The place is cute, and has a great selection of food. Our waiter was great at recommending a bottle of wine and knew what he was talking about when it came to the menu. We ordered the spicy almonds which were simple yet amazing! We also ordered the oysters (Ostiones Fritos) and thought they were made very well and not over fried. I ordered Paella and they customized it to my dietary restrictions, and it was excellent. My husband loves his meat dish and said the sauce was perfect (worth bottling). If you are in Flagstaff or near it, stop by and eat here you won’t regret it.