“Nice but too expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff
MORENO VALLEY
“Nice but too expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

What I like: huge windows with great view towards the peaks and the University (although about 2 feet of view is blocked even with curtains all the way open).

Flat screen, LOTS of TV stations

Little wet bar (sort of) with tiny microwave and small mini fridge, (part of fridge door broken). Comfortable couch.

What I don't like: sitting area is set up without ottoman, and not a good view of TV, can't twist TV far enough around. Mini fridge is too small when staying multiple days, especially since I couldn't use part of the door because it was broken.

No power slot near TV to connect AppleTV, etc.

If you have more than one piece of luggage, you will have to use desk area for your luggage (or put them on the floor), which means you have no desk. I sometimes wonder if the people who manage/own/design these hotels ever stay in them. Do they think no matter how many people are in the room, you're just going to bring one piece of luggage?

Wifi not fast enough to stream my companies training videos or NBA games on my Apple TV.

There is a Comfort Inn across the road from this hotel. I've stayed there several times. It's about $20 cheaper per night than this one, and I can't figure what this has to pay the extra $20 (other than the 'Marriot' in the name). .

1 Thank drdroad
Gina L, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Flagstaff, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback. We have contracted a high wi-fi signal and have contacted our internet provider to ensure that the full signal is coming through.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

We had a 2 queen suite for a family of 5 and we fit very well in the room. The only thing that would have made the room even better size wise would be if it had been a 1BD suite where we could shut door between the beds and the sitting area. Great central Flagstaff location to freeway and shopping/restaurants. The wi-fi worked very well. Our children loved having an indoor pool in the winter to swim in-would have been even better with a hot tub! The breakfast offered at the hotel worked well for us-typical cereals, bagels, yogurt with a few hot options like eggs, sausage and waffles. The staff was always friendly and acted like they wanted to be helpful.

Now for the downsides. We called ahead and asked the staff if we could be next door or on the same floor as family that was there the same time as us. They said they couldn't promise anything and we ended up almost as far and opposite from each other as you could get in the hotel. Really? Is it really that hard to make a note of that request and make it happen or at least pretty close to making it happen?

Then our first night we got take out and ate in after a day of travel. The kids were pretty messy and I cleaned up as much as I could but I really wanted them to clean the next day, especially vacuum. When we got back from our adventures that morning in the early afternoon they were just getting to our room and I really needed our 3 year old to take a nap. She said she would come back a couple of hours later and I told her I really needed the floor vacuumed. I vacated the room and kept my daughter busy for a couple of hours around the time she said she would be back. When I returned she still hadn't cleaned the room. When she came I just told her we would wait until tomorrow. They came at a normal time the next day while we were gone, but no vacuuming. I think all they did was make the bed and give us more towels. I have 3 kids-I need the room cleaned.

The beds were not comfortable.

My last complaint is the lack of cups they leave in the room for your use. Our room was made for 4-6 people and there was 1 coffee mug and 2 glass cups in the bathroom. One of the glass cups ended up breaking in the bathroom (did I mention I have 3 kids?) so now we are down to 2 total cups in our room. I understand they want to be environmentally responsible but just leave enough cups to cover all possible people in the room.

In spite of some weird aspects to our stay here if you get a good deal I would stay here. We had a blast in Flagstaff and I don't feel these downsides took away from overall visit. Just don't let the pretty exterior fooling you into thinking you are staying at a nice hotel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us! We appreciate all of your feedback and have addressed your concerns with our housekeeping and maintenance staff. We hope that you will try us again on a future trip to Flagstaff.
Edinburg, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

me and my father FIRST stayed at this property back in May of 2013 and we had a very positive experience when we attended a seminar at the beginning of the summer. We stayed again a few months later that July. (The reason why I'm reviewing this so late is because Trip Advisor limits how often you can review a property. You're only allowed to review the same property after 4 to 5 months. So here we go.)

Two months later in July we were passing through on our way to California to visit family, this time me and my father brought along my mother and 2 baby sisters with us. Because of our experience with the spaciousness of the room and the excellent staff (Trevor and Debra) it was a no brainer to return to this property. This Marriott property impressed us so much that we joined the Marriott rewards program the same way we did as Hilton Honor members. Despite their being several different Hilton properties in Flagstaff (Embassy Suites, 2 Hampton Inn's and Hilton Garden Inn) and not to mention we stayed at several of those Hilton properties in the past as we travel to California but not this time.
For this stay we stayed 2 nights mainly to visit the Meteor Crater to the east of town and Grand Canyon to the north.
When we checked in, our experience was the same as it was back in May, swift, easy and friendly from the front desk. As we had before, I had to do laundry that evening we checked in and saw that Trevor had come in for the night shift. He remembered us and was delighted to see that we shook hands and had small talk. I had noticed that he had been promoted and I'm glad to see that management rewarded his hard work. I asked about Debra also since I told him how she helped me and my father out when we had a flat tire and he mentioned that she had since moved. Sad to hear but I wish her the best. The rest of the staff was what you would see in a 5 star hotel.
I had also noticed that they no longer had the house keeping staff working past 9pm making up rooms which is good.
Our only negative experience at the hotel if any, was that when I did laundry was one of the washing machines was out of service even after It took my money. Trevor resolved the issued and called maintenance to check it out. I was refunded my money and had to rely on one machine to wash 1 weeks worth of dirty clothing.

