“Ideal location for a classic Flag experience!”
Review of Hotel Monte Vista

Hotel Monte Vista
Ranked #29 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Savannah, Georgia
“Ideal location for a classic Flag experience!”
Reviewed August 26, 2007

I'm so glad I didn't rely on the travel websites to find a hotel for our 'mom & dad visit the campus' weekend; I knew there had to be something better in an old Route 66 town than a Quality Inn or Super 8 (ugh). So I just googled Flagstaff Hotels and this one popped up -- what a stroke of luck! We loved this place. We were in the "Cornell Wilde" room on the 4th floor (I remember the name, but that's it -- shoulda been a pic of him somewhere). It was centrally located to everything we needed it to be. We walked to some satisfying eateries (Matterhorn Grill, Pita Pit), and a few not so great as well (the diner on the next block) . . . It was close to NAU and lots of cute shops. Our room was really clean and the bed was huge and comfortable. Yeah, there is the TRAIN, but by the second night it wasn't so bad. I really am comforted by the sound of a train (maybe a little more distant, but oh well!) -- btw, these trains don't seem to even slow down when passing thru town, which is a bit thrilling, if not scary. We were there two nights (Thursday/Friday) and it did get a bit noisier in the TWO bars downstairs on Friday night. But, I'd still rather have all that than standard freeway truck noises and cookie-cutter motel decor. Hey people, life's too short. Live a little! I mean, Jon Bon Jovi and Anthony Hopkins have rooms named for them, which means THEY stayed there and not in the distant past, either!
Tips: (1) Be aware Flagstaff is at 7000 feet altitude, so if you're a bottom dweller, allow yourself at least 24 hours to acclimate (drink lots of H2O and little of ETOH); (2) The elevator works MOST of the time, but if you are on the 4th floor on the first day, and the elevator is out of order -- it's okay to take your time trudging up the stairs!

• Liked — classic old hotel ambiance, high ceilings, eclectic period decor
  • Disliked — can't think of anything I really didn't like
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed August 11, 2007

I wish I had read all of the reviews prior to booking the room. The location was great! The room was lacking in many ways...there was no air conditioning unit in our room and when we inquired at the desk they seemed shocked and the clerk said "maybe someone stole it!" We requested a fan which never came. One employee told us the room was under renonvation that is why the a/c unit was gone, the desk manager told us there was never an a/c unit in the room. A/C would not have been a problem but we had to sleep with the windows open and listen to the sound of the trains (every 45 minutes all night long), the bar crowd (until 2:00 a.m.) and the garbage trucks at 6:30 a.m. Our room (#412) was not even listed as a guest room on the hall plaques....the fixtures were hanging from the ceiling by wire with all light bulbs exposed, the historic funiture consisted of an old bar table and two patio chairs, a TV with a huge hole melted in the top and a salvation army style nightstand. This room looked NOTHING LIKE THE PICS ON THE WEBSITE! We are still laughing about this rather unusual hotel and the experience there.

Loved Flagstaff and the downtown area but will try another hotel next time we visit.....

• Liked — Location, Location, Location!
  • Disliked — Not as advertised.....rooms lacked charm and ambiance
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AKAJAWS

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Prescott
Reviewed July 31, 2007

The Monte "V" is a nice place to stay if you want to stay in a unique hotel and have fun in flagstaff, although you must like trains because you will hear them from your room all night. The rooms are large and clean. The staff is very friendly.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
arizona
Reviewed July 8, 2007

Quite simply, do not stay here. Don't even park there, while my friend and I were looking at the rooms (which are very vintage in a NON appealing way), they put a BOOT on our car! The hotel hires young teenagers to stake out the parking lot and put concrete boots on cars that are not registered at the hotel.

As far as the rooms go - save yourself some time, please. Don't even check them out. The carpet is old and has mildew in it. It's dirty and smells bad. The rooms are disgusting. The hotel boasts of "local color and vintage" but by "vintage" they simply mean "old" and unsuitable for human living conditions.

The bathrooms aren't isolated, you step into an old tiled shower box with an old glass door and step out onto your room, the old carpet. There is no "bath room" it's just a toliet in a small closet and then step into a "shower closet" Definitely not for people that want to "get away" and relax. It's disgusting.

The must unfriendly staff I've ever encountered. They charged me $40 after booting my car while I was checking out the rooms - I was a potential customer. Horrible customer service.

The essential quality of any decent hotel is cleanliness - this hotel doesn't have it. It doesn't have service and it is expensive. I would have rather stayed in a wet, cold tent outside the hotel.

• Liked — Uh, nothing. Absolutely nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything sucked.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
9 Thank loveaz
dublin
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I really enjoyed my stay here. I only stayed one night and I knew about the trains and the noise from the bars before I booked the place. But those were part of the charm. I found the staff very helpful and pleasant which contradicts with what others have written and the room was clean and well kept. I'd definitely stay there again, and hopefully I will because downtown Flagstaff really is a great place!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
tempe, az
Reviewed June 25, 2007

I would recommend the Hotel Monte Vista to those who have a spirit of adventure, enjoy historic hotels and can appriciate the unique qualities of them. If you like chains that look the same wherever you go this might not be the place for you. The Monte V is funky and fun, each room completely different from the next. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Clark Gable room which was a corner room on the forth floor. If you can get a corner room take it as they are a bit bigger than some other rooms. We had a king size bed and a queen and the bed was very comfortable.

I won't say we slept too well on Saturday night as it was noisy. The trains are loud and the crowd from the bar is even louder so be prepared. Sunday night was much quieter.

The bathroom was small but clean and they give you Aveda products, which I thought was a nice touch.

During the day the staff will open up the unoccupied rooms and I would encourage you to peek your head in as we did. It's fun to see how each room is decorated differently. The Air Supply room and the Ester Williams room were really standouts.

The location of the Monte V can't be beat. We barely used our car all weekend as there are so many great places to eat and shop right downtown.

Overall, the Monte V is a great place if you are looking for something you can't get from a Holiday Inn - like personality!

• Liked — that every room was different
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trippin76
Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2007

I booked this hotel, wanting to spend a little more a little nicer place so we could enjoy the downtown area of quaint Flagstaff and have a nice room. The only thing nice was leaving that dump. Tiny room, ugly decorations, ancient tv, and they put us right above the bar where a rock band was playing till 2 am. Way overpriced. When I complained about the noise, they offered me earplugs. Earplugs were no good for noise that loud. They didn't try to move us when I asked to be moved to another room. They did give me $10 back and tell me the manager would contact me and perhaps offer me a greater refund. I'm not waiting by the phone.

• Stayed May 2007