“Excellent!”

Ranked #35 of 352 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Chef Schmitz serves up well-executed spins on reimagined American fare like: Pan Seared Chicken Breast. Braised Pork Shoulder, Pan Seared Butterfish, 12oz Grilled Ribeye, Grilled Pesto Salmon Fillet and many other entrees, starters, soups and salads. The wine selection mirrors the Tinderbox menu; ever-changing. The bottle list is global with full renditions of varietals selected to match that evening's menu. The by-the-glass list is a special selection of wines made along with their Companion Sutcliffe Vineyard in McElmo Canyon, Colo. The wines are selected and even specifically blended to add and compliment each dish. "Tinderbox Kitchen is at the epicenter of the Flagstaff culinary awakening." --New York Magazine. "Best Restaurants in Flagstaff," Arizona Republic.
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I very rarely rate a restaurant "excellent," but this one deserves it. Seven of us went to celebrate a birthday. We had pork porterhouse. hanger steak, shrimp, duck, venison and scallops--all were excellent (I keep using that word!). Patrick took good care of us and had great product knowledge. The only disappointment was the desert, and maybe that was because everything else had been outstanding. And I thought that after spending $300 on dinner, the birthday dessert should have been comped.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

After the duck fat cooked in duck fat was brought to the table it was cold. The chef reminded me of napoleon. Angry little man. The only thing this place has going for it is the ambiance. Stay north of the tracks people.

3  Thank Conan911
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place has really good food and all the hype about it is justified. The menu is unique and varied. I have tried some of their pastas which were really good, and the salads which had really amazing portions considering the price. Also what I cannot recommend enough is the meatloaf. It was the best I’ve ever had. And most dishes have really large portions, the arugula salad I tried was big enough for two! The staff is really friendly and polite. The bartender was particularly accommodating. Excellent culinary experience.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Flagstaff is an interesting place with a lot going on. We almost missed this place - we walked by and could see everyone was having a really good time - both in the restaurant and in the bar/annex next door. Luckily we were able to get a table and had an amazing meal. The portions are large and the food is fabulous. The jalapeno mac and cheese with duck confit and the pork porterhouse bring American comfort food to a whole new level. The place has a great, fun vibe and the servers and the house wine add to that.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I were very disappointed by this restaurant. We had the scallops and the meatloaf. Both dishes seemed to have been brought from the refrigerator and reheated to serve. The scallops were swimming in butter. We left both dishes half eaten.
The service was good. We felt sorry for the girl who was working there.
Adding injury to insult my wife was ill that night from the scallops.

4  Thank Jay307

Been to Tinderbox Kitchen? Share your experiences!