“Faded grandeur”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Suburban Philadelphia
“Faded grandeur”
Reviewed May 27, 2010

The Radisson Lackawanna Station is an impressive structure, both inside and outside. The lobby of the hotel hosts Carmen's Restaurant, which was closed during the one day that we were there. The service personnel at the desk were friendly and helpful. The room was quite nice (looked as though it had been refurbished fairly recently), but the large window in the room was filthy dirty, very difficult to see outside (maybe that was intentional since there wasn't all that much to see outside). I don't know why the hotel tacks on a $5.00 parking charge--seems a bit chintzy. All in all, a good hotel--downtown and next door to the University of Scranton. Scranton itself seemed disheveled and dreary, an attribute, unfortunately, of most coal-region towns and cities.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
radissonscranton, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, June 10, 2010
Dear CodgersontheMove,
Thank you for your time to review The Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel in downtown Scranton and for the great ratings. Our team really appreciates it. We look forward to seeing you again during your visits to Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Sameer Ali
AGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I booked 2 rooms six months in advance for a mothers day weekend. I had read previous poor reviews concerning this hotel but had hoped they were wrong. I should have heeded the trip advisor reviews. The hotel is very nostalgic and ornate of a train stations era of yester years however the accomodations are terrible. A wedding reception was held in the acoustic lobby where Carmens dining room is also located so you ould barely hear/communicate with your guest at the table. I felt like I was in Grand Central Station. At night there was a band of some sorts playing at least until 9:30 pm which echoed into the hotel rooms over powering our television. My mother who had dinner the night before our scheduled mothers day brunch got food poison from the chocoate mousse dessert and was up all night throwing up. When we finally retired to go to sleep at approximately 2am we were awaken when the guest in room 422 decided to figh/scream/rumble in a drunken brawl until 3 am when I finally went down to the front desk to complain. There in the lobby were bar hopping drunk students/people at 3am trying to get laid rooms. I decided at that time to cancel the brunch and leave. I paid close to $500 in one night and received no rest. I will never return to this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank Food4review
Dear Food4review,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the our hotel. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We will do our best to eliminate such problems in the future.
Sameer Ali
Assistant General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Scranton hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2010

The hotel is impressive. There was a wedding in the hotel the night we stayed - our room assignment turned out to be right smack dab in the middle of the celebration and rather than chance it we decided to ask for another room. The desk gave us no trouble about that and we found them to be pleasant (the only available room was directly below the one we already had. Despite all the complaints about noise we read about here, none of it materialized. Our friends were on the opposite corner of the hotel and they didn't experience any trouble either - we both faced the street side and not what was probably a nicer view in the rear of the hotel. We got a kingsize which was great but our friends who are much bigger than us ended up getting a queensized bed that was too small for them. Oh well.
The best part was the great jazz trio that played in the lobby -The Tony Costas Trio. Tony came around and introduced himself and had the place swinging. It was a great night 'in' without having to go 'out'.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Iowa
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I am a hugh train buff and was looking forward to my trip to Scranton and my stay at the old Lackawanna Station. The photos online looked amazing and I was counting the day until my trip. After I arrived I was counting the seconds until it was time to leave. It all started as my wife and I carried our luggage up the front steps as two young bellhops just watched us. That should have been a sign to turn around and leave at that point. During our checkin at the front desk it took almost 20 minutes to check in to our room. Loud music playing and it seemed very hard for the one clerk to check people in, answer phones and help other customers. Durning the checkin I was told of the $5.00 parking fee. I will get back to that point later. After we were givien the key to our room we headed to the elevators. The carpeting in the hall near the elevator was filthy! At this point I am very worried about this hotel. We finally get to our room and our key would not open the door. I had to go back to the desk to get a new one. Ten minutes later I finally got a new key and headed back to my room. I get back to my room and opened the door to find the windows in my room are about 8 feet high. I really thought someone was playing a joke on us. I called the desk to see if I could have another room. The phone must have rang 30+ times before someone answered. I was then told the hotel was sold out and could not change rooms. I realize this is not a joke it was a nightmare!
We decided to eat outside of the hotel and found a great seafood house called Coopers. Best part of the trip so far. Once we returned to the hotel we could not find a parking spot. I asked a bellhop where we can park and I was told there really are no spots but he can park it for me for free. As I watched him drive away it looked like he was racing in the Indy 500. I decided to head back to the room to try and relax. I pulled down the covers on the bed to find stained sheets and food crumbs in the bed. I called the desk again to report this and was told housekeeping would deliver new sheets. They did deliver the new sheets but I had to put them on myself. I could not belive that a Radisson Hotel was operated this way. No signs of customer service what so ever. We finally went to bed and you could guess that there was very little sleep. Sleep Number beds did not work! Bed was very uncomfortable and the walls are very thin. You can hear everything that goes on in the next room, I mean EVERYTHING!
The next morning we had no hot water to take a shower. It was luke warm at best. It was time for check out and I really thought Candid Camera would be waiting at the front desk for us to tell us we had just been had. That was not the case! I received my bill and noticed the $5.00 parking charge was still there even after the bellhop said he can park it for free. I asked why the charge was still there and was told that the valet service parks your car for free but we still charge $5.00. WHAT?? At this point I am not going to argue over the $5.00. I was just happy to be leaving this hotel. I did stay the next night at the Hilton across the street and found it to be well worth the price. Service was outstanding. My question to the Radisson is, Who is training you staff? My suggestion is to stay a night a the Hilton and see how they do it. Thanks for a night I will never forget!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed March 27, 2010

