“Friendly check in, clean large room with good beds and...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Flagstaff University West

Travelodge Flagstaff University West
Ranked #51 of 63 Hotels in Flagstaff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Here's the highlights. Read on for more detail.
- indifferent check-in staff
- filthy carpets
- rotted ceilings
- dirty shower (someone else's soap w/hair and used dental floss)
- old CRT TV with no DVD player
- bathroom door cutout so it would open all the way
- strong odor
- lamp came on and off at will
- spare toilet paper roll was rotted
- toilet tank cover (square) did not fit toilet tank (round)
- AC vents cracked and broken
I got this room for one night for $105. A friend and I had booked consecutive rooms. Come to find out that 174 and 175 are not next to one another - there's evens on one side and odds on the other. That's not the end of the world - we got over that.

Upon check-in, the gentleman was so indifferent to us being there. He wasn't necessarily friendly, nor was he rude - just indifferent. Upon entering the room, it smelled so overwhelmingly strongly of cleaning agents (probably to cover up other smells) that I had to leave the door open for an hour before I felt like I could breathe tolerably. The carpets were filthy - my bare feet were grey an hour into my stay and I had to wash them. Going into the bathroom, I realized that the door wouldn't have opened all of the way had they not cut out the countertop's profile into the door. There was no ice bucket, but one was delivered promptly at my request. The toilet, which has a rounded tank, had a square tank lid on it, which didn't fit well. The toilet paper soon ran out, but when I opened the new roll I found that it was water-logged and rotten - likely dropped in the toilet and retrieved. The ceiling above the shower was also dry-rot from water damage. When I got into the shower, I noticed that there was already a soap that had been opened - and used, based on the hair I discovered upon examination. There was also someone else's dental floss on the shower wall/railings (I'm certain it wasn't mine, as I had not yet flossed in the hotel and don't typically floss in the shower).

The walls had had some holes filled, but they hadn't been painted yet. The TV, an old CRT, did not have a DVD player available for the movies I had brought along. When I asked the front desk if they had one I could use, they stated they didn't have one. So we didn't even use the TV. The alarm clock had been set an hour behind the actual time, which made us an hour late for our dinner reservations. The "continental breakfast" was nothing more than terrible coffee, frozen muffins/bagels, and commercial cereal. I couldn't get the lamp to turn on. I eventually found the switch (from the 1970s) hidden near the door, but the lamp came on and off intermittently at its own will.

Behind the hotel is what appears to be section eight housing. I didn't use the pool, although it appeared clean from afar.

Like I said before, I really expected more for the money. I easily could have spent my $105 somewhere else and gotten much better service and quality. This was a terrible hotel that set the tone for a very non-productive weekend in Flagstaff. This is unfortunate, because we have had several really great times in Flag.

Room Tip: The rooms to the east are nicer - like, East on Santa Fe at another hotel like the Drury Inn & S...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank planeinsanity
familyinn, Guest Relations Manager at Travelodge Flagstaff University West, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
We would like to thank you for finding the time to share to us your valuable comment following your recent stay with us. We sincerely believe that guest feedbacks are indeed paramount for us to gauge the level of our service and allow us to focus on matters that are essential for guests’ comfort. We wish to let you know that our staff members are willing to go above and beyond what is needed to ensure your comfort should you report matters to them. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience it has caused you, and rest assured that we will thoroughly assess and evaluate all the points that you have mentioned. We hope that we may be able to give you a far better experience should you reconsider and visit us again.
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The room was clean, the problem was the person who checked us in. An older gentleman Hispanic. I went down to ask him to call a taxi for us there was someone checking in, I waited. The clerk offered this new arrival with what ever she wanted, even asked the guest if they would like upstairs or downstairs. We were not offered anything. We were told only the room upstairs was available when we checked in. when I asked him why I was not offered up or down stairs? he said in a low whispered voice because I had two king beds they had two queen beds. I asked again and he said the same. [--]! I hope this business knows that certain people are getting preferential treatment while others are given what they feel they should get. Oh and he didn't call me a taxi he told me to pick a business card that was on the desk. Other times I would have asked that we be moved but I was too tired from taking all our stuff upstairs and he looked at me like he would ask us to leave if I said any more and we just wanted to rest, but now I am telling the world, don't be sheep like we were, demand that you get what everyone else receives.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring your concerns to our attention. We sincerely appreciate the candid comments you gave us, for it serves as a motivation and an opportunity to correct and improve the delivery of our services to better serve our valued guests. Your feedback regarding the staff clerk’s demeanor is indeed troubling and rest assured that this matter will certainly be assessed so that we may be able to address your concerns as promptly as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience it has caused you. We hope that we may be able to give you a far better experience should you reconsider and visit us again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Flagstaff hotels

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Although this is an older property, it is well cared for.
I was away for 14 days on this trip.
I found the bed to be the best of all motels I stayed at during the entire14 days.
Manager and staff are friendly.
Very satisfied. great value for price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

We sincerely value the time and effort you gave to share to us your experience following your recent stay. We wish to let you know that we will work harder than hard to further improve the services we offer our valued guests. Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you and give you the best value for your money. We hope to see you again on your next visit.