“An economical option for decent sushi.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cathay Asian Bistro
Ranked #125 of 424 Restaurants in Murfreesboro
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nashville, Tennessee
“An economical option for decent sushi.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went here with my husband and a mutual friend last Thursday night for dinner since they have all you can eat sushi for $15.95. I myself ordered the teriyaki chicken bento box (the chicken was a little dry, but everything else was good) The California roll that comes in the bento box was nothing spectacular but it also wasn't bad. The dressing that comes on the house salad is delicious but all they put in it is iceberg lettuce. The mushroom and scallion soup was pretty bland, definitely needs a better base stock. The men went with the sushi option. They both ordered the Cathay roll which is huge and pretty good (I snuck a piece although there is a no sharing rule) and the husband then got the Fire Dragon roll which is even bigger making it a little hard to eat. It was also tasty. They also both ordered a few pieces of nigiri on the side and there were no complaints. Definitely not a problem with portion sizes. I'd say it's a good deal for the price you pay, just make sure you don't order more than you can eat.

• Visited July 2012

Nashville, TN
“First-Time Dinner Was Reasonable and Gratifying”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

"Bistro" suggests something much smaller than the size of this restaurant which is in its own free-standing, monumental building, ornately decorated on the outside, and tasteful on the inside. Unfortunately, the entrance does not face the street, and could easily be missed if you were driving from the opposite direction, although guests of the Ramada Inn, next door, have an excellent view.

We had a good experience, having chosen the All-You-Can-Eat sushi dinner menu at $15.95. Most surprising on an All-You-Can-Eat menu was a long list of nigiri, classic, and special rolls, in addition to miso and another soup, and seaweed salad. The sushi was well-prepared and well-presented, and competitive with other sushi we've eaten in Middle Tennessee.

The general menu, which we did not try on this visit (but will at future visits), was huge, with Chinese and Japanese items. Cathay has a huge drink menu, too. (I tried a tall drink made with Crown Royal, plum wine, and sake, and I ordered a second one!)

Our server, Amay ("Ah-MAY") was obviously attending to several tables and moved fast, but she did an excellent job. She was so very personable and engaging, with such a big, happy, smile, that she made the meal all the more enjoyable. We rarely see such honest enthusiasm and interest among servers any more!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Godenar
Nashville, Tennessee
“"Twice a week visits" quickly become "never again" because of horrible management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

I use to go to Cathay twice a week for all you can eat sushi until a bad experience turned into a horrible one. One night some friends and I went and ordered our usual. About an hour later, a hundred appolgies by our waiter and no food, I decided to ask for the manager. The manager came out and we expressed our displeasure with the incident. She acted as if she didn't care and told us that a large group of Japanese men will be served before us. I then said "so, we have to wait an hour because there is only three of us or because we aren't Japanese?". She replied "because Japanese are served first!". I then asked to speak with the owner and she quickly told me she owned the place. I told her that her remarks were disrespectful and that we were leaving. Believe it or not, after all of that, she still charged us for our tea.

• Visited February 2012
5 Thank wccope
Tampa, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fine food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is an upscale but reasonable Asia restaurant. Food and drinks are good;

Visited May 2012
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“HORRIBLE!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

This used to be one of our favorite places to eat. However, we took our daughter for her graduation dinner and it was HORRIBLE!!! The service was terrible!! I only had one refill all night and it took toooo long for our food to come out. My wife and I ordered seperate meals for dinner, however, we only got half of what we were supposed to get.

The hibachi chef attempted to make amends by giving us extra food, however, the female manager was very rude and yelled at my party. We requested that the 18% gratuity be removed from our bill because of such horrible service and treatment, but they refused. I have filed a complaint with the BBB!!

WE WILL NOT GO BACK TO THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited May 2012