“If you like to smoke stay here, otherwise avoid!”

Candlewood Suites Murfreesboro
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Murfreesboro
Atlanta, Georgia
“If you like to smoke stay here, otherwise avoid!”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Been a priority club member since it was just HI back in the late 80's. Transferred to Marriott where I'm Platinum and stay often but based on ratings decided to give this Candlewood a try. First impressions, wow this place looks pretty nice and new. Walk to the front door where several guests are right at the door smoking which smells very nice (not!) and carries into the door and lobby. Check in and initial the bill where is says there is a $250 cleaning fee if you smoke in the room, get my room key, ride the elevator to the 4th floor where I look at my wife and say "do you smell smoke?" and she says "yes". We walk into our room and wow it was a trip back to the 80's and 90's when hotels actually allowed smoking in rooms. Called down and they said yea we allow smoking in your section of the 4th floor and sorry we didn't have any non-smoking rooms (even though thats what I reserved). I went down to see if they had an air filter or something to help the stench and they offered a can of air freshener and said we have an ionizer but can't put it in the room while you are there.... Leave for dinner and you guessed it, the guys from the non-smoking rooms down the hall (sign on door) get on the elevator with us and go out front to fire up and hang out. Really! Even the smokers don't want a smoking room. The staff could have cared less and most often just didn't even look at you or speak when you came in and out. Last chance for me, I will be back at Marriott where all properties are non-smoking.

Room Tip: Do not get the 4th floor as they allow smoking on the back of this floor. That said, since they don...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Murfreesboro, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear FreqBizTraveler87,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Member and leaving us feedback about your visit. We sincerely apologize for the less than satisfactory experience you had especially with the condition of the room you were given and service received being sub par. These shall be looked into, we will use your comments to enhance our efforts.

Kind Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed here for 3 days while visiting our daughter and we highly recommend this hotel to everyone. We had all the comforts of home. It is very clean, comfortable and inviting. Candlewood is definitely your home away from home.

Room Tip: We had a 2 bed suite. The sound proofing is excellent did not hear any noise coming from outside our...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wanda G
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I would advise anyone looking for a place in Murfreesboro, TN to stay at this hotel. The legend of Johnathan is true. This young man truly goes the extra mile to meet and exceed your expectations! My only reason for not giving this place a 5 star review is because of the lack of having free breakfast and not having an overhang at the entrance. However this location does have a little convenience store and the rooms make up for any lack of breakfast. Three cheers for Candlewood Suites!

New York, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2013

do not make your reservation with the reservation service, speak directly to the hotel. Apparently our request for a rollaway was never communicated to the hotel and they ran out, so one person actually slept on the floor.
In addition, they told us there would be breakfast. If we had spoken directly to the hotel we would have none that wasn't true.
The front desk manager was apologetic, but that doesn't make up for someone having to sleep on the floor.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Murfreesboro, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Jaunt,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our sincerest apology for the over-all issues you had and any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there on a recent trip to Floroda. We booked it while on the road. Our main decision factors were price and location. The hotel is close the interstate and in an area with plenty of resturants along with some shopping. It is also close to Middle Tenn State Unv. in a nice area. We actually stayed in a smoking room, though neither my wife nor I are smokers. It was the only room available and like I said the price was right. It was a smoking room and smelt like one, but that was to be expected. The hotel is fairly modern and comparable in quality to others in this category. It was clean and the overnight staff was friendly. Overall a decent stay and I'd stay there again, but in a non smoking room this time. It'd definitely work for an overnighter or a couple day stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CB6699
Murfreesboro
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I think ncmttravelers owes April an apology...in my opinion. One overnight stay doesn't make him an authority on customer service; however, I will say that first impressions do mean so very much. I seriously doubt April was as rude as she was portrayed in his review and I get the distinct impression there's another side to this story. Mr. ncmttravelers said he never once complained, but his review is nothing but just that - one big complaint after another. And, I'd venture to say April's first impression of him wasn't so pleasant, either.

