“Great site for train enthusiasts”

Steamtown National Historic Site
Ranked #1 of 35 things to do in Scranton
More attraction details
Owner description: This small museum is all about steam engines and their contribution to America's economy in the 19th century.
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and son are huge train enthusiasts and they both loved it!

All reviews
"train ride"
in 125 reviews
"big boy"
in 41 reviews
"steam engine"
in 44 reviews
"the national park service"
in 26 reviews
in 11 reviews
"all ages"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed October 23, 2011

Wonderful time at this site. Alot to see and do. Beautiful trains, interesting tour guides, and you can see all the efforts to preserve our history. Worth every Penney! Wish I had more time to take the longer ride.

Reviewed October 4, 2011

We have friends who live in PA and they suggested we take a ride here. My kids loved being able to see so many different types of Engines, Cars, an all the exhibits that were around the museum. My kids loved being able to go onto the different trains and loved all the hands-on things they could do. Our only drawback was that the train ride wasn't open. I guess it was starting the week after our visit. :(

Reviewed September 26, 2011

This past weekend we visited Steamtown and had a very nice time. We made the trip with three adults and two children (4 and 6). The museum is very interesting and has several rooms to go through while learning about the life at Steamtown and railroads. The museum tried to make sure visitors of all ages enjoyed their time at the museum. For the little ones there are three-four different trains to actually walk thru. I think the children we had with us overall were not very excited about the history part and going through some of the areas where it was not hands on. I highly recommend anyone who is into trains and the history behind them to take some time to visit Steamtown. There is a lot of information and the museum is really nice and laid out to keep you moving.

The best part for the kids is they offer a 30 minute train ride through the station and give you information about the different equipment in the yard. It was interesting and the kids loved being on a train. There is an additional fee for the train ride.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 19, 2011

My father was an avid model railroader who collected American Flyer equipment, built his own cars and locomotives, and gloried in the set-up he built in our attic. If only he were still with us. When I toured Steamtown I saw it through his eyes and could imagine his excitement at actually seeing a spectacular "Big Boy" Union Pacific articulated 4-8-8-4 locomotive sitting on a track, and being able to see a roundhouse first hand and up close. Wonderful.