Also what we learned from our last stay during May was that truckers or oil field workers or whatever they were, took up 3 to 5 parking spaces as they parked sideways and left A LOT of guest without parking. At that time me and my father couldn't venture out after 8 or 9pm for dinner or anything of the sort because by that time, all the parking spaces were taken and you'd catch U Haul's or company trucks parking sideways taking up more than several spots pissing off a lot of couples and families who were traveling. So this time around we just ordered take out so we didn't have to go through that again during our July stay.

Mostly our experience was positive on our second stay in July with one complaint that we experienced during our first trip in May. Its an issue we had with the restroom. When we stayed in May we noticed that the toilet had a very strong foul odor that would not go away no matter how much Lysol we sprayed or however many times you flushed. When we returned in July, we were obviously given a different room and experienced the same thing in this restroom, a strong foul odor from the toilet. In my first review back in May I blamed that they might have over worked the house keeping staff that quality and control of their cleaning was being affected especially when you'd see them hard at work past 9pm still cleaning rooms. management might have reshuffled their work schedules but the cleanliness is still lacking in the restroom.

The breakfast whenever we travel is a big deal for us as a family because of my 10 and 13 yr old sister and my mother who is diabetic. Since me and my father first came in May, we were pleased with their selection which is why we stayed here again when we traveled with my mother and 2 sisters. Complimentary breakfasts are a big thing for us as travelers which is why we remained loyal to the Hilton brand but this Marriott property is just as good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review on your stay in July with us! We have made a lot of changes at the SpringHill Suites this past year and we are truly happy to see that our changes are directly effecting our guests stay in a positive way! We appreciate all of your feedback and have shared your review with our entire staff. We look forward to welcoming you back on a future stay!
Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Daniel at the front desk was friendly and very helpful. The room was clean with plenty of space. Very modern. Would be nice if refrigerator had a small freezer compartment for ice chest freezer packs. We would stay again if we are in Flagstaff. Breakfast lady helpful about possible places to repair our car and how we could get back to hotel. Very friendly staff.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kit W
Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us! We are so pleased to hear that Daniel and Melissa (Breakfast) helped make your stay an enjoyable one! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Came in at midnight with a uhaul trailer and they get us park under the car port per the night managers suggestion. SO NICE and made us feel like our stuff was safe. Wonderful business center and breakfast. The staff is beyond helpful and genuine to the guests. Feels very sweet to be welcomed so genuinely. We brought our puppy and she also enjoyed the location and facility, everyone loved her! Would stay here every time! The rooms are just what we needed. Small living space and kitchen with desk and great bathroom. Couldn't have been more pleased with this gem. Highly recommended on reviews and we got vey lucky to find a room :)

Room Tip: 1 king bed good for 2 people and a puppy!
1 Thank Layne B
Thank you for your review on your stay with us! We pride ourselves on delivering superior customer service and are sp pleased our staff helped make your stay an enjoyable one! We look forward to welcoming you back on a future trip to Flagstaff!
Oak Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I really liked the room. It was more modern than most hotels I've stayed in. I was surprised when the headboard was green, it was so pretty. There was no issue with noise, even though I know a dog was next door.
The complimentary breakfast was excellent. It has the typical things most hotels are offering at breakfast these days - waffle, oatmeal, breads, muffins..., but there was upscale details that made it better. Nutella packs next to the standard peanut butter, a few extra options for the oatmeal mix ins... Well worth the stay, and the room didn't even cost me much more than the others in the area would have.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank SaraJane110
Thank you for your review on your stay with us! SpringHIll Suites rolled out a new breakfast this past June and we truely appreciate the feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I liked the hotel it's very clean and has very good service. Employes were very pleasant and they always had a smile on their faces regardless of the time . You can tell they really enjoy their job and you can feel a great work environment. Great breakfast! Will definitely go back to that hotel when we return to Flagstaff!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Paco_1012014
Gina L, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Flagstaff, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Thank you for your review on your recet stay with us! We are so pleased that our staff helped make your stay an enjoyable one! We look forward to welcoming you back on a future trip to Flagstaff!