“Not so hot”
Review of Hotel Monte Vista

Hotel Monte Vista
Ranked #30 of 65 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed March 13, 2007

After check-in we climbed the stairs to our third and fourth floor rooms (elevator not working).
The following morning we reported no hot water in a couple of the rooms and the heat didn't work properly.
Parking space is limited in the lot but we lucked out and found a spot.
You can hear the trains but that was okay since we arrived on Amtrak and planned to ride the Verde Canyon Railroad and the Grand Canyon Railway.
The hot water and heat problem was not corrected and they didn't offer another room.
We wanted to check out (pay our bill) the night before our early morning departure but they couldn't handle that either.
The clerk assured us they would give a credit for the cold water in the shower but that remains to be seen.
The really bad part is when I checked my credit card statement they more than double charged me. I called the manager, Saffron, and she said she would credit my account. Over a week later I checked and she added another $419.00 to the card! Now I am waiting for a return call.
It might not be a bad idea if the fire marshall did an inspection. They lock the front door at night without a panic bar. The stairway is open without the protection of doors on each level.
The bar is noisy and the tatoo parlor was busy.
It is an easy walk from the Amtrak train station.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank Passenger-Rail
There are newer reviews for Hotel Monte Vista

Reviewed March 11, 2007

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend. Two rooms and little sleep later, we can recommend this hotel for people who intend to be out and up until 3 a.m. only. The first night we were in a room on the 4th floor almost directly above the hotel's dive bar. Screaming drunk people, a booming bouncer's voice, and bongo drums prevented us from sleeping. I called the front desk for the third time a little before 2 a.m. They were friendly, but couldn't let us out of our reservation for the following night as the policy demands 48 hours notice. Instead they promised us a room change in the morning. Around 2:30 a.m. when all the drunk kids finally got in their cars and went home, a drum circle (along with a tamborine player) spontaneously formed outside the pita place across the street and played until just before 3. I wished for water balloons.

The next morning we got "upgraded" to a bigger room around the corner. That night the street wasn't as noisy, but we still ended up turning on the TV around 2 a.m. to try to block out the yelling of the departing bar-goers. Then drunk kids came yelling down our hallway to their room but blessedly passed out. But we still did not get much sleep, the shower in the second room was useless (was good in the first room at least), and the lamp on the nightstand had no lightbulb.

The hotel has the very noisy dive bar and also "Rendevous," a coffee shop/bar downstairs that is worth visiting, as well as many nearby restaurants and bars. Then after a lovely night out, you ought to retreat to a hotel somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tucsontraveler1974
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Recommendation #1- Make sure you have a written confirmation. Our bad experience started during the reservation process. We called to two rooms for two nights a month ahead of arival. They said they would either email or send us a confirmation, after one week we called and mentioned we did not yet receive confirmation. They no longer had are reservation so we rebooked and they said at the time they couldn't give us a confirmation number, but not to worry we were confirmed. NOT. When we arrived - there was not a reservation in the system. Fortunately - they had two rooms. BOTH were dumps.

Recommendation #2- Even if the hotel staff tells you it is ok to park on the street- DO NOT park on the street. Hotel parking is extremely limited and was full, so we asked where we should park. The hotel clerk stated that we could park on the street and if we got a ticket, simply bring it back to the hotel and they would pay it. The first evening, we got a ticket but thought nothing of it since we were told it was ok. The next night we once again had to park on the street. At 4am, we started hearing cars being towed on the street below our room. My boyfriend quickly ran out to the street and fortunately made it to the car moments before being towed. Twenty other hotel guests were not so lucky. He asked the officer where we could park if we could not be on the street - his response was "not his problem" as he handed us parking ticket No. 2. As we were anxiously checking out, we handed the manager of the hotel our ticket, and she responded with "not her problem and got it is up to the customer to read the street signs." We explained it was her employees telling people it was ok to park on the street. She repeated her response.

