“Gorgeous hotel, average accommodations”

Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Gorgeous hotel, average accommodations”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

The hotel is breathtakingly beautiful and worthy of its landmark status. Our stay there was not as breathtaking. Smaller than expected room with a single bed instead of the two doubles we requested weeks in advance. (The hotel was too full to switch our room according to the front desk.) A thin door allowed the noise from the ice maker located across the hall to keep us up most of the night. And the strong smell of carpet cleaner was enough to give me a headache. As a destination for those visiting Scranton, I could recommend a visit here, just not to stay overnight.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 11, 2010

As a child, I spent alot of time in the Lackawanna Train Station, so I have always wanted to stay at the hotel. My family needed to stay in Scranton for a funeral, so my sweet husband made reservations for us at the Radisson. How very, very disappointed I was!
Our room was barely ready at three; the room was small and the bathroom TINY!
The hotel had a stuffy smell. The resturant overtakes the beautiful waiting room and has no appeal. The bar was quiet, not inviting. The next morning we tried to grab some coffee and a quick something to eat on our way to the funeral...the toast got caught in the toaster at coffee bar, coffee was full of grinds, extremely limited selection of pastries to go.
And $5 for parking..it is an open lot!!!!!!! Anyone can park there!
Well, I will check it off the list of life..been there, done that!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
toronto, canada
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I am not known to get upset about a bad hotel experience, but let me say this - anyone who has written a review here for the Scranton Radisson and given it a good review must be connected to this hotel in someway.

The best thing about this hotel is how close it is to the Interstate Highway, so you can get as far away from it as possible. This hotel can be described in one word - DUMP!

We stayed here last week (July 24 & 25, 2010), and if it wasnt for the fact we could not get a refund we would have left. The room was next to an ice machine, and it was like we were next to an engine room on a ship it was so loud! I went down to complain as the room was $219 for the first night, the lady at the front desk (who didn't have a name badge on her otherwise I would print it here) came across as if I was bothering her. She said there was no other room, exepct for one that a couple was coming from the airport to stay in, and I had to tell her straightaway if i wanted it and I had no time to think about it. SO RUDE!!!!

The room was away from the Ice Machine and with no choice we took it. The wall paper in the bathroom was peeling, and that was the part that even had wallpaper on it!.

We were supposed to get robes and slippers... nothing. We were supposed to get drink vouchers.... nothing. These were part of our booking, and we asked for them and we got nothing!

This hotel as others have reviewed it here, was the most dirty I have ever seen. Stained carpets, linens, walls, ceilings, even the elevator was dirty.

And the smell! OH MY! The enitre building was the smell of $1.99 cheap bathroom spray. It was awful!

We had to argue to get the breakfast for free as there was no way I was paying for it. In the end it wasnt very good, and the coffee was warm, not evenhot, but luke warm! Eat elsewhere!

This hotel is just terrible, and I will be contacting the headoffice of the Radisson chain about this. I will also contact the PENN travel and tourism board about how this hotel can have the nerve to carry a star rating above one star.

We took images of various parts of the hotel, the stained walls, the bathroom with half-finished wallpaper and be sending these images to the PENN tourist board and the Radisson headoffice.

NEVER EVER STAY HERE, WORST HOTEL IN SCRANTON!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
radissonscranton, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Dear dmq24,
We appreciate you taking the time to complete the survey regarding your recent stay with us. I certainly do apologize for your frustrations encountered during your stay. All service issues have been addressed with the respective departments after reading your comment. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area. Please feel free to contact me directly at radisson.scranton@gmail.com for your next accommodations, and I will assure that all is flawless.
Sameer Ali

