“Nice my first choice to stay in Scranton but nice hotel”

Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Columbus, Ohio
“Nice my first choice to stay in Scranton but nice hotel”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Was not supposed to stay at The Radisson - we had reservations at The Hilton and it was overbooked for the 1st night so they arranged for us to stay here for a night. They were very helpful upon checkin and the bellman helped set up our luggage in our room and was very friendly. Our room was very small, it was in the corner and the arrangement of the room was awkward and tight. But considering we were a last minute reservation and we were not picky, it was okay for a night. Anything more than that might have been too tight for us but I am sure other rooms are bigger, it was just the location of our room in the corner I think. They use the Sleep Number beds which we were not a fan of but I know some people like them. It had an older feel but the history of the hotel was cool. The next day we ended up being moved back to The Hilton where our original reservation was and we enjoyed that hotel better than the Radisson but overall it was a nice place to stay. I would probably choose The Hilton again if going back to Scranton but if that was not available I would definitely choose The Radisson again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
radissonscranton, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, July 30, 2010
Dear Eams26,
We appreciate you taking the time to provide an honest review. Please contact me directly at the hotel when planning your next trip to Scranton and we will make sure your stay is flawless. Looking forward to serve you soon. Sincerely,
Sameer Ali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I was concerned about staying here, given some of the complaints. I decided that since the Hilton was booked, this was the best choice. My husband loved the historic nature of the place. He's really into planes and trains, so it was right up his alley. The first issue that concerned me was the service. I'm happy to report that the desk manager was very accomodating when I asked to have the king smoking room switched to a non-smoking king room. No problem. We checked in very late after a Dave Matthews concert at the Toyota Pavillion - the front desk manager checked us in quickly and efficiently, no problem. We asked for a late check out because we came in so late and we needed to sleep, no problem. Issue #2: no problem finding a parking spot, I don't know what's up with the $5.00 parking fee, but I'm not into quibbling over small change. Issue #3: I have read on other sites that you can't darken rooms to keep the morning sun out: not true. Room darkening shades are a little hidden behind the sheer curtains. They pull across separately, and adequately block the light. Issue #4:Noise - It was quiet when we got there (at about 1:00am on a Wednesday night) the only problem I had was in the morning, hearing the cleaning staff as they began cleaning rooms which started at about 6:15 am and, thankfully, was done about 2 hours later. Issue #5- Odor: This was big for me because I have a "supernose" and even odors that seem remote to others are intolerable to me. I found our room to be just fine. The lobby has a distantly musty scent which I attribute to the antique furnishings that appear to be authentic to the old train station. It did not put me off staying there again. Problems previously reported about smoke from the bar is a non-issue since smoking is no longer allowed in the public areas of the hotel. Issue #6 - Room size, furnishings and cleanliness. The room was impeccably clean, had updated furnishngs, including a flat-screened TV, clean crisp sheets, spotless bathroom with a lovely granite countertop and marble floors. The room and bathroom were on the small side but not cramped, it was sufficient for our needs. Some have complained about no breakfast table or reading chair, but given the size of the room, these are unrealistic expectations. All furnishings, bedding, draperies, carpeting, fixtures appeared to be pretty new (room 430). Given the massive number of bed bug complaints at nearly every hotel in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, I was concerned, so the first thing I did when I entered the room was rip off the sheets and check the corners and seams of the mattress, and it was clean. The sleep number bed worked perfectly, and we got a good night's rest with no back aches (also something I'm prone to).
We did not get a chance to experience the food or wine bar, since they were closed when we arrived. They were serving a lunch buffet when we checked out, but we were interested in breakfast, so we went elsewhere.
All in all it was a very pleasant stay. My husband loved the tilework panels in the main lobby. I liked the original train station lighting and benches. We both loved the opulent marble floors, walls and pillars as well as the stained glass ceiling. I would stay there again. I hope they continue to improve based upon the feedback in these posts.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DMBLover11
Dear DMBLover11,
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review. I will be sure to personally share your fine comments with our Front Desk and Housekeeping Staff. Our team prides itself on providing "Yes I Can" service to every guest, every time, and it is a delight to see you had a wonderful experience. We look forward to welcoming you next time!
Niagara Falls, New York
Reviewed July 11, 2010

It was a great experience for me and my husband at the Radisson. The Front desk was awesome to upgrade us to a suite. Big, Spacious clean rooms made the stay comfortable. Bathroom was a bit small compared to the room but there were two of them. Room service was prompt. Will be back again for Christmas. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Travelqueen786,
Thank you for such a wonderful review!! We really appreciate you taking the time to provide your kind words to fellow guests. Our team works every minute of every day to provide 100% Guest Satisfaction, and it is a delight to see you received just that. We look forward to seeing you in December.
SIncerely,
Reviewed July 4, 2010

The building itself is great, it's a renovated train station. The hotel is a little past its prime but the room clean.

