“GROSS”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Reviewed September 5, 2010

The man that checked me in was very nice. but it was really run down. i got there late, so i just wanted to sleep. i opened the night stand to look for delivery places , and found drug substances!!!! then, in the middle of the night i woke up to go to the bathroom and there were 2 roaches crawling on the walls!!!! gross!!!! i would not recommend you're dog to stay there!!!! never again, even if it was free!

• Stayed: September 2010

Reviewed August 26, 2010

The motel is somewhat rundown, so my wife wouldn't want to stay there, but it was clean, quiet, and economical with a hospitable staff, so it was fine for a place to sleep for the night.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Our room was clean including bed clothes. Pool was clean and in good shape. The rest of the facility was just worn out. Bathroom fixtures worked properly but baseboard missing. Sheets clean but threadbare and pinprick holes. Pillows needed replaced. Had to fold it over to use it. Wallpaper/paint in the hallways stained and peeling. Very quiet--tucked away from road noise, but nothing to eat/see within walking distance. Restaurant closed.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2010

When my partner and I arrived at this hotel, I was looking for a romantic evening. I expected a professionally cleaned room with a disinfected and clean hot tub. We were tired out from a long drive. But, my sixth sense warned me problems with this place. We entered our room and fell promptly asleep. Later, when we wanted to use the hot tub in the room, I noticed something wrong moments before I turned on the water. It looked like thousands of craps left by cockroaches!
I got angry and asked for another room. We were given another room at a lesser rate, but it was worse than before. My partner and I fought worse than we ever had. After a night like this, and a dismal breakfast, we drove home separately.
I complained to their franchise headquarters. I was given my half of the refund of money. but would I stay there again? Hell no. My advise to any one.. run for the hills. There are OTHER and BETTER motels in scranton area than this one.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2010

My family stayed at this hotel as a stopover on our way to Chicago from Maine. It was inexpensive and we didn't expect a luxury experience but we did want a clean and decent place to rest our heads for the night.

While this hotel was not the worst on our trip (for that you'd have to check out The Rodeway Inn in Williamsville, NY) it was certainly not a place we would ever book again. First of all, we parked around the side of the building and the side entrance wasn't locked - it was open for anyone at all to just walk in. Our room was next to that entrance and this caused us all a bit of worry during the night.

The room was very unappetizing: The toilet ran all night long. The bedding was washed, but stained, and there were burn holes in the sheets. The platform-style beds had dirt and hair (!) along the edges, and the continental breakfast was deemed "the grossest thing I ever saw" by my not-very-picky teenaged son. There were fruit flies all over the bread and bagels and the apple juice had turned and fermented. The only fruit available was plastic.

We will not be back to the Econolodge and would strongly recommend that you pay a little more and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I booked the EconoLodge in advance knowing it would be my stop en route to a conference in Philadelphia (leaving just a couple of hours to drive first thing the next morning). I arrived with my colleague exhausted and decided to ignore the fact that we had to check in through a little window from outside (the lobby was locked) and the funky smell. I did not see any bugs in the room, but let's be honest - I didn't really look. I covered the stained pillow cases with a towel I'd brought from home and laughed off the little holes in the bedsheets.

What I could not laugh off or ignore was the massive cockroach staring at me from inside my bagel at the continental breakfast. I woke up the woman at the front desk (yes; she was sleeping) to inform her and promptly left.

Like any interstate, there are other options. Stay absolutely anywhere else. This is the worst.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2009

My complete review: Rates should be $20 less--'nuff said.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Days Inn Scranton PA
Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain
Econo Lodge Clarks Summit
Econo Lodge Clarks Summit
#4 of 6 in Clarks Summit

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!