“Not worth the money!!”

Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed at this hotel due to its close proximity to the Steamtown Marathon bus pick-up and finish line. However, upon arrival we learned that they were not allowing late check-out as all good hotels do on the day of a marathon. The $189/night marathon rate was higher than the rates other people were paying. They also required a two night minimum on marathon weekend.

The rooms all surround an atrium that allows the noise from parties and the piano to filter into your room. Our room had an a/c duct running behind the wall, which caused the bed to vibrate all night long. The staff was not concerned with supporting the many runners staying in this over-priced hotel. Parking is completely insufficient when the hotel is at capacity, and you have to pay for it...in SCRANTON, PA! Ridiculous.

Do yourself a favor and get a more reasonable hotel...the two mile drive will be worth it!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank BuzzReader
Write a ReviewReviews (1,129)

Reviewed September 5, 2007

We ended up stranded due to a broken car at this hotel. The hotel used to be a train station. It is beautifully renovated and quite luxurious. However, it lacks the "little extras" that would make your stay more enjoyable. The hotel staff lacks experience and courtesy. If you don't care about that, you will enjoy your stay.
The beds are the the famous "sleep number" beds, however from the lower end of the category. They are comfortable, but might not work properly. Our room had a malfunctioning bath room, which the staff addressed immediately upon request.
The atmosphere is beautiful.
The hotel lacks a pool.
The business center is too small and adjacent to the front desk which lacks privacy and produces too much noise.
The hotel would make a nice honeymoon opportunity. In fact, a wedding was in preparation during our breakfast.
We only ate breakfast there. The food was good, but not spectacular.
The hotel is ok, but not worth its money.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2007

We stayed here for one night only but were thoroughly impressed. The architecture of this hotel has been painstakingly preserved and it shows. The room that we had was huge, with a king size bed. The linens were wonderful, including the enormous duvet. The bed was a sleep number bed so you can choose the firmness on your side of the bed. The bathroom had polished granite floors and countertops but, like another contributor, I was baffled by the tub surround - it really didn't fit in with the rest of the bathroom. There was a mini-fridge, microwave and one-cup coffee maker in the room. The towels were very luxurious and plentiful which is always a bonus. The staff were friendly, always greeting us when we passed by. My husband wasn't happy with the $5 parking charge but it didn't bother me at all. I would definitely return to this hotel - it was a fantastic experience.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2007

The imposing exterior of the Lackawanna Station Radisson is a far cry from the sterile cookie-cutter hotels of modern times. Originally a train station, the historic property has become a comfortable hotel with luxurious elements seldom used today. The lobby is several stories tall with columns of marble. Some of the upstairs rooms are on hallways overlooking the lobby, or a stained glass ceiling to the lower part.
I booked a room on a Saturday night when the hotel was hosting a wedding and a baby shower. We were pleasantly surprised by the live music both in the evening and accompanying a sumptuous Sunday morning buffet.
The room had a granite countertop and granite tiles in the entryway. The plastic tub inset, therefore, was quite jarring. Sleep Comfort beds in all the rooms are comfortable, although not any better than a good-quality regular mattress. The staff was exceptionally pleasant.
I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Poconot2
Reviewed June 30, 2007

The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. The room we stayed in was a wonderful size, the bed was great and the bathroom was wonderful. I also visited the spa down the street, Alexanders, and it was wonderful.

Our room wasn't quite ready when we got there, but the hotel staff gave us a round of cocktails in the bar. We only had to wait about an additional 20 minutes, so it wasn't bad at all. Just enough time to enjoy our free cocktail.

The hotel staff was wonderful and very helpful. The bar staff was very nice and fun to deal with. The bar always had something going on, live entertainment.

It was very quiet in the room....of course, if you are track side, you hear trains during the day, but that is why we were there, so it didn't bother us too much.

The only thing I would caution you against would be the breakfast package. It's not worth the money. My overall breakfast experience for both days was lengthy. Generally about 45 minutes from getting to the podium to having breakfast served. And for the price, you can find much better in the area. The staff in the restaraunt seemed disorganized and probably short staffed.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dreamsgirl
Reviewed May 31, 2007

To say this hotel is a disappointment would be a gross understatement. Dump is a better word for it. It is made worse by the fact that it is in a beautiful historic train station and could have been terrific. This was actually my second stay at this hotel. I did not like it the first time and it was not my first choice for this trip. I was forced to take it due to staying over an event weekend. It was the only room I could get. Because of the busy weekend, we had to take what they call and Executive Suite at a rate of $269/night.

The hotel is filthy. Our room had months worth of dust on the windowsills, there are fingerprints on the front door glass at all times, fingerprints on the brass elevator doors all the time as well. One of the two guest elevators was broken for the duration of our two-day visit, and the second one failed early one morning forcing all departing guests to take the stairs. The stairs were so filthy they looked as if no one had used them in years. Even the shuttle van was filthy. I mean really, really dirty.

Our television set was nearly unwatchable because the adjustments were all out of whack. It would have been an easy fix but the staff was unable to do anything because they did not have a master remote. The fiberglass shower/tub combo was cracked and worn. The shower was very dark. The much touted Sleep Number bed was broken on one side (we were not going to use it so it did not effect us). Despite being billed as an Executive Suite the room was dismal and very poorly laid out. The sitting area was nearly useless.

The overwhelming issue at this hotel is the smoke/orders from the restaurant kitchens engulfing every floor. Some people are OK with it, some are not. I am one of the latter. And the smell is not of delicious food, but rather grease and burning grease at that.

We tried to order desserts from room service. After searching for a menu, we called and asked if there was one in the room. The response was "I can bring you one." It came quickly, but consisted of three photocopied sheets from the café menu and none of them had desserts. Another phone call and we were told the three dessert options - and that one was not available. However, the food did come quickly and was good.

There is no bell service that we could ever see and none was offered. I never was able to find a manager - either on the phone or in person. You just had to deal with whoever was in front of you.

I could go on.

To their credit, when I explained our dissatisfaction they offered to not charge us for one of the three nights. I frankly thought they owed us more, but I took their offer and left it at that.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ira619
Reviewed May 10, 2007

This hotel was recommended to me by a co-worker who has stayed there when visiting her son who is a student at next-door University of Scranton. It is very convenient to the University, as well as to I-81, but I don't know that I would stay here again.

My first problem came with the valet parking. I arrived at about 7 p.m. in heavy rain. After circling the parking area twice, I found a place where I could park, although I could tell it was not a real spot. I just wanted to go inside, check in and find out if there was an off-site parking area. The valet, who I had not seen before, very rudely informed me that I could not park there. The valet has no signs, but they are located right in front of the main doors.

Once inside, the front desk staff was very friendly and efficient.

The hotel is beautiful with old architecture and marble floors. However, one of the problems is that it is still designed like an old train station. The doors to the rooms open to a hallway that overlooks the lobby.

The main restaurant is in the lobby, and there is a lot of noise that comes from down there. Also, the smell from the restaurant drifts into the room (and I was on the fourth floor). It's not a bad smell, but it was not great when trying to fall asleep.

Also, the street was just outside my window, and it was very noisy all night. I would suggest getting a room on the "back" of the hotel, if possible. I imagine it would be more quiet.

The main restaurant is very expensive, but it looked good. I ate at the bar/grill, which had above average food and good service.

In all, I would probably look elsewhere to stay, but it was not a horrible experience.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank RyryE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton
Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore

Been to Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton? Share your experiences!