“Great place to stay!”
Review of Hotel Monte Vista

Hotel Monte Vista
Ranked #29 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed July 2, 2007

I really enjoyed my stay here. I only stayed one night and I knew about the trains and the noise from the bars before I booked the place. But those were part of the charm. I found the staff very helpful and pleasant which contradicts with what others have written and the room was clean and well kept. I'd definitely stay there again, and hopefully I will because downtown Flagstaff really is a great place!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 25, 2007

I would recommend the Hotel Monte Vista to those who have a spirit of adventure, enjoy historic hotels and can appriciate the unique qualities of them. If you like chains that look the same wherever you go this might not be the place for you. The Monte V is funky and fun, each room completely different from the next. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Clark Gable room which was a corner room on the forth floor. If you can get a corner room take it as they are a bit bigger than some other rooms. We had a king size bed and a queen and the bed was very comfortable.

I won't say we slept too well on Saturday night as it was noisy. The trains are loud and the crowd from the bar is even louder so be prepared. Sunday night was much quieter.

The bathroom was small but clean and they give you Aveda products, which I thought was a nice touch.

During the day the staff will open up the unoccupied rooms and I would encourage you to peek your head in as we did. It's fun to see how each room is decorated differently. The Air Supply room and the Ester Williams room were really standouts.

The location of the Monte V can't be beat. We barely used our car all weekend as there are so many great places to eat and shop right downtown.

Overall, the Monte V is a great place if you are looking for something you can't get from a Holiday Inn - like personality!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trippin76
Reviewed June 19, 2007

I booked this hotel, wanting to spend a little more a little nicer place so we could enjoy the downtown area of quaint Flagstaff and have a nice room. The only thing nice was leaving that dump. Tiny room, ugly decorations, ancient tv, and they put us right above the bar where a rock band was playing till 2 am. Way overpriced. When I complained about the noise, they offered me earplugs. Earplugs were no good for noise that loud. They didn't try to move us when I asked to be moved to another room. They did give me $10 back and tell me the manager would contact me and perhaps offer me a greater refund. I'm not waiting by the phone.

• Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank JohnnyTTexas
Reviewed June 11, 2007

When you check-in, there is a sign that says" Earplugs available upon request". If you're unsure, just ask for them. This is one of the busiest Amtrak corridors in the nation, and the trains run ALL night. Scenes from Casablanca were filmed in the rooms and at the Rendezvous bar. The elevator is singular, old and original--the hotel was built in 1926. The bar itself is a blast, and clearly the hottest destination for Flagstonians. When I stayed on a Tuesday night, they had hundreds packed in for the main event-Karaoke! Although the karaoke list was weak, the Flagstonians and their bartenders were a lot of fun. The fun lasts late, though, and if you want solitude, you won't get it here. If you're staying here, plan to stay out a little late and it won't matter. And if your body is still on east coast time, it's easy to be a night owl. The staff was very cool, and the Clark Gable suite was awesome, although the bathrooms are tiny and unventilated. A corner room here gets you the best views and breezes. I'll never stay anywhere else in Flagstaff. If you're simply looking for a quiet place to sleep, there are LOTS of motor inn options available for a fraction of the price. However, if you want to meet some actual Flagstonian locals and some NAU co-eds, this is your place!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank ameriphobe
Reviewed June 4, 2007

The location is great but they don't warn you about the train that is two blocks away and passes through every 45 minutes all night long. It blows its whistle every time through. They offer free ear plugs at the front desk but they are so small they might plug a mouse's ear. Also, the street below is loud all night. They told us to park our car in their lot which is cramped and of course our car was side swiped while in the lot. We had a strange encounter with a hotel worker in the middle of the night when we were waiting for the elevator. They started becoming agressive when they over heard our private conversation about how slow the elevator was. The elevator is from the 1920s or something and we privately making fun of it. This worker became hostile and it made the rest of our stay feel unwelcome.

The rooms are historic and clean. The bed is comfortable. The front desk staff is nice. Even though we were only about 2 hours from Phoenix I felt like we were back in time but that is the point of a historic hotel right? The ghost stories and pictures are cool.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Travel_Happy00
Reviewed May 21, 2007

The Hotel Motel Vista was a great stay. The room price was negotiable. This location allowed us to make several day trips ( the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Sunset Crater Volcano, etc) and return to the hotel each night, no packing and unpacking. Several local eating places proved to be inexpensive and delightful. Be sure to visit Oreganos and Cafe Express. Take in an evening at the Lowell observatory to see the stars and planets.
You can spend a week at the Monte Vista enjoying the local cuisine and the unbelievable sights and stay within a fairly tight budget.
Remember too, that Flagstaff is above 7,00 feet and you can freeze your tail off even during the month of May.
Trains seem to run through Flagstaff and near the Monte Vista every few minutes. The volumes of trains seem to peak sometime during the middle of the night. It's not so much the trains as their horns. The trains seem to rock you asleep then the horns wake you.
The stay at the Monte Vista was great and the sights within driving distance of Flagstaff were fantistic.

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed May 17, 2007

Dad, mom, sis and I stayed at Hotel Monte Vista for 3 nights and we all rave about it! Every room has its own identity, so you may want to inquire about the "personality" of the room before booking it. We stayed in the Jack Daniels room. Beds were extremely comfortable, and we shared a common bath area with rooms on each side. The location is superb with all of downtown Flagstaff within walking distance. There's a lovely coffee shop downstairs that doubles as a martini bar at night. If you're afraid the music from local pubs or bars on the street will be a nuisance at night, the staff is more than accomodating to find you a room where the windows open up to the alley. Be mindful there were no A/C units, but for us, it wasn't a problem since the temperature never got above 75 degrees during the day, and even dipped into the low 30's at night. All in all, it was an excellent hotel and we all highly recommend it. Plus, their room rates will beat almost any hotel in the city!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family