“We love history”
Review of Hotel Monte Vista

Hotel Monte Vista
Ranked #31 of 66 Hotels in Flagstaff
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is an historic hotel and has a long list of celebrities who've stayed there. As a writer, I intentionally chose the Zane Gray Room.

It was spacious and comfortable. It's a little different from staying in a modern day motel or hotel, but that difference is what made it a pleasurable stay. We loved the decor and the ambiance of the room. I can see why Zane Gray liked it and found it a comfortable place to write.

The staff were very friendly, especially in the bar where two of the bartenders shared their ghost stories with us.

It hangs on to just enough of the past to make it a unique stay, but not so much that you're inconvenienced by lack of amenities. Flagstaff has so much history and this hotel is the cornerstone of it.

Room Tip: Go to their website and pick out your favorite Hollywood star's room. It will add to your stay...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roger D

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Monte Vista has theme rooms, like the Gene Autry room, the Freddy Mercury room, etc. Some of the rooms are very nice. Some are old fashioned rooms without plumbing, so make sure you know what you are getting. We have had some nice stays here, but other times it was like staying the wild west, due to the noisy drunks getting rowdy after midnight, with the police and the hotel seeming to not notice the problem. The downstairs bar is kind of a biker place, and there is also a coffee shop with a liquor or wine license. My double Americano tasted like colored water, but that's on the barrista, not the hotel. The Freddy Mercury room is kind of creepy with dark blues and maroons, but the décor of the rooms kind of match their names. Suggest avoiding the Monte Vista on Valentines day, as the walls are a bit thin, if you know what I mean. Off street reserved parking is right around the side of the building, but is first come first served for tenants.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms over the bar or near the corner. Make sure your room has a bathroom..ask!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert V
Reviewed August 11, 2013

for years i have been fascinated by the hugh neon monte vista sign on roof of the old brick structure in downtown flagstaff. this fourth of july we booked a third-floor, corner room so we could view the parade. built in the 20s, the hotel has been restored but retains much of the charm of a by-gone day. our room was very large and offered a fine view of the two-hour extravaganza: a small-town celebration of our freedom.
while management has closed the coffee shop, the hotel has a large bar with live entertainment and a smaller bar/coffee bar off the old-time lobby. if you tire of cookie-cutter chains, the monte vista is a refreshing change. located within easy walking distance of many cafes and restaurants, it is a trip back in time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I'm sitting here in my King size bed for $110/night and am contemplating throwing my faux antique wooden chair out the window on the band below. It's a Thursday night and the front desk just informed me that the band will be playing their crappy music till 1 in the morning and there are no more rooms available at 9:45pm. That a band can even be heard in any of the rooms, particularly at a volume that would keep guests up, would have been helpful information when I checked in at 7:30 that night. Unfortunately dinner kept me from finding this out until too late.
I chose this hotel because I'm finishing up a cross country road trip seeing family and friends. I read in a Route 66 book that it might be haunted. Sounds interesting right? The only thing that haunts me is my bad decisions.
I'm tired. I have more driving to do. I'm not a hipster. I go to bed at a reasonable hour. Oops, my mistake for staying at the Hotel Monte Vista. I'll take a two star hotel over this [--] any day. Stiff mattress, tiny ineffective AC, a bathroom that yells at me for mistakenly being too big at 6'4"...and the music that doesn't stop till 1 in the morning...hopefully. Anyone that wrote a positive review on this hotel was either too high/drunk to notice the bass and drums outside their window or was lucky enough to get a room on the street side of the hotel. Go to a best western or some other brand-name hotel. It's worth the extra $10/20

UPDATE (Aug 8, 2013): Add to this situation the drunk guest who was as annoyed as I was by the band and decided to pull the fire alarm at 1:30 in the morning...not once, but twice. To add insult to injury, I woke up that morning. at 5:45 to light spilling into the hotel room from the completely inadequate blinds.
Initially I stopped at the desk on checking out to talk to a manager and see if it was possible to get a refund due to the hotel failing to meet their minimum obligation of being a place to sleep for the night. The clerk, Raheem was nice enough to give me Shawn and Mark's names and number and took my info down. When I reached Shawn that same Friday afternoon, he was extremely condescending and rude, took my information again and said he'd get back to me. I didn't hear back from Shawn at all, despite leaving messages with my name and number again on Monday and Tuesday. Figuring he might be busy (because a 50 room hotel and bar is understandably too much in a seven day week), I tried him again (all of these attempts at reasonable hours between 10am and 3pm) on Thursday (almost a week later). I was lucky enough to reach Chelsea who was great to work with, but was clearly hamstrung by Shawn's poor and immature management. Chelsea informed me that Shawn was the only one who could make any decision about a refund and, as the desk manager, she'd have to get back to me. When she called me back very promptly, it became clear that Shawn has no business managing anything, as he put it on her to inform me of the arbitrary $30 refund he was offering me, rather than calling me himself to discuss the situation.
To be clear, I am a former Marine captain and work for a big four consulting firm, with a solid understanding of how to work with people and what good customer service looks like in a customer oriented trade like the hotel industry. I didn't think it was asking too much to get a 5-10 minute conversation from the person who runs the hotel as to what my refund options were and why they ended up as limited as they were. It seems this operation is run solely as a "locals" bar establishment for the college crowd and to scam tourists out of a nights stay as they try to enjoy the history of Route 66. The owner, James Craven, doesn't seem to care about his poor choices in his management or the quality of his hotel, as long as duped tourists keep forking over money based on a weak premise of the hotel having a haunted history.

Bottom Line: save yourself the heartache and avoid The Hotel Monte Vista like the plague. You're much better off staying at a name-brand hotel and driving into the downtown area to enjoy the restaurants and nightlife.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Eeagon
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Micheal J Fox suite was great. Being a history buff, I really enjoyed the charm of this hotel add opposed to the cookie cutter rooms found at most major chains. The lounge is always great and I look forward to staying again

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank pstearns8125
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We drove up from Tucson to Flagstaff to spend the weekend exploring. My boyfriend gave me free reign to plan exactly what we were going to spend our time doing but was 100% stuck on staying at the Monte Vista. I'm incredibly happy I sometimes just let him have his way. We were traveling with our two kids and were pretty surprised that our room didn't have two double beds. (turns out he messed up on the reservation and NOT the hotel) We ended up getting a roll out bed, which worked well for everyone. The hotel is clean, quiet, and pretty eclectic. That might not be what some people are looking for but if you want every modern amenity go stay at a Hilton. Cocktails and the Lobby Lounge were packed both nights we stayed. Bartenders were friendly and had some good stories. We walked to every place we wanted to go downtown. I suggest Pita Pit and Collins Irish Pub, Try the Collins burger it will make your toes curl. The kids left both their ipods in the room after we checked out. I called and housekeeping had found them. I was expecting the worst. With a lot of smaller hotels you wouldn't ever get your stuff back. We will be returning to the hotel in the furture, maybe next time just a mom and dad trip. I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Matthew M
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Excellent location- downstairs bar and coffee shop is wonderful. If you are looking for a unique place this is it- Getting reservations was weird- I don't know if they have many cancellations but I was getting 3 rooms and they wanted all this paper work for a group. checking in was strange also- didn't want us to leave luggage in office and you cant check in until 3. Leaving luggage in your car isn't a great idea. And the woman at the desk seemed put our when we asked if they could store our luggage. We stayed one night and our air conditioner did not work very well-it froze up 3 times during the night and when I told the front desk the same woman didn't seem to care- the room is clean and you are close to everything downtown. I hope the woman at the front desk gets a little friendlier.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends