“Must do if visiting ”

Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Scranton
More attraction details
Owner description: The tour will take you 300 feet below the earth into the pitch blackness old-time miners, some as young as seven or eight, had to face. While you won’t have to deal with poisonous gases, you will feel the chill. The Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour is open from April 1st through November 30th and is closed only on Thanksgiving Day.
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

I love Scranton ! You must must must do the coal mine tour ! It's so cool down underground If you do go maybe bring a coat just in case . If you do go also do the museum ! Very
Historical place

Reviewed December 3, 2013

One of the best attractions/tours we have been on in a long time. The gift shop had a good selection and prices were reasonable. Bathrooms were very clean and well maintained.

We were greeted as we walked in and purchased our tickets. It was a short wait until the next tour and they informed us that they were just starting a short movie while we waited for our tour. It provided you with alot of background and history of the area and mining. Our trip started promptly on time. The ride in the car into the mine was a great experience and something we won't soon forget.

Once in the mine our guide was very knowledgable and answered any question we thru at him. He took the time to answer all questions and wasn't hurried to move you along. I think it is a big plus to have guides that have worked in this industry first hand and are experienced vs: staff that just go off a script and tell you they are told to. You can tell a lot of time and work have been put into this.

It is a unique experience and how many people can say they have been that far underground. I would highly recommend this tour!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I called this morning (the day after Thanksgiving) checking if they were open and was informed they were. Arrived at 2:10pm after a 70 mile drive to find a note on the door saying they were closed at 2:00pm today. The website says the last tour is at 3:30.
I called from the parking lot and was told that they closed early because it had been very busy and the tour guides were tired and cold. Thanks, now I can drive my 10 year old disappointed son 70 miles back home.
I was told I was welcome to come back tomorrow!

4  Thank Amy M
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Beautiful scenery, clean bathrooms, good gift shop AWSOME coal mine ride and tour.
Guides were informative and friendly.
The anthracite museum is a wonderful way to end your day and it's with in walking distance of the mine.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is an absolutely fabulous tour with incredible guides that know their history and personal experiences. I found the tour was very comprehensive with multiple stops and loads of information. The tour would be interesting to nearly anyone, as the site is attractive to young and old visitors alike. I personally had a tour guide that was a miner in that particular area (I believe his name was Bob, but I could be mistaken) and he offered his own personal stories that added so much colour to the tour. Fabulously education and entertaining alike, I highly recommend this to anyone passing through the area. Best part is, if you are travelling during the summer months, it is incredibly cool! Bring a jacket or sweater no matter the season.

Been to Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour? Share your experiences!