“An interesting historical experience.”

Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Scranton
More attraction details
Owner description: The tour will take you 300 feet below the earth into the pitch blackness old-time miners, some as young as seven or eight, had to face. While you won’t have to deal with poisonous gases, you will feel the chill. The Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour is open from April 1st through November 30th and is closed only on Thanksgiving Day.
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We enjoyed our visit to the Coal Mine. My son went on a school trip and liked it so much that we decided to go as a family. My great-grandfather worked in a coal mine in Pennsylvania, so it was a neat experience to be able to see the conditions the miners endured.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

How often to you get to go deep into the earth to see a real coal mine? Well, if your a Eastern,Pennsylvania native, you most likely took a few school trips. It is an awesome, educational experience. On a summer day, it is a "cool" way to spend a few hours as it is always a constant temp underground.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

Thuoght it was cool but not for very young or very old. My older in-laws went and they thought is was really cool as well but they got stuck and had to take an emergency escape to get out. Again, not for very young or old.

Reviewed November 24, 2011

Growing up in the area, I like this mine because it provided info to what my family did before I was born. It was nice to learn about the area you once lived. My kids, though, knowing nothing about coal (living no where near PA) they thought it was amazing. We've been twice so far with them and every time we go up to visit they ask to go again. They even tell their friends about it and now they want to go. Definitely worth the visit.

Reviewed November 20, 2011

My husband and I recently moved to Scranton and brought my parents here when they came to visit. It was a very interesting and informative tour. I'd definitely recommend visiting if you are in the area.

Been to Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour? Share your experiences!