“Very Disappointing”

Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were planning a nice pre-holiday getaway, but this was really disappointing. The desk staff - specifically the manager - could have made it a great stay, but chose not to. She initially put us in a room, literally in the elevator shaft. If there were three elevators, this room would not exist. We went back down and asked to be moved to a quieter room. She said she was upgrading us and moved us across the hall from the elevator into a room that smelled of filth. You could not eat in this room. It was disgusting. The noise level made sleep an impossibility. They sent me a survey after the stay. I said what I'm saying here. They responded coldly and really didn't seem to care at all. The restaurant and restaurant staff were excellent , but I will never stay in this dump again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amethyst1875
Lauren P, Front Office Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards. I truly apologize that you felt that your comments and concerns were not handled appropriately, and I assure you, this was not our intent. I hope that you are able to return to our hotel in the future so that we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Let me start out saying that this review is written for a stay last spring 2013. I ran across some less than positive reviews while looking to rebook tomorrow or the next day and I want to help set the record straight a bit.

Last spring my family and I had to make a harried trip to Ohio from Maine because my father was very ill and the Docs were unsure if he would make it (he did, thank God!). We booked with points, then around the midway point of our drive to the hotel, we decided a whirlpool bath would be great to help remove stresses and sooth tired bones. So we called and asked if we could pay for an upgrade. I cannot remember who we talked to on the phone, but they said sure on the upgrade. We arrived looking like the weary travelers that we were with two kids in tow. They treated us no different because of our appearance or because we paid with points. We still felt like royals!

They showed us to our room, realized that we may need a bigger one, and off we went in search of a more appropriate room. There was nothing available for two adults and two young kids with a whirlpool tub. Instead we had a fun sleepover with all of us in the king bed! It was actually pretty fun to be all snuggled up as a family.

In short, we ended up having a great stay. Our 5 year old and 6 year old girls loved the balcony and listened to the piano player until he ended for the evening - we couldn't get them in the room! Then they thought it was cool to "eat meat" from the antipasti tray. After they fell asleep, the Hubby and I enjoyed a warm whirlpool bath, then dozed off into a deep awesome sleep on the luxurious bed. Upon checkout, they had not charged us for the upgrade since the accommodations were "less than optimal".

No, things weren't perfect, but what in life is? You take what you get and make the best of it! If you whine about not having two queen beds, then your stay will be miserable. If you have fun in one king bed, your stay will be memorable! Don't complain about the noise, go listen and have fun with it.

My point here is this is not a brand new hotel, it will have it's quirks, whether it be a drafty window or sound traveling (which we did not have any of). The staff was awesome, well over accommodating, going above and beyond what they needed to. Occasionally a staff member may be less than perfect, but stop to consider what may be going on in their lives to make them that way. It doesn't excuse it, but maybe it will help you understand the why of it.

Due to this ice storm here in the northeast, we are getting a late start to Ohio. We were supposed to leave yesterday, but now won't leave until tomorrow or later. We may even have to stay over someplace on Christmas Eve into Christmas. The girls may be disappointed at first that Santa left the gifts in Ohio, but I believe they will love coming back to "their hotel" again because I have already decided we will stay at this ole train station.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your comments about your last visit to our hotel. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay, and that your family has such fond memories of our property. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We came across this hotel in Expedia. Since it's a refabbed railroad station in the grand scheme similar to Philadelphia 30th Street Station, we had to have it.
You can save money going out sightseeing and just walk around the place. Magnificent. Even on Thanksgiving Day, the bar/restaurant was open. The rooms are about the usual for middle of the scale hotels, however the beds are unbelieveably comfortable. Here's another thing important to me: in the old days, no hotel would not have fresh brewed coffee in the lobby at 6 AM. (by the way, there's a superb little deli/coffee shop in the lobby but I don't know when they open) These days, early morning coffee is becoming a thing of the past. Especially brewed. The Lackawanna Radisson has a Cuisenart single mug brew pot in your room, WITH GROUND COFFEE FRESH PACKS ! This is becoming the norm out there, but not always. The Radisson also has actual cream, as opposed to powder packs. Again, to some, this is not important.
Here's a tip: you can park out front, but if you drive around to the back, you can get covered parking. There is a parking charge but when I beefed about it, the girl at the desk told me that if you have a parking lot in Scranton, no matter who you are, you have to pay a fee to the city. This is a typical municipal ripoff that The Radisson has to pay and pass along to you. Only 5 bucks though. Then if you park covered and the snow comes in at night like it did with us, it's worth it.
OK, enough with this dissertation. I can end with the statement that my wife wants to go back again just to continue checking the place out.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lauren P, Front Office Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Tom,

Thank you so much for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to The Radisson Lackawanna Station. We hope you are able to come again soon!

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I love hotels that are a little different. This hotel is an old railway station and has that old grand railway feel still as you walk in the door.

It was very cold outside yet walking into its great grand room..... It takes your breath away. Beautiful - u can feel the history around you. Warmthed by the ambience, the staff and all this hotel has to offer.

Within no time my queen quaint tastefully decorated room was ready.