Travelers are raving about these Scranton hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Was not supposed to stay at The Radisson - we had reservations at The Hilton and it was overbooked for the 1st night so they arranged for us to stay here for a night. They were very helpful upon checkin and the bellman helped set up our luggage in our room and was very friendly. Our room was very small, it was in the corner and the arrangement of the room was awkward and tight. But considering we were a last minute reservation and we were not picky, it was okay for a night. Anything more than that might have been too tight for us but I am sure other rooms are bigger, it was just the location of our room in the corner I think. They use the Sleep Number beds which we were not a fan of but I know some people like them. It had an older feel but the history of the hotel was cool. The next day we ended up being moved back to The Hilton where our original reservation was and we enjoyed that hotel better than the Radisson but overall it was a nice place to stay. I would probably choose The Hilton again if going back to Scranton but if that was not available I would definitely choose The Radisson again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
radissonscranton, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Dear Eams26,
We appreciate you taking the time to provide an honest review. Please contact me directly at the hotel when planning your next trip to Scranton and we will make sure your stay is flawless. Looking forward to serve you soon. Sincerely,
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I was concerned about staying here, given some of the complaints. I decided that since the Hilton was booked, this was the best choice. My husband loved the historic nature of the place. He's really into planes and trains, so it was right up his alley. The first issue that concerned me was the service. I'm happy to report that the desk manager was very accomodating when I asked to have the king smoking room switched to a non-smoking king room. No problem. We checked in very late after a Dave Matthews concert at the Toyota Pavillion - the front desk manager checked us in quickly and efficiently, no problem. We asked for a late check out because we came in so late and we needed to sleep, no problem. Issue #2: no problem finding a parking spot, I don't know what's up with the $5.00 parking fee, but I'm not into quibbling over small change. Issue #3: I have read on other sites that you can't darken rooms to keep the morning sun out: not true. Room darkening shades are a little hidden behind the sheer curtains. They pull across separately, and adequately block the light. Issue #4:Noise - It was quiet when we got there (at about 1:00am on a Wednesday night) the only problem I had was in the morning, hearing the cleaning staff as they began cleaning rooms which started at about 6:15 am and, thankfully, was done about 2 hours later. Issue #5- Odor: This was big for me because I have a "supernose" and even odors that seem remote to others are intolerable to me. I found our room to be just fine. The lobby has a distantly musty scent which I attribute to the antique furnishings that appear to be authentic to the old train station. It did not put me off staying there again. Problems previously reported about smoke from the bar is a non-issue since smoking is no longer allowed in the public areas of the hotel. Issue #6 - Room size, furnishings and cleanliness. The room was impeccably clean, had updated furnishngs, including a flat-screened TV, clean crisp sheets, spotless bathroom with a lovely granite countertop and marble floors. The room and bathroom were on the small side but not cramped, it was sufficient for our needs. Some have complained about no breakfast table or reading chair, but given the size of the room, these are unrealistic expectations. All furnishings, bedding, draperies, carpeting, fixtures appeared to be pretty new (room 430). Given the massive number of bed bug complaints at nearly every hotel in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, I was concerned, so the first thing I did when I entered the room was rip off the sheets and check the corners and seams of the mattress, and it was clean. The sleep number bed worked perfectly, and we got a good night's rest with no back aches (also something I'm prone to).
We did not get a chance to experience the food or wine bar, since they were closed when we arrived. They were serving a lunch buffet when we checked out, but we were interested in breakfast, so we went elsewhere.
All in all it was a very pleasant stay. My husband loved the tilework panels in the main lobby. I liked the original train station lighting and benches. We both loved the opulent marble floors, walls and pillars as well as the stained glass ceiling. I would stay there again. I hope they continue to improve based upon the feedback in these posts.

1 Thank DMBLover11
Dear DMBLover11,
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review. I will be sure to personally share your fine comments with our Front Desk and Housekeeping Staff. Our team prides itself on providing "Yes I Can" service to every guest, every time, and it is a delight to see you had a wonderful experience. We look forward to welcoming you next time!
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2010

It was a great experience for me and my husband at the Radisson. The Front desk was awesome to upgrade us to a suite. Big, Spacious clean rooms made the stay comfortable. Bathroom was a bit small compared to the room but there were two of them. Room service was prompt. Will be back again for Christmas. Thank you.

Dear Travelqueen786,
Thank you for such a wonderful review!! We really appreciate you taking the time to provide your kind words to fellow guests. Our team works every minute of every day to provide 100% Guest Satisfaction, and it is a delight to see you received just that. We look forward to seeing you in December.
SIncerely,
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The building itself is great, it's a renovated train station. The hotel is a little past its prime but the room clean.

Check in was very quick and flawless.

The hallways had a strong smell of deodorizer, with a hint of stale smoke.

Next time I will try the Hilton to see how it compares. However I would stay at the Radisson again if needed.

• Stayed July 2010
Dear PB14,
I personally want to thank you for completing this survey regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope of exceeding all of our future guest expectations. I do hope you will give us one more opportunity. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, Scranton we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area.