“Eat here!”

Chicano's
Ranked #49 of 305 Restaurants in Scranton
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is what I call a Mom and Pop style Restaurant. It used to be located a little closer to me in a city neighborhood and they relocated to a larger building a few years ago. You had a hard time getting a table at lunch as it's a favorite of local residents.

The food is excellent. Everyone that I have taken to this restaurant raves about how good the food is. Try the wet Burrito with the red or green sauce you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Awesome little hole in the wall. Great food. Ordered empanadas, a taco, and the enchilada dinner with chile verde. Food was prepared quickly and empanadas can out super hot and crispy. The carnitas on the taco was excellent, very well seasoned. And the verde sauce was really good too. Everything was very fresh and also inexpensive. Everything that I ordered came to about $10. Will totally be revisiting Chicano's in the near future.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

My co-workers raved about this place for a while before I tried it myself, what a gem! The place is absolutely outstanding, authentic and FRESH Mexican food at very affordable prices! It's a small little place but the food and service makes up for that. I work just a few minutes away so I take out about once a week now. They know me by name at this point, but then again it's family owned and they are all very nice there. Great place! Highly recommended!

1  Thank Cimart225
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I'm sorry about the title, but when I think of this restaurant this is the first thing that came to my mind. If you are looking for authentic delicious mexican food, this is the best place in Scranton hands down.

The Good- The service. This is a restaurant run by a family. The were friendly and helpful, made no mistakes, and everything was brought out hot and fresh, as well as timed beautifully. The fact that it is a family run business added to the charm. The entire staff was friendly and made you feel like you were at a neighbor's house enjoying a great meal.

The Great - The food. OMG!!! I live about 4 hours away, and lived in southern california most of my life so I know good mexican food, this place was the real deal. With how the dishes were prepared, to the presentation, to the flavors, this place was a home run all the way. The flavors evoked memories of my childhood and young adult life when I used to eat mexican food 2-3 times a week. My only regret is that I live so far away that I can only eat here a couple times a year when I come to visit family.

Why you'd Avoid - This is not a fancy place. If you are looking for high prices, eating on fine china, and champagne with your meal, this is not the place for you. This is the real mexico. Enjoy it for what it is, a great authentiuc mucho delicioso restaurant.

This is a place I know I will visit again and again. The prices are great, the food amazing, and you leave the restaurant with a feeling that you just added people to your family. This place definitely earned a rare 5 stars from me!!!!

If you like this style of review or found it helpful, please click the helpful tab so I know to keep my reviews in this style. Thank you for your help.

4  Thank blewjaye
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I went to Chicano’s twice and at first it was great and the second trip wasn’t as good. I was trying different things on the menu and figuring out what I prefer. They have good quesadillas, fajitas, rice, beans, and excellent chicken (in the fajitas). I’d pass on that clear soup dish if you don’t like lime to overpower your broth. I wasn’t a fan of the burritos (green sauce and pork) or the enchiladas (with red and chicken) the red sauce is humdrum and the green is repulsive (there is another large infusion of lime in green sauce). I understand that lime plays a part in the cuisine but it’s not for me. The chipotle sauce they serve with the chips is spicy hot. They have good prices and decent Mexican food. Once I know what my favorites are I’ll be able to order no problem. Service is good and the place is small.
Food = 2.5/5 (good)