“Lackawanna Station - nice location”

Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My friends and I spent two nights at the Radisson Lackawanna Station on March 30 / 31st. We had three rooms on the fifth floor. The hotel is a beautiful old train station. Plenty of parking. The lobby was beautiful. There is a nice restaurant in the hotel and an ok bar at the hotel. They had a piano player on Friday evening in the lobby and a guitar player in the hotel bar. The rooms were fine. The windows in the room are very high - not much of a view. The hotel is located very close to the University of Scranton and nearby to all of the county and federal offices. We parked our car for the weekend and walked around town. There is an irish pub franchise right across the street - Kildare's. The food was ok there. Very young college crowd on the weekend. We found a nice pub not far from the hotel called the Bog. Nice beer selection - but no food. Banshees Irish Pub is a little bit of a walk - but they had a tremendous beer selection.
Pros: The hotel is beautiful and the lobby and service was very nice. The front desk was helpful with walking directions. Very close to University of Scranton. Nice Sunday brunch. The gym facility was fine - 2 treadmills and some free weights. They also had a sauna.
Cons: TV's were 19 inch flat screens with a poor picture. They charged $5.00 a day to park. The building is older and the rooms were just ok.
Overall: I would return to the hotel if in town for business. The Hilton nearby is obviously newer - but the uniqueness of the hotel was worth the stay. Its nice to see older buildings refitted.

Room Tip: Fifth floor rooms were quiet. Limited view from the rooms due to the windows being so high up.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jandjlove2boat
radissonscranton, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2012

Dear Jandjlove2boat,
Thanks for the detailed review of our location and the surrounding areas. We are delighted to read you had a good stay with us and enjoyed our Sunday Brunch. I deeply apologize for the small TV and am not sure how it ended up in a room as all our guest rooms have 32 inch flat screen TV’s. We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel in the near future.
Best Wishes,
Sameer Ali

Write a ReviewReviews (1,128)

998 - 1,004 of 1,129 reviews

Reviewed March 27, 2012

My new husband and I stayed in this hotel immediately following our wedding this past December 3 - 5, 2011. Not only is the main lobby absolutely stunning, but the staff is friendly as well. It is clear that this hotel holds much historic charm. Our favorite part of the weekend was definitely Sunday brunch at their restaurant, Carmen's. From made-to-order omelets to the chocolate fountain, we couldn't get enough! The brunch is actually one of my family's favorite pasttimes. Not only do you get to enjoy the grandeur of the lobby while you eat, but you are also serenaded by beautiful, live piano music. It's truly a gem of Scranton.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren L

Hello Lauren L,
Thanks so much for writing a review of your stay with us. I was so happy to read you enjoyed our hotel, staff and the Grand Sunday Brunch. I will make sure to pass on your lovely comment to our Food & Beverage team. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed at the Radisson Lackawanna Station while visiting my son at the University of Scranton. We wanted to be very close to the campus and other than the Hilton a block away (which was booked solid), this is the only choice. The building is impressive (from a distance), but upon closer inspection, it's just old. The front desk staff were pleasant and professional. The rooms (I booked 2 and my brother and his family booked 2) reeked of some sort of industrial strength disinfectant. The furniture was dated. 2 Queen sized beds, a small desk and chair, a standard TV unit - and nothing else. Very plain and basic. The bathrooms were tiny and contained cheap plastic shower inserts on the walls-no tile (cheesy). There was a wedding going on and drunk twenty-somethings made a racket outside the rooms until 3am. You're definitely better off going somewhere else if you can.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank John S

I want to thank you for sharing the details of your recent stay at The Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel.

We will be reviewing the concerning issues that you have brought to our attention regarding the disinfectant smell. On another note, we certainly take a tremendous amount of pride in the level of service we provide and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Again I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and for any inconvenience you may have experienced. If there is anything further you would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at radisson.scranton@gmail.com

Reviewed March 20, 2012

As the title indicates, this place is just old. And that's ok, but some places carry it off, while others just don't. The Radisson Lachawanna Station does not.

True, the carpeting throughout the hotel appears to be new, but just about everything else is old and dirty. The walls rising out of the atrium and into the roof of the building are peach colored stucco and are smutty, looking like they still have coal dust on them from when the last steam train rolled through the station.

