“Beautiful Summer Escape” 5 of 5 bubbles

Arizona Snowbowl
Ranked #12 of 100 things to do in Flagstaff
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located on the majestic San Francisco Peaks, the Arizona Snowbowl lies 14 miles outside of Flagstaff. IN WINTER, join us for skiing and riding over our 777 acres, 40+ trails, and 2,300 vertical feet. The ski area's snowmaking capabilities offer season's opening in mid-November through mid-April for all skill levels. IN SUMMER, the Scenic Chairlift shuttles riders to the top of Arizona (11,500 feet/ 3,500 m). Join us for a round of disc golf, go on a hike and treat yourself to lunch with a view at Agassiz Lodge Restaurant.
Arizona
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Beautiful Summer Escape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We came to do the sky ride/ski lift, by the way visit the website and print off a coupon to discount the price, we paid $22.50 for 2 adults after the discount. They are only open on weekends and I believe the hours are from 10am - 430pm. The place where you buy the tickets is also the gift shop, next door is the restaurant and bathrooms. The cashier was telling other people that you can take your beer/drinks on the lift up, you just have to sit down and order first to be served. Once you wait for your seat/turn you head up at random paces, mostly slow but there is occasional stopping. It took about 15 minutes or so to get to the top, make sure you have nothing loose as there is plenty of items along the way that fell to their demise. You can't hike up that path to retrieve it either. At the top, the scenic view is amazing. There are picnic benches which people had taken food from the cafe at the bottom to have a picnic at top. There was water jugs too and bathroom which claim to be the highest ones in Arizona, the kid in me had to use it so I could say I did. There was a controlled fire in the distance so there was a constant smell of smoke/burning wood (love it personally), they are doing some additions to Snow Bowl like adding a snow area and some other renovations. There is a very small hike up, any age can easily do this as its a gradual and flat walk up. There are no other trails open to hike, if you're interested in actual hiking there are trails available after you leave and drive to the pull off areas. A storm had been moving in quickly so we were all told to leave and go back down, we had a forest ranger with us on the journey down and she told us lots of interesting facts and stories about the place and her history. We got caught in the rain going down and freezing winds, so when we got to the bottom we took advantage of the cafe and had something warm to eat. Food was not very good at all and relatively expensive, but we we're waiting the storm out so we shared a mixed basket. We noticed some people just got up there and were told to leave immediately but I would think they would let them back on once it was safe. They won't allow the lift to go on if there's lightning, which makes sense. Once we had finished we decided to do some hiking & photography on both trails. Either one has its own beauty and different view of hiking. I think each trail is a minimum of 5 miles if I remember right? One parking lot offers portable bathrooms, the other does not. Great hiking place for sure, just go prepared...can't tell you how many people we saw struggling back because they were ill equipped. Very relaxing and very beautiful =)

Visited July 2012
2 Thank CampAdvisor

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Palos Heights, Illinois
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 327 helpful votes
“Not much snow. Limited skiing. Scenic outlook”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

It was unfortunate that there was hardly any snow when I visited the Arizona Snowbowl. It was sunny and the views of the surrounding countryside and Humphrey's Peak were very pretty; but I had come to ski. The ski area is not very large so when runs shut down there are few alternatives. I understood there were many issues surrounding the controversial snow making plans of the resort but the lack of snow did bring home the impetus behind those plans. Be sure to check snow conditions ahead of time before driving up. I would definitely not make Snowbowl a "destination" ski outing but perhaps something to consider as a side trip when visiting Flagstaff or the Grand Canyon during the winter. I am sure the experience would have been much better with a lot more snow.

Visited February 2012
skiinginaz, Public Relations Manager at Arizona Snowbowl, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hello,
We're sorry to hear you had bad snow conditions while you were here. We now have a fully functioning snow-making system which is keeping the runs in great condition, and has allowed us to build our largest terrian park ever! Check out the video of our snow-making equiptment to see it in action http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/video/.

We hope you come back to see how we've improved!
Scottsdale, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Spoiled creamer”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I took my family for a ride on the ski lift a couple of weeks ago. As always the ride is fun and worth doing.
It happened to be cold on this day so I decided to get some coffee to warm up. When I went to get the creamer for the coffee I noticed that the lids on the creamers were lifting easily. As I poured the creamer into the coffee, clumps of spoiled cream came out. I opened 4 others and they were the same. I advised the girls in the gift shop; which is where I bought the coffee. One of the girls just said OK. I thought that one of the girls would remove the cream and replace the basket with others. They did no such thing. I was there for about an hour waiting for family members to decend from the mountain and noticed the creamer still there. I took it upon myself to throw them away as I didn't want anyone else to use the creamer. My family and I were planning to have lunch in their retaurant, however, after this, chose not to.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank itabuna
Flagstaff, Arizona
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Beautiful setting for mediocre experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I get that the mountain is beautiful and sometimes you just need to ski. Riding the lift in the fall is scenic and nice. But this isn't really a great skiing experience. I only went once cause I have some ethical issues with skiing on fake snow on a mountain that is sacred to indigenous people, so my opinion is admittedly biased and based on very limited info, but I would go elsewhere next time. For many reasons. My adult son had the same impression during a separate visit. His review was "It was ok, but pricey."

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Mom_with_Teenagers14
Painesville, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Big Mountain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

We were hopeing to get to travel up the ski lift but it is only open on friday, sat/sun. The drive up was great, check your brakes on the way down.

Visited May 2012