“Refreshing, romantic, peaceful, impressive.”

The Arboretum at Flagstaff
Ranked #40 of 112 things to do in Flagstaff
More attraction details
Owner description: Created to help people understand the flora of northeastern Arizona, this 200-acre botanical garden includes 2,500 species of high elevation plants and miles of walking trails to explore them.
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Lovely! Made for a wonderful day. The many gardens were both interesting and charming. It would have been perfect for a 1st date.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"bark"
"pine"

Reviewed October 7, 2011

I am not sure what some of the negative reviewers thought they were buying - if somewhere calls itself an arboretum and you have to drive some way along a dirt forest road, then you should resonably expect the place to be horticultural rather than a theme park.

The regular guided talks were exvcellent and informative and sort to draw parallels and differences to the home environments of the vistors, and the self guided elements were well described and straightforward to follow.

If plants, learning and natural beauty are your thing then highly recommended - if you want to be fed entertainment and an act, then save yourself the drive.

1  Thank BFG
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Maybe I had low expectations given one of the other reviews but I thought the Arboretum was a pleasant surprise. There is a nice trail and it doesn't take too long to see the entire place. My children actually were more interested in the many lizards along the paths than the flowers but at least they kept them (the kids, not the lizards) interested. I would not travel a long way to go to the Arboretum but if you're in the area, it makes for a good side-trip.

Reviewed December 11, 2010

The professionalism at the Arboretum is lacking. I had an 'ex' employee complete a verbal contract with me regarding using the property for my wedding. This same employee had the means to contact me to notify me of any upcoming changes, which he failed to do. The first woman I emailed was very quick to state that things had changed and defend the employee who no longer worked there. The next woman I spoke to on the phone also made a verbal agreement to try and 'work something out' between the 'ex' employee's agreement and the new contract pricing- she did not. Now it appears that in my position, if I wish to remain at the Arboretum, I have to pay 5 times more money for exactly the same date- a $2000 price increase- and for fewer hours than originally discussed. I was cooperative in working with the Arboretum in scheduling my wedding- both in the morning, the time of the month, and in holding off on the contract and deposit. Now the Arboretum is refusing to work with me in any way. I am forced to find a new venue, with only 7 months until my wedding, when I thought that this detail had been completed in May. While my fiancé and I had spoken very highly of the Arboretum, we now have no choice but to inform our friends and family about the situation. I also feel obligated to inform as many people as I can about my treatment, especially brides- there are better venues out there! Better priced and much more professional! Don't waste your time here.

3  Thank AZgirl85
See more reviews
Reviewed January 3, 2009

We visited @ winter (Jan 2). Everything covered in over 1' snow - very pretty. The 3M drive through the forest was beautiful. They have just aquired several owls, hawks & falcons & incorporated this into an extremely educational & informative Raptor centre. Susan was extremly inspirational & knowledgable, as well as whole-heartedly dedicated to her feathered friends. My 16 year old was in awe, & our 8 yr old luved it. Walking in the snow trails being followed by a hawk above you was amazing. Holding an European Eagle Owl was a 1-in-a-lifetime experience. This was a fantastic experience to get up close to birds we rarely even see in the distance, not to mention touch & hold!
Keep in mind, this is a non-profit organization & depend on us for donations, since they do not get any state or federal assistance! These gorgeous birds absolutly deserve our charitable donations.

3  Thank LindaRan