There is a club in the hotel that plays LOUD music until 2am. If you are on the side of the hotel near the club, you will hear very loud music until 2am. When I called the woman at the front desk to ask about when it would stop and why it was more important than the sleep of the guests, she said: "You weren't told?" I asked: "Told that I would not be able to sleep because loud music would be played right under my room until 2am?" She didn't answer as she realized how silly the question was.

The windows in the rooms are sealed shut like many places, but the housekeeping staff use incredible amounts of scented air fresher which leave you feeling you are trapped in a can of Carpet Fresh. Even the bellmen coughed when he walked in with my bags and commented on it.

On the positive side, the room service meal was lovely and the front desk and bell staff seem happy to help.

Overall, I'd skip this one though. Forcing guests to do without sleep so you can sell drinks seems like you've made the choice you'd rather run a nightclub not a hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
syracuse
Reviewed February 16, 2010

First off we ate at the sunday brunch we had are coats checked when we got them back they had chocolate on them from the buffett. Also manager Sameer Ali seemed to busy to listen us. The place overall seemed very dingy and unclean . Dirty plates, smudged glasses, dusty railings i could go on but it is bringin back bad memories. Thanks for ruining are Getaway.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RoomserviceandSand
radissonscranton, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this review, February 18, 2010
On behalf of our entire staff at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, I sincerely apologize for the concerns you have about your experience at our hotel. I appreciate the feedback and will use it to fine tune our operations in the hope of exceeding all of our future guest expectations. I do hope you will give us one more opportunity. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Radisson Hotels & Resorts we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area. Please feel free to contact me directly for your next accommodations, and I will assure that all is flawless. Cordially, Sameer Ali 570-558-3918 email: radisson.scranton@gmail.com
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Just spent Valentines weekend at this hotel for 3 nights. Front desk and reservationists very helpful and friendly. Price was reasonable and location was conveniently located to see central Scranton and it's surrounding attractions (not too many...)

The building is beautiful in terms of it's old history and marble lobby area which caters to breakfast, bar and live music from a brilliant pianist.

Due to the fact it's a hotel converted from an old train station it has a lot of sound problems. The music and chatter from the main lobby travels all the way from the bottom floor to the top of the 6th floor disturbing sleep (if your'e a light sleeper). Had to turn the room fan on to drown out sounds from inside hotel.

It's right downtown close to the University, so drunk kids / people yelling on the street can be heard through the night. Probably more so on the weekend.

walls are not sound proof at all. Could hear sex going on next door one night, second night could hear 4 -5 people in a room chatting very loudly till 3am.

Room interiors were nice ( we stayed in 2 different rooms). Modern, electrical beds (made no difference to sleep) bath tub doesn't work... shower is nice though. Nice flatscreen tv's.

I'd recommend this hotel to stay in simply because the rest of Scranton is so ugly. I'd recommend you stay at the Hilton if you want peace and quiet though. Also heard both days many of the housekeeping crew yelling in the hallways at incompetent employees who changed the wrong sheets, rooms, etc.... atleast their on top of it though.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sirdallas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton

Been to Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton? Share your experiences!