I wouldn't dare write a review or speak out against someone else's review unless I had first-hand knowledge and extended experience at the same hotel. My husband, son, and I have been staying at the Candlewood for several weeks now and I have never been more thrilled with a hotel experience than I have staying here - and we've stayed in many hotels for extended periods of time over the years.

Some of the staff are more outgoing and talkative than others, but absolutely every staff member we've come in contact with has been pleasant, always smiling and greeting us each time we come and go through the hotel lobby, very courteous, and extremely helpful. So many have gone out of their way to assist us in so many ways. From day one when we arrived Jonathan made us feel at home and was so pleasant. My 10-yr-son absolutely loves the staff - he's made them his best buddies and they've made him feel like he's their kid brother, each watching out for him and treating him like he's their only concern in the world all the while maintaining complete professionalism. Kurt has been a godsend assisting me with unruly washing machines on the weekend and never once stopped smiling or uttered a complaint as he mopped up soapy water from what he'd hoped had been a successful repair to the machine, but unfortunately was not. (Don't worry; replacement parts are on the way and it'll be good as new again!)

But the one who has made me feel most comfortable and cared for has been April. One of the reasons we chose to stay at Candlewood (while our home is being remodeled) was its proximity to the hospital, just in case. My husband is quite ill and stays in our room a good portion of the day while my son is in school and I go to work. There have been many times I've tried to reach my husband to check on him during the day and don't get an answer on his cell phone. I've called the hotel front desk getting April each time, asking her to ring the room and hoping he'd hear the hotel phone ring (thinking maybe the volume on his cell phone was turned down too low and he couldn't hear it while resting). Not only did April ring the room, but she was kind, caring, thoughtful, and told me if he didn't answer to call her right back and she'd go to the room to check on him for me. She didn't have to know the details of his illness and didn't ask. She just knew he wasn't well and I was worried.

So, Mr. ncmttravelers, I'm very sorry your overnight stay for you, your wife, and friend wasn't as peachy as you thought it should be, but calling out one person by name to make yourself feel better doesn't mean a lot to people like me who know April a little better than you do. I know her as caring and compassionate.

I hope ncmttravelers will take the time to give Candlewood and its staff another chance if he's ever to come through Murfreesboro again. It's sad to think he's missed out on getting to really know the great staff here that are quickly becoming dear friends to my family. I don't mind staying an extra few weeks if our home isn't quite ready yet - and that's saying a lot coming from someone who has wanted nothing but to be in our own home again for some time now. I know if I ever needed a place to stay again in the future, this would be the only place I'd call and I'd most definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a great hotel at a reasonable rate with the most helpful and courteous staff in town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jlarae68
Richwood, New Jersey
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

This is our fifth stay with this hotel I believe, and as always we can only give it glowing reviews.

The hotel is clean and kept well maintained. The area seems safe and quiet. Excellently located away from the more traffic congested areas, yet somehow still located near plenty of shops and dining locations. As well as uncomplicated access to and from the interstate. The staff is kind and most days quite funny. (Once they get a feel for your humor.) Even giving us a heads up on local events they knew we would be interested in. In prior reviews we have said thank you to all "levels" of staff.

As I was scrolling down today in the mobile app so that I could leave my review, I noticed the "Where was Jonathan" review. I was stunned. I will in no way flame the individual that left that. That is his opinion of how his stay went.

However....I would like to tell you about the April we have met. She has a pleasant face and a "Good morning" or "Hello" evertime we walk in. I have seen her be more than just courteous to guests staying that can't even manage to be human to her. The one time in our multiple stays that something broke, we had no sooner sat down after walking back into our room from telling April at the front desk of the issue, that the maintenance man was knocking at our door. The issue was fixed within five minutes. I have never seen or experienced her perform below a professional level of hospitality.

We travel constantly (as can be seen by the locations of the reviews we leave. Coast to coast and border to border) and when ever we are around this area, it is never a question of where we want to stay. It's right here.

• Stayed August 2013