“it was great!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 64 Hotels in Flagstaff
Atlanta, GA
“it was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

I definitely agree with the earlier person who told all the whiners to can it. The MV was clean, in a fantastic location, affordable, and roomy. So yeah, I didn't get the pink room (our was the Jack Daniels room. Dark red carpet and drapes, and one of the walls was a light grey velvet. Very fun) but it was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the staff was great. The renovations might be ongoing, but not in any way disruptive. We had no issues parking (which might be trickier during high season, I can't say) and the works that's done is extensive and high-quality. Even my mom commented on how much work had obviously gone into refinishing all the interior doors for the rooms. I would have loved a tour of any unoccupied rooms to see the styles. We heard zero noise from the bar, and sure, there's a train - which ALL OF DOWNTOWN can hear. It never woke us up, but if you are a light sleeper ask for some earplugs or stay outside of town. We'll definitely stay there when we go back to ski next year!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

Sometime in the middle of the night, a cadre of drunken hooligans decided to profess their love for Lionel and the rest of the Thundercats. "Thundercats, Ho!' was the line repeated over and over at the top of their lungs with no regard to the patrons sleeping above. And this was probably the most peaceful moment we experienced until 4 am when things quieted down at the bar located directly below the room. I can relate to every negative comment on this board. The noise is horrendous, and it seems the hotel does not care about their guests' stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MonteVistaSucks
seanmcmahan, Exec Admin at Hotel Monte Vista, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
We sincerely apologize for any disturbance you had during your visit to the Monte Vista. We are located in downtown Flagstaff within the vicinity of numerous bars and restaurants. This is a convenience for travelers but can also be a burden. We are constantly trying to improve our accommodations and your comments help us know where to focus our attentions. In an effort to reduce the disturbance of noise for our guests we are upgrading and replacing all of the windows to better insulate the rooms from outside noise. We hope you can give us another chance to offer you a more enjoyable stay.

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Utrecht
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

This is one of the noisier hotels I have stayed. If the trains don't keep you awake, the patrons of the bar downstairs will. There was supposed to be free WiFi, but the system does not work on mobiles so it was useless to us. The room was poorly isolated but still incredibly stuffy. Was there anything good about the hotel? Oh yes, the staff was friendly and helpful and the central location means you don't need to go far for diner.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank VisaCollector
We are disappointed to learn that your stay was not entirely enjoyable and offer our apologies. We are excited that the train noise has been quieted. The train horns no longer blast every time they pass. As a historic hotel there are challenges with the rooms that we are trying to remedy. Extensive maintenance of the building has improved the insulation of the rooms and reduced outside noise. We are working to improve the Monte Vista and hope you will give us a chance to show you the changes we're making.
phoenix az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Love the history and location of this hotel. It was fun to take a shot and a beer in the cocktail lounge. play alittle pool and then walk around the beautiful old town. Of course, the train noise in any hotel in this Flagstaff location is a consideration. We stayed in the Lee Marvin room and it was very large, very comfortable. The only negative I would say was the bathroom as there was no countertop or shelving to put anything in there. Bed was very comfortable. Room was very clean. The wi-fi connection was not great in the room.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

My family had rented the Presendential Suite for one night on 12-27-09.
The hotel is historic and in various stages of restoration.
The reviewers who gave this place a bad rap are most likely accostomed to staying in Howard Johnsons or Hilton "canned" hotels. This one has awesome character. Ask for the complimentary ear plugs, as the train whistles are relentless...all night! The beds are comfortable and if you enjoy history and flavor...Monte Vista is the place!!!

Want Paranormal Experience???
It was approximately 7:05am on 12-28-09, when the event happened.
I had just begun to finally sleep when I felt really cold, shivery and felt like I had goosebumps all over. Beginning with my feet, the feeling got worse until it felt like I was being pressed down and not able to move, the sensation traveled to my upper body and it prevented me from taking deep breaths. I tried to say something and couldn't. I began to panic and tried with everything I had to scream, though I couldn't get enough air into my lungs to scream, all I could muster was some faint breathy groans. It was terrifying. While I was “screaming,” my lower jaw was being manipulated and was moving side to side pretty fast (I tried to duplicate the intensity when I woke up and could not move it as fast as it was). I let out about 5-7 of these sounds until whatever it was released it's hold and I sat up.

The hotel lobby desk clerk asked how the evening was and I told her some of the happenings. She gave me a printout of some other guest accounts of happenings and pointed to one in particular which was very similar to mine.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank zlezena
Kansas City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

Don't stay in the "Debbie Reynolds" room. Everything neon pink, even the floor grout! Room faces the street where either snow plows or trains seem to run all night/early morning. Hair dryer quit. No outlet you could use by sink (wedged between wall and cabinet). Other outlets so worn out would not hold a phone charger. Light switch for table swag had short in it-scared to use it. The carpet was so yuckey we kept our socks on. Front door of hotel very hard to find (no designated drop-off area). Bed was comfortable. Good location to walk around the town. Glad when they/me pushed my car stuck in their ice covered parking lot free so we could leave (we pushed a truck out too)! Hotel has some charm to it-not enough to overcome it's drawbacks for me to recommend to anyone over 50 years old.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Over50inKC
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

This is an adorable historic hotel in a cute mountain college town. It's even rumored to house some ghosts (the front desk can give you a list of it's legendary ghostly visitors). We had a blast here. We opted for a room with a shared bathroom and had no problems. The results = great price and we got to party and drink downstairs with out having to worry about parking and driving intoxicated. Fun place!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple