“Luxury at an affordable price”

Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Gainesville,Florida
“Luxury at an affordable price”
Reviewed July 3, 2007

The imposing exterior of the Lackawanna Station Radisson is a far cry from the sterile cookie-cutter hotels of modern times. Originally a train station, the historic property has become a comfortable hotel with luxurious elements seldom used today. The lobby is several stories tall with columns of marble. Some of the upstairs rooms are on hallways overlooking the lobby, or a stained glass ceiling to the lower part.
I booked a room on a Saturday night when the hotel was hosting a wedding and a baby shower. We were pleasantly surprised by the live music both in the evening and accompanying a sumptuous Sunday morning buffet.
The room had a granite countertop and granite tiles in the entryway. The plastic tub inset, therefore, was quite jarring. Sleep Comfort beds in all the rooms are comfortable, although not any better than a good-quality regular mattress. The staff was exceptionally pleasant.
I would return to this hotel.

• Liked — Historic building
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Poconot2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
NJ
Reviewed June 30, 2007

The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The room we stayed in was a wonderful size, the bed was great and the bathroom was wonderful. I also visited the spa down the street, Alexanders, and it was wonderful.

Our room wasn't quite ready when we got there, but the hotel staff gave us a round of cocktails in the bar. We only had to wait about an additional 20 minutes, so it wasn't bad at all. Just enough time to enjoy our free cocktail.

The hotel staff was wonderful and very helpful. The bar staff was very nice and fun to deal with. The bar always had something going on, live entertainment.

It was very quiet in the room....of course, if you are track side, you hear trains during the day, but that is why we were there, so it didn't bother us too much.

The only thing I would caution you against would be the breakfast package. It's not worth the money. My overall breakfast experience for both days was lengthy. Generally about 45 minutes from getting to the podium to having breakfast served. And for the price, you can find much better in the area. The staff in the restaraunt seemed disorganized and probably short staffed.

• Liked — The gorgeous rooms and architecture.
  • Disliked — Breakfast package
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dreamsgirl
San Diego, CA
Reviewed May 31, 2007

To say this hotel is a disappointment would be a gross understatement. Dump is a better word for it. It is made worse by the fact that it is in a beautiful historic train station and could have been terrific. This was actually my second stay at this hotel. I did not like it the first time and it was not my first choice for this trip. I was forced to take it due to staying over an event weekend. It was the only room I could get. Because of the busy weekend, we had to take what they call and Executive Suite at a rate of $269/night.

The hotel is filthy. Our room had months worth of dust on the windowsills, there are fingerprints on the front door glass at all times, fingerprints on the brass elevator doors all the time as well. One of the two guest elevators was broken for the duration of our two-day visit, and the second one failed early one morning forcing all departing guests to take the stairs. The stairs were so filthy they looked as if no one had used them in years. Even the shuttle van was filthy. I mean really, really dirty.

Our television set was nearly unwatchable because the adjustments were all out of whack. It would have been an easy fix but the staff was unable to do anything because they did not have a master remote. The fiberglass shower/tub combo was cracked and worn. The shower was very dark. The much touted Sleep Number bed was broken on one side (we were not going to use it so it did not effect us). Despite being billed as an Executive Suite the room was dismal and very poorly laid out. The sitting area was nearly useless.

The overwhelming issue at this hotel is the smoke/orders from the restaurant kitchens engulfing every floor. Some people are OK with it, some are not. I am one of the latter. And the smell is not of delicious food, but rather grease and burning grease at that.

We tried to order desserts from room service. After searching for a menu, we called and asked if there was one in the room. The response was "I can bring you one." It came quickly, but consisted of three photocopied sheets from the café menu and none of them had desserts. Another phone call and we were told the three dessert options - and that one was not available. However, the food did come quickly and was good.

There is no bell service that we could ever see and none was offered. I never was able to find a manager - either on the phone or in person. You just had to deal with whoever was in front of you.

I could go on.

To their credit, when I explained our dissatisfaction they offered to not charge us for one of the three nights. I frankly thought they owed us more, but I took their offer and left it at that.

• Liked — The historic building
  • Disliked — filthy
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ira619

Travelers are raving about these Scranton hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 10, 2007

This hotel was recommended to me by a co-worker who has stayed there when visiting her son who is a student at next-door University of Scranton. It is very convenient to the University, as well as to I-81, but I don't know that I would stay here again.

My first problem came with the valet parking. I arrived at about 7 p.m. in heavy rain. After circling the parking area twice, I found a place where I could park, although I could tell it was not a real spot. I just wanted to go inside, check in and find out if there was an off-site parking area. The valet, who I had not seen before, very rudely informed me that I could not park there. The valet has no signs, but they are located right in front of the main doors.

Once inside, the front desk staff was very friendly and efficient.

The hotel is beautiful with old architecture and marble floors. However, one of the problems is that it is still designed like an old train station. The doors to the rooms open to a hallway that overlooks the lobby.

The main restaurant is in the lobby, and there is a lot of noise that comes from down there. Also, the smell from the restaurant drifts into the room (and I was on the fourth floor). It's not a bad smell, but it was not great when trying to fall asleep.

Also, the street was just outside my window, and it was very noisy all night. I would suggest getting a room on the "back" of the hotel, if possible. I imagine it would be more quiet.

The main restaurant is very expensive, but it looked good. I ate at the bar/grill, which had above average food and good service.

In all, I would probably look elsewhere to stay, but it was not a horrible experience.

• Liked — Beautiful lobby
  • Disliked — Noise in room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RyryE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton

Been to Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton? Share your experiences!