“Great Food”

The Blue Cactus Cantina
Ranked #10 of 433 Restaurants in Murfreesboro
Cuisines: Southwestern, Cajun & Creole
Description: Blue Cactus Cantina is a fusion of southwest and cajun creole cuisines.
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I was totally surprised at the quality of the food. It was exactly as described in the menu. Not only was it delicious, it was a very generous portion. We did not eat here because we were vegan but now that we have wised up we will be eating here quite frequently.

1  Thank tah52
There are newer reviews for The Blue Cactus Cantina

Reviewed February 3, 2014

After bring my wife the wrong order and telling my wife that is what she order our waitress walked away. The portion of steak on my steak fajitas was a joke. The meat was overcooked and tasteless. I won't be going back.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We live just down the road from this restaurant and deeply regret not stopping in sooner. We assumed it was a run of the mill Mexican restaurant. After reading their menu and the reviews on Tripadvisor , we discovered it was nothing of the sort. The look of the establishment is rather deceiving. It is casual in décor and is located in the midst of a tiny strip mall. We dined for an early dinner, which I believe is key on the weekend. We were seated immediately. The wait staff was prompt and friendly. Our waitress was helpful and very patient with our large family of small children. She provided coloring pages and crayons to occupy them while our food was being served. The menu was diverse... there were plenty of choices...from burgers to seafood, steak, tacos,and pork chops. However, none of these items were your "basic". Choices were hard to make; everything looked appealing and on the gourmet side of cooking style. The food arrived in a acceptable amount of time and was proper temperature. We ordered an appetizer of chips and queso. The chips were fresh and the queso warm and so wonderfully good. Nothing like the soupy garbage you get at other restaurants. You could tell this was made by the chefs that work there. Yes, they employ CHEFS not just cooks. My husband ordered the Smoked Bone In Pork Chop which is described as "Hickory Smoked, Caramelized Mashed Red Potatoes, Crawfish Julie Sauce, Grilled Vegetable Skewer". It was the best pork chop he or I had tasted. The red potatoes were full of flavor and delicious. I ordered one of the weekend specials, Scallop Encrusted Monchong and was told that the fish was flown in from Hawaii in the past 36 hrs... I assure you it was the truth! I had never been much for seafood, but hands down this was the best meal I ever had. The fish and scallops were heaven on a plate. It melted delicately in your mouth. It came with perfectly cooked mushroom risotto which was very flavorful, grilled asparagus that was tasty and the proper texture, and a white sauce that fantastically complimented the entire dish. My meal was a bit on the pricey side at $23, but I didn't mind paying it at all... it was that good. Worth every penny. My son ordered a Mexican Bacon Cheeseburger and was more than satisfied with the portion size and the flavor. He noted it was the 2nd best burger (1st being burgers at the Dawg House in LA) he had ever had. All the other menu items where fairly priced and by the taste of our dishes, would be well worth the asking prices. Even our children's dishes were gourmet style. The Mac and Cheese was restaurant made and not something you pour out of a box. Soft drinks were properly calibrated. The sweet tea was spot on! We never needed to ask for a refill as our waitress was on top of it. They offer an assortment of wines, mixed drinks and beer. Happy hour is from 3-7pm (will try one night with just us adults for a $3.50 glass of wine). Over all, a perfect dining experience! Our new favorite restaurant. Highly recommended!!

2  Thank Jacquie-David
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We went with a party of four for supper on a Friday night. The restaurant is very limited in seating - word is out about their delicious food! However, there was no organization as to where to wait to be seated or who to let know you were waiting to be seated. After a short wait we were seated, ordered drinks (their signature margarita is fabulous) and apps. We had to ask out waitress for silverware twice, and even asked the hostess. Finally we just got up and got our own. I would say the food was overall amazing with the exception of one person's steak-which was ordered medium rare, but was clearly raw in the center. However, the rest of the food was DELICIOUS and overcame the service issues. The waitressing staff all seemed VERY young (not that they aren't capable of doing a good job), but perhaps with a little guidance in the service department, I would consistently give 5 stars.

1  Thank Jamie A
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I visited this establishment because it was so highly rated. The waitress was very nice but food was slow. We had the shrimp po'boy and crab flatbread. The shrimp was stringy and the bread was old on the sandwich. The flatbread's cheese was not appealing and overall not very tasty. Prices were moderate but overall I do not recommend visiting.

1  Thank mborotraveler