“Family Reunion -- Perfect Place!”

Arizona Mountain Inn & Cabins
Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Phoenix
“Family Reunion -- Perfect Place!”
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We stayed at the Arizona Mountain Inn in February and couldn’t have asked for more special accommodations. We had a small family reunion of about 25 people. The Hogan was the cabin we gathered in to have all of our family functions including meals. It was great! We also rented Cabin 1, 14 and 15. (Cabin 1 is my personal favorite.)

My husband and I have stayed at the Inn one other time in a smaller cabin, so I was amazed to see the variety of cabins they offer. I think their web site is very thorough and provides a ton of information that helped us while plan for our reunion. I had a few other questions that I didn’t see on the Web site and the girl I spoke to in the office was very helpful and friendly. Their rates wer very reasonable especially compared to just a ‘standard’ hotel room. There was a ton of snow there and everyone loved the sledding hill. There were snowmen everywhere! I’d definitely recommend the Inn for any time of year (last time we stayed it was in the summer), but all that snow really made it special! I can’t think of anything negative about the Inn except I wished we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Rebox1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 20, 2010

I stayed at the AZ Mountain Inn many times throughout college and really enjoyed it. Years later, I took my fiance for a visit. We fell so in love with Flagstaff, we decided to have our wedding there the next year. We were married in one of the nearby national parks and stayed in cabin #5 for the wedding and honeymoon. In fact, we cooked our wedding steaks on the little grill outside the cabin and had our wedding dinner in cabin #2 (where my parents stayed). We have a lot of fond memories at the Inn.

Reading these comments I had to chuckle a little. This place is old, no doubt. The furniture is a little dated, the sheets a little worn. Obviously they are not pouring tons of money into the place. I'm not upset that they aren't because if they were, if the cabins were nicer with all the touches of class 1) it would be so popular we'd never get a reservation 2) it wouldn't be the same.

We stay here because at night we can light the little fireplace, open the bizarre "window" from the bathroom into the living room, rest in the spa tub and watch the fire with a glass of bubbly. We don't have cable, internet, phone, to muck with. We are peacefully alone and unplugged in the wilderness. And if our socks get a little dirty and we see a few spiders - well, we're in a cabin, folks. In the middle of the woods. Not the Waldorf Astoria.

If you like comfort and luxury- go elsewhere. You will be miserable. If you are looking for a private little getaway, a place to crash after hiking the local national parks, without much to go on but rustic charm, this is the spot.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank astro17
US
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We stayed at the AMI cabins several times about five years ago and were looking forward to our return. The good news is not much has changed, but that is the bad news as well.

The cabin we stayed in was filthy. You could not walk around without shoes on for less than five minutes without your feet turning black. Inside. The entire cabin was in desperate need of cleaning. For the rate we payed, in excess of $500 for two nights, the minimum I would expect is a clean room.

Overall, the scenery is the only positive. However, the amount of development around the property is starting to be significant enough to detract from the remote nature that we previously enjoyed. I will other accommodations next time I am in Flagstaff.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ThisIsBlank
North Carolina
Reviewed July 17, 2009

The positive first: Private!!! Dogs Welcomed!!! Laundry room until 8pm.!!!

We knew there was no A/C however we had no idea it was gonna be so HOT in the cabin, it was very uncomfortable we even considered leaving early we stayed 4 days! The fans just didnt cut it, we went in July.

Would not recommend for families with children, Not much for the kids to do. The park needs to be updated it is the old metal playground equip from the 1970s! There is no wifi access which we didnt think would be an issue but was especially since we needed access to find things to do in the area, get directions, and locate where to eat or grocery stores!

We stayed in Cabin 6 and it was a bit cramped for us, 2 adults, 5 yr old child and 1 yr old child.

We were not too impressed with the staff, not very helpful about the area when asked questions, no mail svc etither, so if you want to mail something like a post card or what have you...you need to go into Flagstaff.

Our refridge didnt work well either, our ice cream melted into soup!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Guildford
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Our party of 4 loved the Arizona Mountain Inn. It was so much better than staying in motel rooms.

We had cabin 13. All of the cabins are located in woods.

The decor was fairly old and a little scruffy but we had come prepared for this and so it wasn't a shock. We loved having a living room so that we could sit and socialise together. Unfortunately we had 2 nights of rain so couldn't use the bbq.

One of our party is morbidly afraid of spiders so contacted the hotel before our visit to ask if they could do anything about it. They responded promptly and politely saying they would go around specially to get rid of any spiders. I only saw one in 3 days.

The inn is well located and is only a $10 ride from downtown Flagstaff. I recommend a visit to Altitudes bar for their specials and a tasty pint of Fat Tire.

There is a decent Safeway on the route into town for food and supplies.

Don't come here if you want luxery and a really clean hotel but do come here if you want something with character and to socialise.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
FL
Reviewed April 15, 2009

This was just what I was looking for, a cabin in the woods for my family of 4 driving from Sedona up to the Grand Canyon. We stayed in Cabin 8 2 nights with a view of the San Francisco peaks. PLENTY of Hot Water for all 4 of us to take showers. The Wood fireplace will really heat the place up so take it easy on it. I liked the Grill on the deck and we had some BBQ pork chops one night. The nice folks let us take the "take out" bible back to the cabin to get some food delivered. It's close to oak creek canyon (89A) and I-40 to take you out to Sunset Crater and walnut canyon. Sunset Crater and the drive through the painted desert to Wupatki was amazing! Do it if you’re in flag for the day. Walnut Canyon with a 6 yr old was more terrifying than the edges of the Grand Canyon!

My kids loved the "room" in the loft and thought this was the best place we stayed in AZ.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FLtoAZtraveler
La Jolla, CA
Reviewed March 15, 2009

My wife and I almost never give places we stay at poor ratings, but this one couldn't go unnoticed. If I am honest with my self, and ignore our obvious "I hate this place moments" (which we had more than once), the only plus to the Arizona Mountain Inn was the location, which was tucked away in the thick green of beautiful Flagstaff AZ. Other than that this stay was a Nightmare. I will briefly run through the list.
1. The owner (the guy) was a scum bag, I caught him looking at my wife with a creepy glare a few times, and not at her eye's.
2. The cabin was disgusting, we wore socks around the cabin for fear of touching the ground with our feet.
3. Our first cabin REAKED of vomit, but thanks to the ever so hospitable owners, they moved us after we dragged them both into our Cabin to smell it.
4. Both cabins that we saw had WAY to many spiders. (Obviously I would expect to see one or two, but this was more like 14 or 15!)
5. The single most uncomfortable mattress I have ever been on in my life, my back is still in pain.
The list goes on, all in all I would NEVER recommend this place to any one, you are better off staying at ANY other hotel in Flag, if you want the whole out in the wilderness feel, pitch a tent and sleep on the ground, you will get a better nights sleep.
I guess I have one more nice thing to say about this place, the sugar muffins are tasty.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple