“Good Option for a rainy day”

Lackawanna County Coal Mine
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Scranton
More attraction details
Owner description: The tour will take you 300 feet below the earth into the pitch blackness old-time miners, some as young as seven or eight, had to face. While you won’t have to deal with poisonous gases, you will feel the chill. The Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour is open from April 1st through November 30th and is closed only on Thanksgiving Day.
Yardley, Pennsylvania
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Good Option for a rainy day”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had done this tour 20 years ago when in college, but had completely forgotten about it until a friend reminded me of it. We were up in the Poconos for the weekend and looking for something to do with the kids on a cloudy day. This was a great option. The tour was very informative and definitely gave you a feel of what life was like in the coal mine. The kids loved it and so did the adults. We didn't have time to visit the rest of the park, but there is a large playground there that the kids wanted to go on -- maybe next time we are in the area. I would definitely recommend this if you are in the Pocono region and looking for something to do.

Visited September 2013

Medford, New Jersey
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Fascinating Tour by Great Guides!!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We randomly came across this tour because of a suggestion from a fellow car rental customer who found out we were driving from New Jersey to Niagara Falls, and mentioned they had done this tour along the same route when they previously did the same tour... what an awesome suggestion!! I don't think I ever would have done this tour had they not suggested it and spoken so highly of it.

The tour was actually really interesting, I'm sure due in large part to our awesome tour guide, Robert (Bob). All the guides are retired or current coal miners, and at least our guide seemed to truly love talking about the history of the coal mines and miners.

It was pretty fascinating, and I learned so much more than I ever knew I wanted to know about coal mining and the history of the mines and the area!

It was definitely cold down inside the mine, as others have mentioned. Be sure to bring a coat or a jacket - it's steadily 50 degrees down there no matter what time of year it is. It's also very wet. Make sure you wear comfortable shoes... just meaning shoes that you can easily walk in. I wear flip-flops 24/7 so I am adept at walking long distances in them, so I had no problem. Another lady on our tour had heeled sandals on and she was having a rough time with it.

This tour isn't great for little kids, either. If your kids are younger than about 11 or 12, you probably want to skip it. The ones that were on our tour were having fun on the cart ride down into the mine, but throughout the entire "educational" part of the tour they were bored and babbling to each other and their parents instead of listening, and shuffling around distracting everyone else trying to pay attention. Do them and everyone else a favor and wait until they're old enough to at least pretend to be listening.

Definitely check this tour out if you find yourself in the Scranton area.

2 Thank SanDiego
Rochester, New York
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Not a destination, but if you are in Scranton, looking for something to do...”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

...this was a worthwhile and very interesting distraction. We arrived on a Sunday morning at 10 am. The first tour was not until 11 am. We watched the film offered in the small theater and still had a 1/2 hour to kill. Our guide was young, but well-trained (no way was he ever a mine worker, but that's OK and he did not represent himself as one). My sister-in-law (my wife is claustrophobic and wouldn't go on the tour) and I agreed that the tour was well worth it, interesting and discussed what we learned long after the tour ended. Nice job!

2 Thank Dave E
Syracuse, New York
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Another Historic must see”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Scranton overall in my opinion is a little past its prime. This was an example of what it was like in the day. The guides are very friendly and informative. I love the fact that you can see coal still in that mine and you can imagine what it was like to work in that environment.

Philadelphia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Must Stop For Families”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stopped here on the way home from Syracuse. We have two boys ages 7 & 9 - and although they have traveled a lot this summer - from Nantucket to a week in the Poconos - saw a bear, swam with seals etc. etc. etc....they can't stop talking about the Mine tour. This is what they will talk about on their first day back to school. Don't miss it!
The mandatory gift shop at this place was also a great inexpensive find for little stones that the boys wanted - and of course- they came home with coal in their pockets.
***Do not forget sweatshirts. It's really cold!!!

2 Thank bpilko

Been to Lackawanna County Coal Mine? Share your experiences!