“so very cool.. thanks to wife for finding it....”
Review of Lava River Cave

Lava River Cave
Ranked #8 of 112 things to do in Flagstaff
Reviewed July 6, 2014

did it today .... was a tough hike down into the cave opening and def. took some effort to make it all the way to the back.. it was a bit tougher for my wife but she was a trooper and made it all the way in and all the way out on her own.....
just some good advice about doing this trip...

TAKE YOUR OWN LIGHT (flashlight NOT your cellphone !!!) real flashlight but a LED headlamp would even work better so you can use both your hands..... do NOT DEPEND ON SOMEONE ELSE TO LIGHT YOUR PATH....

WATCH YOUR STEP (lots and lots and lots of places to break a leg/ankle/arm etc.)

DO NOT TAKE YOUR 2-3-4-5yr old kids into the cave with you ... this is NOT A PLACE FOR KIDS THAT YOUNG !!!

GOOD SOLID SOLE SHOES

COAT (not -40* type coat but something that will be comfy in 32* for a few hours) i used a regular sweatshirt and was ok....

8  Thank lance s
in 14 reviews
"hands and knees"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 5, 2014

It's a little challenging with boulders to crawl over, really low ceilings in places, and very uneven footing. But definitely worth the effort! Make sure you have good flashlights and maybe backup batteries. Also good hiking boots help. What a unique hike!

2  Thank Joel W
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Family of five trekked all the way to the end of the cave and back, we had a blast. It was surprising how cool it was in there and great to get out of the 90+ degree heat. Definitely worth the time and energy. Dried basalt lava, cavernous in places and had to duck/almost crawl through in others.

I recommend taking a headband type lamp (and a backup (I used the flashlight function of my smartphone as backup), since you will need both hands in places, especially near the entrance.

1  Thank NCLimey
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The rest of the group thought it was awesome...but I lagged behind with my mother-in-law (a 74-year old spry hiker) and wasn't thrilled. Our flashlights were not bright enough and we had a difficult time navigating the boulder-strewn floor (she kept calling the rocks "ankle breakers"). The gravel road driven to the cave was really rough - fine if you have a truck but in a regular car, the ruts were a little much. It was interesting, for sure, but if I go again, I will go early with extremely bright LED flashlights, gloves and hiking boots.

1  Thank Arlene C
See more reviews
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I visited this sight, and we loved it! No admission price is a plus, but make sure you follow directions on the web site for the cave. We drove right to it, no problem.

It is quite the trek all the way to the end, make SURE to bring flashlights/headlights with FRESH batteries....You'll need them!! And also good hiking shoes. The floor of the cave is very rough in places, and I could feel the rocks through the bottom of my sneakers. A heavier shoe sole would have done me well.

My advice is to NOT bring your pets. There are no garbage facilities in the cave. Please pack out what you pack in!

1  Thank Brian H

Been to Lava River Cave? Share your experiences!