Check in was very quick and flawless.

The hallways had a strong smell of deodorizer, with a hint of stale smoke.

Next time I will try the Hilton to see how it compares. However I would stay at the Radisson again if needed.

• Stayed July 2010
Dear PB14,
I personally want to thank you for completing this survey regarding your recent stay with us. I appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope of exceeding all of our future guest expectations. I do hope you will give us one more opportunity. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, Scranton we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stay in a lot of hotels and have to say that this is one of the better ones. Check-in was quick and friendly. The room was different (I like different) than most. The windows could have been cleaned so that I could enjoy the full view. I don't usually eat in hotels because they are overpriced and the food usually taste like crap but I was told by a friend that the lunch buffet was excellent. Since we weren't staying long enough for lunch I decided to eat breakfast in hotel instead. It was surprisingly very good. I also liked the fact that the hotel is located downtown as I like to get out, walk around and see the sights. The only thing I didn't like was the sleep number bed...ugh!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
radissonscranton, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
Dear travelgirl75555,
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel in Downtown Scranton and especially for the kind words regarding the hotel, restaurant and facilities. We put a lot of effort and pride into honoring this wonderful station as a fine hotel every day. I am sorry you did not enjoy the Sleep Number Bed. For your future visit, I wanted to let you know we do also offer Pillow Top Mattress Beds in select rooms. Please let us know the next time you visit us and our Reservation staff will be more than happy to accommodate your request.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I thought that the days were over when a gay couple were treated with cold stares and flats grins in a downtown hotel on the east coast. The hostile absence of a welcome, help with problems, or even a respectable farewell, though passive, was palpable. That was besides being disappointed with green tint of the cheesy florescent twisted bulbs in all light fixtures, the hard to flush commode, noisy heater/ac, and no WiFi, and $289 price for a Saturday night stay in a room with a view of a parking lot. Stay away.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear bobandjoe101,
On behalf of the entire staff and management at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, I sincerely do apologize for our failure to provide the exceptional levels of service you expected and should have been provided. We value your honest feedback to improve our service to all guests and have also addressed the poor service issue with the staff. Regarding the Internet, we are adding more access points and are upgrading our service with a 3MB data circuit feeding the entire hotel within the next two weeks. Again, I apologize for your prior stay and look very forward to seeing you again.
Sameer Ali

Travelers are raving about these Scranton hotels

NJ
Reviewed June 7, 2010

All was great - the bell man immediately came over to offer valet and help us with our bags, check-in was fast and courteous, brunch was very good (about $25/pp), the room was clean and smoke-free as promised (Rm 427), and the lobby was amazing.

Just one annoyance - We called for room service at 9am and got voicemail stating to leave our name and room number. At least one of us was in the room for the next 3 hours and no one called back. The room service system needs some refinement that would include having someone available to answer the phone.

The bed had a remote to change mattress firmness, and it was not working properly. That was not an important amenity to me, so it did not bother me. The bathroom was small, but we were OK with that.

I noticed other reviewers complaining about the $5 parking, but many hotels charge much more for parking (including the Hilton across from the Radisson). I am not sure if parking fees are standard for Radisson or for Scranton.

It is very nice for a 3 1/2 star hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear tmmrd,
Thank you for the kind review !! Our goal at the Radisson Lackawanna Station hotel is to provide 100% guest satisfaction through excellent service. I sincerely apologize for the room service issue. This has been addressed with the Food & Beverage department and appropriate steps have been taken to avoid such an issue in the future. Thank you for your business and we look forward having you with us in the future. Sincerely,
Sameer Ali
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton

Been to Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton? Share your experiences!