“Historic and Funky in Downtown Flagstaff”
Review of Hotel Monte Vista

Hotel Monte Vista
Ranked #29 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed January 5, 2011

A grand old hotel that is well preserved with many architectural flourishes. The staff are friendly and the rooms are basic but comfortable. The hotel uses famous guests as a hook to name their rooms. There is a John Wayne suite, Zane Gray suite, Bon Jovi suite, etc. We were assigned to the Siouxsie (of Siouxsie and the Banshees) suite which was fine by me although I couldn't name a song by the band if I had to. Little did I know that the room was over the equally funky hotel bar and that it was karaoke night. We never saw another party on our floor so at 12:30 AM I started to wonder why we weren't at the opposite end of the hall. Oh well. All in all not a bad hotel for an over-night in downtown Flagstaff, which by the way is very vibrant and welcoming.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 1, 2010

We only spent a couple of nights at the Monte Vista and we enjoyed every single minute of our stay. Our room was on the 2nd floor, it was very clean and had it's own bathroom/shower (yea!), and the bed was extremely comfortable. Yes the rooms appear to be outdated but it adds to the charm and the history of the hotel.
This was our first trip to Flagstaff and we cannot wait to return! Oh yeah, and we will definitely stay at the Monte Vista again....great location!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Great hotel. Stay on the 4th floor and get ready to party.

Reviewed July 15, 2010

We spent our second night in Flagstaff at the Monte Vista - our first night's Hotel was full. Having read in our holiday guide that the place can be rowdy at night we decided to chance it anyway. The two ladies on reception we met were friendly and helpful. Parking was not a problem for that night -we were given a card to put on the dashboard and parked behind the hotel. We had the 'Michael Stipe' room. Yes, the carpet was a bit shaggy and dirty looking. The bathroom had original fixtures and fittings with no room to put toiletery bags. The curtains didn't close properly - but the bed was comfy. I would give the hotel a rating somewhere between average and very good as an overall experience - it was certainly a bit different. I would stop again there if needs be, but Flagstaff is a great place to visit with lots of available accomodation.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C_Sutty
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We thought we discovered a gem when we walked into the lobby of the "Monte V". ..cool lobby, martini bar, in the midst of old downtown. We spent some time with the clerk picking out and reserving a good room (based on hotel map and recommendation of clerk) for our return through Flag five days later. When we returned, our room had been given to someone else. The desk clerk, sensing our disappointment and irritation, allowed us to check out what was left. This is what we found: old shag carpeting, rumpled-looking beds, tiny gross bathrooms, and a general feeling of dilapidation. One of the rooms we entered was already occupied--obviously the front desk was behind on which rooms were rented. There was no way my bare feet were going to touch those floors or my body get under those covers. Since it was the hotel's error, we cancelled without penalty and found clean lodging elsewhere. We were very thankful for their error.

We've stayed in many historic hotels. Never have we seen one so dilapidated and dirty as this one. They boast about the uniqueness of each room, but of the three we saw, the uniqueness seemed to be about wall and ceiling color. They were all the same in terms of lack of cleanliness. I think they put all their money into the lobby area--which definitely is attractive.

The ratings--especially "sleep quality" are not based on actually staying there. I did briefly lie on top of the beds to get a sense of comfort, but I honestly didn't want to linger too long because they didn't seem clean. So, I can't imagine that my sleep would have been very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gore1111jp
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I was looking forward to staying at this historic old hotel. I arrived at 1:00 a.m., with no rental car. The room was dark and damp, there was no air conditioning, but with no screens, I couldn't even open the windows. The bathroom was filthy, the toilet had obviously not been cleaned (you can just imagine what I saw on the seat). I checked out first thing in the morning. I complained to the desk clerk and when she spoke to the manager sitting about 10 feet away with his back to us, he allowed a small discount, but he never even turned around to acknowledge me or to apologize for the filthy room. This was the worst experience I've ever had in a hotel! I would recommend you stay away from it!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Jerseygirl77_10
Reviewed May 1, 2010

We arrived in Flagstaff late on a Friday with no room reservation. We found a non-smoking double room at the Monte Vista. The room was pretty standard at the back of the hotel - clean, slightly small bathroom and slightly worn but overall fine. Several of the public areas of the hotel were being refurbished when we stayed - not a big issue. The hotel has 2 bars but when these closed the party moved upstairs to the corridor outside our room until 5 am - not fun for those of us who wanted to sleep. We probably should have complained to the front-desk. The hotel has a great location in central Flagstaff near to lots of restaurants and bar. Think I would try another town center hotel next time.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple