“Never Again”

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Glen Burnie
“Never Again”
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Not happy with our stay at the Radisson. When my husband and I arrived, it was late afternoon and very cold. My husband dragged his suitcase up the stairs to the entrance and I found myself struggling to get mine up the stairs. The valet was a few feet away from me, watching me, but didn't offer to help me get it up one of those steep stairs or offer to open the door. Maybe he assumed my husband would come back to help me. But if I saw a small older woman struggling with a suitcase, wasn't doing anything at the time and was an employee at that hotel, I would have offered to help. When we entered our room, the first thing we noticed was the strong cigarette smoke smell. Then we noticed the cold. It was in the low 30's outside, but the air conditioning in the room was on (not the heat) and set to the maximum setting. I don't know if the housekeeping service had done that to try to disperse the bad smell. We turned the a/c off, turned the heat on, tried to open a window and discovered they were sealed. So we called the front desk to complain about the smell. They sent a male housekeeper up who immediately walked into the bathroom to spray (the smell was in the bedroom, not so noticable in the bathroom), then did a couple of squirts from his bottle in the bedroom. Whatever he was squirting only briefly covered the smell. It came back and for the two nights we stayed there, I kept smelling cigarettes . Our clothes and everything smelled like cigarettes. To my knowledge, this was not a smoking room as it did not contain any ashtrays. My husband said we weren't going to spend much time in the room, so we might as well put up with it, since we had already officially complained to the hotel. We did not demand a replacement room, as we didn't want a normal guestroom. The room we were in was the jacuzzi suite, which, according to the hotel's website, comes with a jacuzzi bath, a refrigerator and a microwave. We chose the suite, since we were coming from a distance away, wanted to relax afterwards, and wanted to bring some of our own food with us. Well, the room had a jacuzzi bath. But it didn't have a refrigerator in it. There was a microwave, one of the big ones you used to see years ago. It was balanced on top of an ottoman and looked like it would easily slide right off onto someone's foot if they came too close to it. Yes, I did complain about that, and yes, the microwave was replaced with a smaller microwave that would fit on top of a mini-refrigerator, which was also brought. But why wasn't the room already set up with a refrigerator and a correctly-sized microwave? I shouldn't have had to complain about something that the hotel was supposed to provide us with. The room had a bed, a desk, one ottoman/microwave (later replaced with the mini-frig and newer-looking microwave), and one chair. We were two people. Other hotel rooms we have stayed at, in the past had two chairs, or a chair and an armchair. It would have been nice if our room had a second chair for one of us to sit on, instead of forcing one person to sit on the bed while the other got the chair. The lighting in the room was poor. Either the hotel was using bulbs with low wattage or the lighting fixtures that were installed were poorly-designed. When we entered the room, there was a mirrored closet by the door. The one light closest to it didn't illuminate all of the closet, so I couldn't see all of our clothes in it. There was a lamp on each side of the bed,. But when we turned on our lamps to read, my husband had to lean over the side of his side of the bed and I had to lean in the opposite direction, way over my side of the bed, in order to read. Besides the jacuzzi bathtub, there was a sink, then a bathroom with a toilet and a regular bath/shower. The lighting in the bathroom was so poor, that you could not see if you took a shower. Too dark. We enjoyed the jacuzzi bath. The towels were on the rack next to it. But I wish they had installed a towel rack next to the sink too. Whenever I used the sink, I had to walk over to the jacuzzi and lean over to the towel rack there to wipe my hands. By-the-way, the towels felt really rough. Don't know if they were just old, or that's just the way the towels are supposed to be. the last hotel I had stayed at (which wasn't a Radisson) had really nice soft towels. When we checked out of the hotel at the end of our stay, I was disappointed that the hotel did not ask how our stay was, or inquire about the smell we had complained about. I'm surprised they didn't call us back that first evening of our stay, to find out if things had improved. The hotel has two restaurants, Carmen's and Trax (latter is in the bar). We tried both and the waitresses in each were nice. I assume the hotel was shorthanded because of the holiday, as there was only one waitress in Carmen's when we went there for breakfast, and one in Trax when we went there for dinner. We went to Trax twice for dinner, since it looked like Carmen's was closed both evenings (Christmas Eve, Christmas day), even though Carmen's was open for a brunch 11am-4pm on Christmas day. We didn't attend the brunch but it sounded good. We had sandwiches, salad, soup for the two evenings we ate at Trax. They were good, but salty. The breakfast we had at Carmen's the day after Christmas was good, but the omelet was brown (I don't like burnt eggs). I didn't complain since the waitress was the only one waiting on the tables that morning, and talked about how she was going to have to spend Christmas with her family on the following weekend, since she had to work the holiday. I felt sorry for her and we left her a good tip. I would not stay at this hotel again and wouldn't recommend it. Yes, the lobby and elevators are pretty. But it isn't worth the price. Next time we'll stay at another hotel., have a more comfortable room with breathable air and nicer service.

• Liked — jacuzzi bath and location of hotel
  • Disliked — hotel room smell,ed and wasn't very clean
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank huskydog49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Manorville
Reviewed December 2, 2007

This Radisson is not your everyday Radisson. It's an historic train station converted into a hotel. Everything was nice at the hotel but I wouldn't recommend it for children and the area it is situated is a little rundown. It is situated right next to the Penn State playing field with the bright field lights on most of the night, luckily the curtains were heavy and did block the lights. It's definitely different but I would stay there again.

• Disliked — I was charged to park i there lot. I don't mind paying for things as long as I know in advance and not when I walk in the door.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Ray+minh
Kentucky
Reviewed November 25, 2007

We booked two nights at the Raddisson, but ended up staying only one and moving to the Hilton across the road. There is no pool, and the kids were disappointed with TV channel selections. I was disappointed by the lobby noise from the restaurant and pub which interfered with sleep - and the price. While it is a cool, historic property, the rooms are no nicer than other hotels, but the price is about double. Even the breakfast coupons they provided at check-in covered only half of our breakfast tab.

I'd highly recommend visiting the Raddisson lobby, but couldn't recommend staying there.

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank CheapWorldTraveller

Travelers are raving about these Scranton hotels

Reviewed November 23, 2007

Our room at the Radisson was not worth a premium. At the time of our visit, it was the highest priced hotel in Scranton. The room had a funny odor. The bathroom has a cheap plastic liner in the tub/shower. We had no hot water and, when we ran the water in the shower, black dirt came out of the tap. Other parts of the hotel looked shabby as well, e.g., blue tape over wallboard that was falling off.

Stayed November 2007
Northern Virginia
Reviewed November 8, 2007

I agree with the other reviews. Do take a walk through the lobby in this hotel, but spend your money elsewhere. I had driven past this gorgeous building during work trips to Scranton and couldn't wait to stay there for the Steamtown Marathon. The rooms were certainly overpriced as they are really basic and our bathroom was very small and the shower handle was grungy. Our room was not noisy but I did hear that friends who had rooms closer to the weddings and pianos had difficulty sleeping. The Sleep Number beds are bizarre and I really don't think I'll stay at a hotel that has them if that's my only bed option. A few of the folks at the desk were helpful but there was one woman in particular who was downright rude. I saw her the morning we left treating a fellow who was a frequent business guest just as badly so I guess I can't say it was just me. Unlike another reviewer I must have somehow gotten just the right person at the desk because I did get a late check out but they acted as though it was a HUGE favor. Most hotels that cater to runners would have planned for this. The building is pretty but the rooms are nothing spectacular and I felt as though the staff didn't really care if I stayed there or not.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff indifference, overpriced
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveler5715
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed at this hotel due to its close proximity to the Steamtown Marathon bus pick-up and finish line. However, upon arrival we learned that they were not allowing late check-out as all good hotels do on the day of a marathon. The $189/night marathon rate was higher than the rates other people were paying. They also required a two night minimum on marathon weekend.

The rooms all surround an atrium that allows the noise from parties and the piano to filter into your room. Our room had an a/c duct running behind the wall, which caused the bed to vibrate all night long. The staff was not concerned with supporting the many runners staying in this over-priced hotel. Parking is completely insufficient when the hotel is at capacity, and you have to pay for it...in SCRANTON, PA! Ridiculous.

Do yourself a favor and get a more reasonable hotel...the two mile drive will be worth it!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank BuzzReader
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We ended up stranded due to a broken car at this hotel. The hotel used to be a train station. It is beautifully renovated and quite luxurious. However, it lacks the "little extras" that would make your stay more enjoyable. The hotel staff lacks experience and courtesy. If you don't care about that, you will enjoy your stay.
The beds are the the famous "sleep number" beds, however from the lower end of the category. They are comfortable, but might not work properly. Our room had a malfunctioning bath room, which the staff addressed immediately upon request.
The atmosphere is beautiful.
The hotel lacks a pool.
The business center is too small and adjacent to the front desk which lacks privacy and produces too much noise.
The hotel would make a nice honeymoon opportunity. In fact, a wedding was in preparation during our breakfast.
We only ate breakfast there. The food was good, but not spectacular.
The hotel is ok, but not worth its money.

• Liked — The ambiance
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton

Been to Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton? Share your experiences!