“You're better off going to the Hilton across the street”

Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Not kidding when I say this....worst hotel experience I've ever had. I spent one night at this hotel to attend a friend's wedding in the area. Our friend blocked rooms here and our room was ready on time, however several other friends of ours did not have their rooms ready until 9pm at night for a 3pm check in. When I entered our room on the third floor it smelled as if someone vomited all over the walls. I asked the front desk to have someone at least spray febreeze and put some air fresheners in the room and was told it would be done. As I was leaving another gentleman was complaining about his room not being ready and every time he asked how long the response was "15 mintues". 15 minutes ended up being an hour and I never found out if he ever got a room. I returned back to the hotel after the reception and nothing was done. The staff their clearly does not care. Other then the hotel smelling bad (I went into several other guest rooms of our friends that also were having problems on the third floor) they also are the only hotel I know that charges for parking. Do yourself a favor and stay in the Hilton across the street. The place looks great.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton

Reviewed July 22, 2009

Walking into the beautiful lobby of this restored train station your expectations are high. The central lobby area is beautiful and the restoration work that has been done is very good, but unfortunately the front desk service is so poor it detracts from the experience and the rooms are just average with very cheaply renovated bathrooms. Two different front desk staffers had no idea where anything was located in the city. The breakfast buffet was horrible, but the bar was lively in the evening with above average entertainment.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2009

One huge complaint about this place: parking.

The hotel hosts many weddings and on weekends the hotel bar/club is packed. And parking becomes a huge issue. Upon checking in we were told that there is a $5 per night parking fee. I didn't think much of it until coming in to park on a Friday night at 11 p.m.

The parking spots were taken up by drunk, out of control bar patrons and wedding people who didn't have the parking tag in their windows.

They didn't pay the $5 and people staying at the hotel had to park a long walk away from the doors.

Don't be afraid to complain to a manager if this happens to you. Maybe they'll rethink the $5 charge for those spending hundreds to stay here.

Oh, and the sleep number beds are horrible.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joekinsut
Reviewed July 8, 2009

First off, everyone has said how historic this hotel is and that makes it that much more magnificent. The outside and inside was fantastic beautiful and the staff was great. I had gotten a room that was on a corner of the building facing the train tracks (that run behind). The Sleep Number Bed was very comforting and the hot tub was grand :) I enjoyed spending the night there and wished I had more time to spend. I didn't eat in the restaurant, so I can't review it. Honestly, I would have enjoyed spending all my time in this hotel room, rather than what I was actually there for (a concert at Tinks - which was undergoing construction). When the need to return to Scranton arises, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2009

The Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton is definitely a property that makes a stirring visual impact. It is located in a historic elaborate former train station in the central area of Scranton, just off the interstate. The Lobby which houses an elegant restaurant has magnificent marble columns, high-priced paintings and soaring atrium with stained glass windows.
I got a pretty deal (I think) on an internet site ($89US) for an Independence Day weekend junket. As for the rooms, Casey Stengel when asked for his impression of a new Ballpark in St. Louis said “it holds the heat well” My impression of the Radisson Lackawanna Station hotel room is that they hold the stench well. What that stench is, I do not know, but it isn’t agreeable, probably something similar to what would be encountered in Cell Block B in the local lockup. So it is advised to take your air freshener.
The room is average sized, the windows appear to be original and they apparently have not been washed in many years. The “specialty” mattress which can adjusted via remote control based on your “sleep preference” really seemed gimmickry to me and not sleep enhancing. Speaking of remote controls, it would have been preferable to workable TV remote.
Overall I had a real good experience because I like trains and historic places (it is officially listed as a national historic place) If I had to make regular trips to the area this probably would not be my number one choice, but for an occasional visit it is fine.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Just spent a delightful weekend at the Radisson, for a college reunion. The lobby and downstairs of this old train station is as elegant as you could wish for, highlighted by marble and vintage lighting. It was super-cool to see the original wood train station waiting benches outside the elevators of every floor---nice touch! Check in was quick and friendly, and I had a snack at the Trax grille-very ample portion of calamari! Room was satisfactory---clean, nice view, comfy sleep number beds. The only criticism I had was that the bathroom was a bit outdated and small, but otherwise clean and functional. Well worth the price for the location and the authetic "Steamtown" ambience. If you're visiting Scranton, you can't find a more centrally-located hotel than the Radisson. Good value, good service, central location. A+ weekend!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I was kind of scared to stay here from some of the other reviews. However, we really liked the hotel. It's pretty light on parking, and the main floor carpet could use replacement, but the room we had (3rd) floor was nice, spacious and perfectly quiet despite a noisy wedding reception going on below. I heard not one peep from the crowd. The hotel was easy to find, close to our goal (Steamtown) and a really cool building to stay in. If you are here for Steamtown and like trains I think this will be a lot more fun than the more mundane options. And you get room service and free internet!! Families do be aware that there is no pool.

I do agree that the plastic shower inserts seem kind of out-of-place but that's because the rest of the room is darn near elegant. So if you think this would be a fun place to stay, don't let the naysayers scare you off. We loved it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton

Been to Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton? Share your experiences!