MartAnne's Burrito Palace
Cuisines: Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed July 4, 2014

MartAnne's moved from around the corner into a bigger, cleaner-looking place. The old place was very funky, but great. The new place brought some of the funk (the artwork and atmosphere) along, and is certainly bigger. We still waited about 15 minutes on a busy Saturday morning. But by the time we left, the crowd had thinned out.

The food portions are, frankly, over the top. But the quality is excellent. Beware--it's not a problem for us, but some folks would be upset at the heat (picante) of some of the dishes. I didn't see anybody suffering, but the spicyness was real on the dishes that we had. I loved it. If you don't tolerate spicy that well, ask your server--maybe they can moderate the heat, or at least advise for or against certain dishes.

Definitely an original. If all you want is hash-browns and eggs you could be happy lots of places. But if you want posole and eggs in a one-of-a-kind place, this is it. I always go when I'm in Flag, if I can. But then I usually don't need to eat for a day...

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Delightful, delicious, fresh-made, cheerful, noisy, busy, worth the wait! Consistently the best breakfast in Flagstaff!

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We have only been there once for breakfast with a local who loves it. We'd go back again, for sure. We didn't try any of the Mexican dishes, while our local friend grooved on some rich looking Mexican fare. My buckwheat pancakes with a poached egg side was so delicious it woul be hard for me to try anything else. Eclectic.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

The influence of New Mexico flavors are alive and well represented at MartAnnes in Flag. If you you know New Mexico cooking you will understand just how hard it is to find good chile outside of the land of enchantment and more importantly what to do with it. Chile fanatics will appreciate the Chillequilles in either red or green chile. The breakfast posole, served with a couple of eggs over medium was excellent as was the green chile pork. All of the breakfast was served with delicious has browns, rice and real charro style beans cooked perfectly al dente. The portions are enormous and the flavors are fantastic. I ate here in June and I can only imagine how great it is in fall when the chiles are in season. Cool old building and very beautiful art work on the walls featuring dia de los muertos. If you like New Mexican breakfasts you will have a new favorite outside of NM.

1  Thank Cliff T
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Breakfast is awesome - huge portions of well browned hash browns, rice and beans. The chiliquiles are a must-have - the green sauce is better than the red but the 'Christmas' mixture of the two is a tasty alternative to all green. Friendly service, food comes out a bit slowly because it's all cooked well and to order--if there's a bit of a wait, it's worth it. Guacamole is fresh and tasty, awesome freshly made salsa. I take half my chiliquiles and hash browns home because the portions are so huge - breakfast here means a tasty dinner of leftovers later the same day. My only complaint is that I sense that their cooking oil is very cheap stuff that sometimes degrades stomach happiness after the meal is complete. So please upgrade the oil - otherwise, don't change a thing. Finally, if you are familiar with the old location, be aware that the new location voids a mandatory half hour wait standing on the sidewalk! You only have to wait to be seated at peak times on peak days. Yay MartAnnes!! The best daily breakfast in town by far, with Josephine's weekend brunch being the only place with tastier breakfast.