“Good, cheap eats”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Tired from a long day of driving, my husband and I wanted some quick, tasty food to take back to our hotel room. This place fit the bill. I think I spent a little over $10 and got two very tasty burritos. Definitely check it out if you're in the area.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Was hoping for an inexpensive sit down Mexican dinner. Atmosphere was more like a typical small, old-style fast food taco stand, with closely spaced orange booths. Food was good, salsa bar was great, friendly mix of locals, families and travelers when we ate there on a weekday late afternoon. Might be crazy during rush times, as access to salsa bar and spacing of the tables is a little tight.

First the good- extensive menu on the wall, old style, had interesting items such as lengua (beef tongue) and carnitas tacos, lots of selection of types of tacos, burritos, etc. the prices seemed reasonable, staff was friendly, knowledgable, and patient, restaurant was clean, with napkin dispenser on the table (a plus!)

The not-so-good- plastic plates and silverware, vary small containers for salsa, my husband did not like the rice - soft texture with vegetables, although I liked it.

We were very hungry, so we ordered combination plates. My husband had two lengua soft tacos, and I had a one lengua soft taco with a carnitas tostada. The soft tacos were very good, served in double corn tortillas that were thick and tasty. This allowed us to use the extra tortillas to build additional rice and bean tacos. The carnitas tostada was delicious. The rice and bean portions were kind of small and not remarkable, next time I think a la carte would be a better choice to get a sample of a variety of items for the same price.

The combos were $6, although substituting the lengua and carnitas was an additional dollar per item, so our 2 combos ended up costing $17, still not too bad. Salsa bar contained had about 6 different types of salsa, plus jalapeños, onions, sliced cucumber and chopped cilantro. Would probably recommend paying an extra $2 for chips to take full advantage of the salsa bar.

Not a bad lunch, but as we were hoping for a more traditional sit down Mexican dinner, we left a little disappointed, but generally satisfied with the meal. Will try somewhere else next time we are in Flagstaff, maybe we need to move up to the next price range.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This authentic Mexican fast food restaurant offers a complete menu with a self serve salsa bar at better than Taco Bell pricing. Great tortillas and fajitas!

Reviewed December 24, 2013

You order and pay at the counter, then they bring your order to your table -- quick and simple. Fairly extensive menu featuring several fish choices over and above the usual. Several salsa choices. I had a carne asada burrito, the wife had an enchilada plate, both served with rice and beans -- total under $13. Nothing fancy, but a good choice for a quick lunch or dinner.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Ate here for lunch one day and enjoyed a great meal. Food is delivered to your table by a friendly staff who is ready to make suggestions when ordering if needed. The salsa bar is great and I would recommend ordering chips to go with the salsa. I ate a burrito but have also eaten tacos here, everything has always been superb. Definately recommend this place for a casual lunch. The location on the west side of town (behind Walmart) is only a mile from campus and can easily be walked.

Been to Tacos Los Altos? Share your experiences!