“Restaurant is great, but also try the Annex”
Review of Tinderbox Kitchen

Tinderbox Kitchen
Ranked #36 of 348 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Tinderbox Restaurant was the first elevated-cuisine restaurant on the south side of downtown Flagstaff. Owner Kevin Heinonen has received multiple accolades for his renovation of Tinderbox and companion restaurant concepts The Annex Cocktail Lounge and Tourist Home. Together, all three concepts were the first to bring a sense of “specialness” to the Southside. Chef Schmitz serves up well-executed spins on reimagined American fare: sweet corn bisque with lump crab, chili oil and cilantro ($10); robust mussels with house chorizo, white wine broth, cilantro sprouts and baguettes ($14); pork belly with cheddar grits, pickled vegetables and balsamic reduction ($10); potato crusted grouper with garlic-braised rainbow chard, tomato lobster broth and crispy leeks ($20); pork porterhouse—bone-in chop, bourbon-peach bbq sauce, warm mustard potato salad, baked beans, creamy coleslaw ($22) and many other starters, entrees, sides and shares. “Tinderbox Kitchen is at the epicenter of the Flagstaff culinary awakening.” —New York Magazine. “Best Restaurants in Flagstaff,” Arizona Republic. Tinderbox is located at 34 S. SanFrancisco Street in downtown Flagstaff. Dinner is served nightly from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The restaurant is wonderful for high-end dining in a casual atmosphere, but also check out the Annex next door. Small lounge area for drinks and something to eat - from the same kitchen but not as elaborate.
During the summer months, check out the outdoor patio space next door. Sometimes they have live music. Order drinks and/or something to eat and enjoy. Heaven on a nice night.

2  Thank Soulefulltraveler
There are newer reviews for Tinderbox Kitchen

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The food and services were outstanding. Two of us had steak one cooked med-rare the other medium. Surprize they both came out just right. The side dishes both outstanding..My son had venision and it was great.. My wife had scallops they were very good and very tasty but 3 scallops for $32. This is the only reason I give this restaunt avery good. I think they are slightly over priced.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

My husband and I went T-bone Kitchen for my birthday. The wait staff was exemplary with just the right amount of attention. I ordered the duck breast paired with cous-cous, duck confit with cherries. It was perfectly prepared. The best duck since we visited France. My husband enjoyed the scallops and said they were the best he's ever eaten and we just returned from Hawaii where he tried them too. The best part was the Barely Baked Chocolate Cake...my favorite dessert and no one does it better than chef Scott. GREAT birthday evening.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

A large group of us received a recommendation to go here, and we're glad we listened. The food was scrumptious by every account. I had the strip steak with horseradish mashed potatoes. OMG! The steak was perfectly cooked and the potatoes were chock-full of horseradish. The romaine-arugula salad was almost entree size. Gratefully, the kitchen allowed for slight substitutions since I'm not a fan of bleu cheese. The prices were very reasonable. The service was good, but not spectacular -- one of our group didn't receive his entree until almost 10 min after the rest of the table. Overall, though, you should make an effort to go here if you're in the area.

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner on Tuesday, June 10th. She ordered the scallops and I ordered the duck breast. Both dishes were ruined with an abundance of salt. The duck was over-cooked and chewy. It was in a sauce that looked and tasted like soy sauce. It was terrible. The scallops were in a mushroom sauce. They should have been seared and crispy, but were mushy and very salty. We endured a $130 bill with wine and an appetizer and will not be back.

2  Thank SAlfheim

Been to Tinderbox Kitchen? Share your experiences!