I slept well in such a cozy room. Although if I could say anything negative perhaps the bed was too soft, but I prefer them hard. Didn't take anything away from the hotel at all. Bedside lights placed easily reached, place to charge phone and tablet beside bed, still enough room on table for my things, tv was great, room heating perfect and not too noisy, adequate coat hangers. Proper porcelain cups not paper ones for coffee and wen I enquired about a microwave to reheat my food - within seconds, one was delivered to my room.

I would stay again and again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 18, 2013

First of all, the staff was great. The Lobby is beautiful. But our first night, lots of noise from a party kept us awake. We called the frost desk a number of times, and they said they sent security to check, etc, and said it might be their lounge, but it wasn't. We were on the opposite end of the hotel from there.The night manager even came to our room (after midnight) to see if he could pinpoint the noise. He heard it, but said he didn't know where it was coming from. He offered us breakfast coupons, which we did use. But we figured out the next day that one of our windows was above the roof of the ballroom, which was in use until VERY LATE. He must have known that. Also, even though the heat in our room worked very well, the bathroom was cold. It had two outside walls and the window (which had a thick drape over it) was letting in cold air. The window was old and drafty. Also, hot water in the shower was a precious commodity. It would fade out fairly quickly, and then slowly build back up, and then fade out, etc. So even though the staff was friendly, and the food was great, I wouldn't recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Lauren P, Front Office Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. My sincere apologies that you were unable to get a restful nights sleep due to the noise. I truly apologize for the inconvenience. I also want you to be assured that I have spoken with our Engineering Department regarding the drafty windows, and we are working diligently to ensure this is not an issue going forward. As a historic building, sometimes issues with the old hardware do arise, and we truly appreciate your comments and the opportunity to correct and improve this issue. Lastly, I want to thank you for your kind words about our staff!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband was competing in a sporting event in the area, and I have always had such great experiences with Radisson, particularly in Manchester NH, that I knew we would have no problems and he would be well rested for the competition. Unfortunately, I booked the room using accumulated Carlson Club points, rather than paying full rate for the room. The hotel was so beautiful, the marble lobby and stained glass ceiling, I was quite excited to be staying here. Upon check-in in the clerk made a comment about us "not paying" for our room, which was odd, but it was otherwise a pleasant and rapid check-in. We took our bags up to the room and went down to the Trax Lounge for dinner. Food was great, we had a relaxed pleasant meal, then went back to the room to get some sleep. Sleep was not to be had. There was no thermostat in the room, the cable was poorly connected with bad reception, and worst of all there was some horrible noise, sounded like we were directly under a whirlpool tub that was running constantly. My husband called down to the desk and was told there was air in the pipes and nothing could be done until tomorrow, there were no other rooms to be had, and the clerk would give us breakfast coupons to compensate. With "nothing to be done" we tried to sleep, but it was a less than restful night. The noise was louder than the television and ear plugs did nothing to block it. Come morning, no breakfast coupons. My husband went and talked to the front desk, who knew nothing about the complaint, was completely unapologetic since we "did not pay for the room" and only provided breakfast coupons after a lengthy conversation. Breakfast was good, and our server Barb was really pleasant and very knowledgeable about the history of the building. I would recommend going here to eat, but not to get any sleep. Restaurant staff were all great, but desk staff are rude and dismissive.

Room Tip: Avoid room 207
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Eileen S

Eileen, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel. It is through the comments of our guests that we are able to monitor and improve our service. I truly apologize that your recent visit was disappointing. I have addressed your comments with our Engineering team, and I am confident that these issues will be properly addressed and corrected. I will also use your comments about the service provided to you by our Front Desk as a training tool to ensure every guest comment is addressed in an appropriate, efficient, and professional manner. Again, I am truly sorry for the inconvenience, and we hope that you are able to return in the future so that we can meet and exceed all expectations!

Reviewed November 10, 2013

This hotel has some interesting heretage going for it and it does seem a bit grand. It also states that it is "pet friendly", however 'tolerates pets' would be closer to the truth. We got a good price through priceline, however we had our dog along and they ended up charging us within $5 of the cost of the room additional to have the dog, due to their policy of having to shampoo the carpet after a pet is in the room. We had spoken to hotel staff before we stayed and they had quoted a significantly lower price on the phone for pets. No refund or backing out after booking allowed either. Lots of (human) hairs in the bedding, bed uncomfortable, cleanliness was sub-par and was overdue for a deep cleaning.

Upon checking out we asked to speak to the manager however she/he couldn't be found. We asked that we be contacted as soon as possible, and I am not surprised that no call was ever forthcoming. I think they must have known that most customers are not repeat customers there, so don't even bother.

We didn't check out the pool or other amenities.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ragmanum1
Megan P, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am sorry to see that you did not find our pet policy to be fair. We do offer pet friendly rooms, but charge a $70 one time cleaning fee for your stay as we do have to deep clean the room upon the pet's check out. I understand how this can be disconcerting, though, especially when you were not expecting the fee. I will communicate your other concerns with the housekeeping department in order to correct the issues you mentioned and speak to the front office staff about properly explaining the pet fee information.

On behalf of the entire staff at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel, thank you for your business. We hope to see you again when you return to the Scranton area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton

Been to Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton? Share your experiences!