Recommendation #3. Bring your own sheets, and household cleaner. Need I say more - the place is Filthy!

Recommendation #4. Bring headphones or earplugs. The noise from the downstairs bar lasts well into the wee hours of the morning and the weather man likes to do a very loud live weather report right below your window.

Recommendation #5. Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank AL65
Reviewed November 18, 2006

BEWARE!

My husband and I planned a two day trip to Flagstaff. I checked the internet to scope out some local hotels. We wanted to stay as close to downtown as possible but wanted to make sure the place we picked was clean and comfortable.

What I saw on Monte Vista’s website looked to be what we wanted. We had stayed at historic hotels in the past that had been lovingly restored and decorated. According to the pictures on the web site, we had found another one. Boy was I wrong. The place was a dump with a capital “D”. There were no night stands, bedside lamps, or clock. The cleanliness of the bathroom and the overall room was very poor.

I am not sure what look they were striving for with the angel heads glued on the ceiling but the whole look was tacky to say the least! I told my husband when we saw the room they should pay the web designer a “bundle” because he made a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

We had one of the most disturbing nights of sleep (or lack there of) we have ever experienced. Between the reveling partiers in the street and the frequent trains (every 15 minutes) neither of us slept. I went down to the desk to explain what a terrible time we were having and wanted to see if they would let us leave a night early. Of course the not so nice desk clerk (who said she was a manager) said that we were welcome to leave but would forfeit the 2nd night’s rate. I thought it might help if I mentioned that the room we were in, looked nothing like the ones on the web site. She said that they did have those three rooms that they took pictures of. I am thinking that is the only three that have been remodeled so beware.

When I reserved the room, I was told they have a very strict 48 hour cancellation policy. I now know why, one look at the room and we would have run!

We left there feeling dirty and scammed. We will NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank April21996
Reviewed October 26, 2006

OK this is a historic hotel but we didn't expect medieval standards. We were glad that we had left kitty at home because the first room we were allocated would not have had enough room to swing him about in. In fact it was a bit of a joke - it was "!The Governors Room" and we decided it must have been the prison governors room - a dubious shade of green , a double room about 10' by 10' in need of a good clean. Don't ask for coathanger because they don't have them.
So we asked to move, and were given one of their best rooms.Admittedly much bigger, and interesting black and gold decor - Humphrey Bogart style. Unfortunately this did not inspire my husband but ev en so I did not manage a good night's sleep thanks to Santa Fe's railway insisting on it's version of the ride of the Valkyries eveyr fifteen minutes. The complimentary ear plugs should have given us a clue but this was the least of our problems. The towel rail fell off the wall and the shower was to say the least, dangerous, it was a question of hop in, soap up, jumpoutbefore scalding, turn on cold full, jump back in and jump outPDQ. Still fun.
The staff were good, depending on who you got but after all - this is a historic hotel, in the middle of downtown (where nothing happens anyway) so you pay premium rates. Just don'e expect premium standards. If you don'tmind getting ripped off, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thingx
Reviewed October 24, 2006

having read the reviews of monte vista i thought this place sounds different too your usual hotels so why not give it a try. Well i can say i wasn`t dissapointed this hotel has great character and is really a friendly place too stay. ok so you can hear trains but they really didn`t bother me during the night, they have live bands on friday and saturday so it can be a bit noisey but is also a great night if you want it too be, another highlight for me was sitting in there coffee bar watching the world go by drinking one of there lovely coffees,overall a great place

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled solo
1  Thank jasona
Reviewed October 14, 2006

We stayed at the Monte Vista in August. I was reading the reviews in this forum for a while and I almost didn't stayed but I'm glad I didn't believe all I read.
The noise of the trains is not that bad, if you pay attention you do hear the trains a little but not enough to keep you up all night.
The hotel is old so the rooms are a bit worn.
They have a nice cafeteria and a bar and it's very well located. If you're looking for a hotel with character and history you should stay there. If you just want a clean cheap room with no character then stay at any motel chain.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family