Our room (509) left much to be desired. It had two queen beds with Sleep Number mattresses, but very old and worn linen. There was an ottomon but no chair that accompanied it. I asked the maid in the hall about the chair and she just said, "What's an ottomon? There's a desk chair right?" As if that settled it. I didn't bother beyond that. I could tell it would be an exercise in frustration. The bathroom was pretty small. The toilet small and close to the floor, and it barely flushed. The paint on the door at the bottom was chipping. The shower was narrow, and the water fluctuated from hot to cool while showering and without touching the dial. When you did press on the dial, rust would ooze out, speaking to what was being covered up.

The windows were ancient and had been painted shut a loooong time ago, and the paint, at least on the outside was chipping badly. Probably a good thing they didn't open, because we were on the backside of the building above the kitchen exhaust.

We had breakfast on Sunday morning. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. Reasonably priced, but I've had far better at Cracker Barrell. The bacon, looked like it had been cooked quite a bit earlier that morning and had been lying in a warmer somewhere. The "maple syrup" was not. The homefries were dry and remained largely on our plates uneaten. I ordered a Starbucks French Press. It was brought hot, but the gal pushed it down too fast, and so I was left picking grounds out of my coffee. Hey, at least they have Starbucks!

As I say, I wanted to like this place, but it is well past its hayday, in my opinion. Go if you want to stay somewhere historic, but don't go if you are expecting someplace polished.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel, maybe?
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank VegasGypsyrover
radissonscranton, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We were saddened to learn that your experience with us at the Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel was not all that you hoped for. First of all, I am sorry for any discomfort or inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Because of your complaint we have just gone through inspecting all the linen and we have ordered new linen for the rooms. Please do feel free to contact me personally at radisson.scranton@gmail.com the next time you are coming to Scranton and I will be pleased to take care of the arrangements personally to ensure we do something special for you. Thank you once again, for your time and for considering us for another stay. We really appreciate it and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 15, 2012

The rooms are nice and we enjoy staying here. If you like unique places you would like this hotel. It actually has Tiffany glass in the ceiling. Many areas retain the look and feel of the old train station. If you are looking for super modern conveniences and everything perfect it is probably not for you. We had a problem with our room and it was rectified immediately. This is our third stay here and it always makes me feel that we have stepped back in time.

We were tired after traveling and walked across the street to an Irish pub. There is also a restaurant in the hotel and a pub/bar.

Room Tip: We had one room that had such creaking noises from the room above that we had to ask to be moved. T...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear eclecticquilter,

Thank you for sharing your recent experiences from The Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the Grand lobby and the history of this magnificent building.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and your kind words. We do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

Members of our family stayed here on 2/25/12. We had a surprise 30th birthday party for our niece. We were amazed at how friendly and accomodating the entire staff was at the hotel. The wait staff for our party went above and beyond the call of duty and were so efficient, professional & friendly that it made the party such a nice memory for all of us. The hotel was clean from top to bottom. The hotel facilities were very busy that night but the next morning you would never know there was such a large crowd there! Again, everything was spotless.

Many hotels have strange odors or musty smells, but not here! Our rooms were clean and smelled fresh. The bathrooms had plenty of towels. Our room on the second floor was very quiet.

Every staff member we ran in to, from the front staff to the wait staff to the housekeeping staff were friendly and very helpful.

The food was out of this world. Carmen's chefs truly create great meals. The dinner was excellent and the breakfast had a such wonderful selection. Our lunch at Trax was also delicious. We loved the atmosphere and it was such a treat to have cloth napkins! Little things do mean a lot.

I have to say that none of us had any complaints. If we come to Scranton again, we will definitely stay here. The hotel & staff was definitely a class act!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
radissonscranton, Manager at Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear Pat F,
Thank you for the high compliments. I will definitely convey this to all of our staff who played a very important role during your stay especially the kitchen staff.
We look forward to seeing you and your friends soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I travel alot for my job... stayed her for two nights and was very impressed with the level of service and genuine concern of the staff. My room was emaculate right down to the corners in the bathroom. The rooms could use some tlc but considering the historic nature I was very happy with it. Great job on restoring this land mark, it's beautiful.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Jessica D,

I am so thrilled to see that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay, from our staff, to your room and the historic aspect of the hotel. We are excited for whenever your next stay will be!

Best Wishes,

Sameer Ali

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore

Been to Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton? Share your experiences!