“Great asian food in the middle of Tennesee”

Cathay Asian Bistro
Ranked #160 of 460 Restaurants in Murfreesboro
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We visited this establishment late on Saturday Night. We waited for a while to get a server, and when our hostess, Sonja, saw there was an issue, she stepped in and took care of us personally. Great dressing on the salad, my lo-mein was excellent, and the Sapporo was cold and delicious. My wife also enjoyed the pork dumplings. The sauce is homemade with a secret family receipe. We will come again!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I saw other reviews saying the service was not very good at this place. However it was right beside the hotel I was staying at so I went ahead and tried it for myself. I think most of the bad services posted was for large parties that visited. My experience was very good for a party of two. We were seated in the dinning area instead of the hibachi section.

They have a good Chinese food selection and I had the sesame chicken which was so good! I actually ordered some again to go before hitting the road the next afternoon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I never thought id want to right a reveiw but save yourself from this place!! Worst service ever !! We were there Saturday night we had a birthday party ,i was so imbarressed!! And our server melenie was the worst!! If ive ever seen a server on drugs this is it!! Our hibachi took over an hour to start and serveral people in our party never even got a reorder of our Sushi We just gave up after 2 hours of being there.We askes for the manger never saw one . Then she brought our Checks and alot of us put cash it the book and walked out..Before we left , a few of the people in our party notice she put gratuity on the check!! I could not believe it!!! A few of us that paid cash asked for our receits to find out just how much we tipped for this horrible service only to see there was also a 12.00$$ discount taken that said coupon.when i asked what this was Melanie the "server" said she would find out And we never saw her again after 10 mins of waiting we left..So after the horrible service Two hours of bad food bad Sushi we were gratted and made to tip for bad servie and not told !! THEN some how she managed to get 12.00$ more from us!!! Never,never again!!!!! This resturant is very mismanaged and very unperfessional..worse night ever..

3  Thank hattiepitt
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I have never met a more rude disrespectful business owner in a service business. My husband and I had hibachi and our daughters ordered the all you can eat sushi. We went through our entire hibachi experience and our daughters still had not received any food. We questioned the waiter about it and apparently there was a mixup and their food had not even been ordered. They only ordered two sushi rolls each with expectations of ordering more but after waiting that long decided that was all they were going to order, so I asked to speak to the manager who turned out to be the owner. I asked her to change them over to charging individual prices since it would be cheaper than the all you can eat and in my disbelief she started stating well they had soup and salad so it would be more. They wouldn't have even ordered those. They just wanted the sushi. In my disbelief, I stated to her that I couldn't believe they sat there for over an hour and watched everyone else at that table eat with no food and she wasn't even gonna offer an apology. Her answer was: "You want an apology well I guess I apologize". I will not only not ever eat there again, but I will make sure that everyone I know doesn't eat there as well and will watch with much satisfaction when this place closes down because ignorant people like that have no business dealing with the public. If you want a good sushi experience in murfreesboro, try Sushin or Samari's. They are both really good, fresh, and the service is so much better.

4  Thank lorie s
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was a member of the same party that user MattInTn was writing about in his review - and I have more to say than he does.

First, this was my third time visiting Cathay and I had not been overly impressed the other two times (not to mention one of my close friends has gotten food poisoning here!). We had to wait literally 80 minutes as he stated, and our food came out a couple of orders at a time. So, some people got their food after 30 minutes, we got our food after about an hour and fifteen. Not acceptable. Plus, our food was already cold on the outside. If i'm going to wait, at least let it be warm! It might have been delicious for all I know but it was cold. The mashed potatoes, by the way, are instant. At a sit-down restaurant I assume they can either learn how to make real ones, or take it off their menu.

Second, I was part of the couple who had to leave early and no, we did not tip. The waitress never seemed apologetic for the slow, sub-par service and the food was not good. I tried to ask her a question about the menu and she spoke so little English that she could not understand what I was asking. So, to find out now that she had the gall to COMPLAIN about us to the rest of the party is not only embarrassing but it also makes me so mad I can't see straight. I have the right mind to go back up there now after a month and complain again.
She was lucky we didn't straight up send the food back and not pay at all.

Third, for the money, this was definitely NOT worth it and as someone on a tight budget trying to celebrate with friends, the money is sorely missed.

I would never recommend anyone to go there and I hope no one has to go through what I and my company had to deal with there. Terrible, insulting, and infuriating. I have never had this kind of experience before at any restaurant or venue.

4  Thank Stephanie T