“Fabulous!”

Criollo Latin Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Criollo Latin Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 348 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We arrived in downtown Flagstaff late … looking for a restaurant at 9:45pm on a Sunday. Something beaconed us into this beautiful little place where we had the most wonderful meal. (Hint: Start with the Ensalada Mezclada. OMG! :-))

Food, drinks, service … all excellent. We'll be asking about this place for some time.

PS: Their menu is based on locally grown and sustainably raised foods ... hand crafted in house with only the finest that local growers and farmers produce.

There are newer reviews for Criollo Latin Kitchen

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Who woulda thunk Flagstaff (?) had(s) a downtown so nice. Even its collection of both high- and low-fashion hipsters.

Criolla was very good, very hip and had – despite the expectations of a fashionista staff – terrific, considerate and extraordinarily friendly service.

The food was fairly inventive and really good. Almost thought I was lost between LA and Austin without a shade of either kind of attitude.

Pork Belly Tacos (remove 1 of the 2 house made pickles for perfect balance) were crispy-goodness and well seasoned with an unusual sweet sauce. Though overpriced, the simple Smashed Avocado app was perfect. A well poured top shelf vodka or 3 (though the place was more about a Tequila/Mezcal collection that seemed impressive to one who knows little of that booze).

All n all really good.

1  Thank NotThis
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We picked Criollo due to good reviews on TripAdvisor, and we weren't disappointed. It was busy, so we had to wait about 30 minutes. They text your cell phone when your table is ready, so you're free to wander around in the nearby shops. We sat on the patio in the back, and enjoyed the setting. I really liked the rellenos vegetales I ordered, and loved the soup. (If they have the roasted carrot and ancho chile soup when you're there, get it!) A friend spoke highly of her salmon tostada too. This place is definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank Bruce C
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My experience at Criollo reminds me that not everyone who fashions themselves an innovative foodie should open and own a restaurant. I don't know the owner but her/his reliance on the tattooed 20-something hipster subpopulation for waitstaff hiring immediately signaled inexperience and my experience that evening confirmed the signal.

Criollo doesn't take reservations and so, as a solo diner, I was shunted to the bar. Criollo isn't a large restaurant and the wait for a table on a Friday night would likely have been interminable. Glad that there was a seat at the bar. Given the generally strong acclaim for the pork belly tacos, I planned on those as my meal. One problem:

At 7:15 on a Friday night, they were already out of one of pork belly tacos!. What kind of food steward orders so ineptly that the most popular menu item is unavailable at an early hour on a Friday night? Could be incompetence . . . but I'll hope that it is just inexperience.

So, I ordered the fish tacos with cabbage, avocado, jalepeno glaze, salsa, and acho crema. Sounded good. Tasted less so: the beer-battered catfish and cabbage were nondescript, the avocado was absent, the salsa spare (but the ancho crema was quite tasty). Not sure what was "glazed" by the jalepeno but I couldn't discern any hint of jalepeno. Most disappointingly, the tacos were tiny; three-bite tacos as I described them to a friend. If these were the $2 tacos I order from my local taco place in Ann Arbor, I would have no bone to pick. But $13 for six bites is a not a great value meal. The accompanying black beans and rice was very good, though.

And what gives with the limited beer selection, by the way? If the "Roadside Ale" is the best of the lot as recommended by the bar tender -- it was ok -- they really could use better and more diverse beer options.

Perfunctory service at the bar, by the way: handed a menu, no smiles, no conversation. Order, get meal, get check.

Crowded, noisy, clearly popular -- it could be that I caught them on an off night.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Criollo is a funky Latin-inspired restaurant in downtown Flagstaff. Featuring organic, locally-sourced foods and unique menu, it is a break away from the traditional Tex-Mex found everywhere in this region. Make sure you hit Criollo on your next visit to Flagstaff.

Been to Criollo Latin Kitchen? Share your experiences!