“Fine.”
Review of Cuvee 928

Cuvee 928
Ranked #89 of 352 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was with a group of people and we shared appetizers. They were just fine. The rest of the group drank wine, which they said was fine. I had a grape-based beer, which was odd but good. The restaurant was noisy, as noted by others, and very fish-bowly with no tables that weren't visible to anyone walking by. Nothing special.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Love Cuvee! Great service, amazing food (the brisket is just awesome) and a serious wine selection! I work downtown and the manager @ Cuvee is always so friendly when I go in which makes my decision about where to eat an easy one! Good service makes a big difference, as does awesome food! A great place to meet friends for happy hour too, love the patio in the summer!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Went on a random weekend with the family. I almost never can get a poached egg poached properly but these were spot on perfect. My kids LOVED their brunch... I mean what 15 year old wouldn't love peach ICE CREAM with their lavender french toast? Service was efficient and friendly. There weren't many people at all at the time we showed up and we didn't wait long at all for our food. I'm glad we stumbled upon such a gem.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Always enjoy exceptional service with the best quality food and drinks. Love to sit on the patio and people watch. Great value and selection. Lavender Creme Brûlée is to die for!!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We went here last night for my wife's birthday. Our reservation was for 7:30. We walked in the door and there was no real hostess or even a discernible hostess station -- just a low coffee table by the door. Our reservation seemed to create havoc with the two servers and the owner who greeted us separately (requiring three explanations of who we were, our 7:30 reservation, the birthday). Finally,they put their heads together and figured out which table to seat us at while we were directed to the bar. The low, four-seat table was ready just as we placed our drink order.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the fishbowl feel to the place. Floor to ceiling windows throughout and no nooks or romantic corners to tuck away into. The floors were polished concrete and the noise level was quite high from the see-and-be-seen clientele. It also felt drafty and cool. It might be a great way to people watch during the day but at night it feels like the hordes out on the square were gawking at the diners instead. Flagstaff, being a "dark skies" town, looked like a power outage in progress as dark masses of people filed past the windows to the accompaniment of some sort of drumming circle. It was like trying to share a conversation with a dozen people in the shower stall with you while someone banged incessantly on the bathroom door. Romantic? Get real!

The menu can be best described as hipster bistro fare. Oh, and as other reviewers have written, the wine selection is quite limited. Burgers, blackened fish tacos, lamb meatloaf, salads, steak, nouvelle cuisine this and that -- quirky takes on most everything. The wife had the filet mignon with garlic mashed potatoes. I went with the beef short ribs with mashed sweet potatoes. Our app order was the mushrooms. We also ordered a spinach salad to share.

Best part of the evening? The wine. The top of the line Pinot Noir ($12) was tasty but the Rioja was excellent and a bit lighter. The wife started with one of their specialty drinks, a Moscow Mule (vodka, lime, and ginger beer), that she enjoyed and felt it had a decent kick to it. I took a sip. No thanks.

The volume in the restaurant crept higher and higher by the minute and I couldn't help think that there was something incongruous about seeing two flat screen tv's over the bar playing a Lakers basketball game.

Our waitress was friendly and efficient, but just enough.

The food was decent but some of the flavors were off-putting. I couldn't finish my beef short ribs. The dark sauce tasted burnt and had a spice I couldn't identify but just didn't care for. The wife's filet was decent but no home run. Everything else was decent, but borderline "meh".

The only spectacular thing was the bill. Just under $200 after a generous tip. As we got up to leave my wife got a "Oh, and Happy Birthday" from our server. Gee thanks. Wow.

2  Thank algboy