“You get what you pay for”

Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
NYC area
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel a few times. Its really more of a motel actually. I live in NJ. I'll occasionally go out to Scranton for the day and then spend the night. I have a few friends that live there so we meet up at one of the bars at night and during the day I go to the mall or watch the steam trains. Its good for a change of scenery. Since I don't spend pratically any time in the hotel when I'm there this place is fine. Its basically a room and a bed and a bathroom, definitely nothing fancy, but for the price its good. As far as recommending it, it really depends. If you think you're going to spend a lot of time at the hotel then no I wouldn't recommend it. If you just need a place to sleep though it is fine, at least I've always felt so.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

We spent the night in this motel on our way up to visit family in Vermont. It was perfectly adequate for what we paid. You can't beat the location, right in downtown Scranton, and it was a short drive (probably a ten-minute walk) to a great coffee shop for breakfast.

The motel is old and rundown, but the area seems pretty safe. The shower was old and cracked. Make sure you wear shoes the whole time :) The beds were fairly comfortable and there was a TV in the room. Not much noise from the road or the other rooms.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Holly Hill, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

We went to Scranton with the primary goal of visiting Steamtown National Historic Site. We traveled with two adults and three children, ages 2, 6, and 9.

This hotel was the closest we could find to the site that had rooms available without prior reservations. The hotel also had free parking at the time of our stay.

Entering the lobby of the hotel was much like a locker room, very warm and smelling of unwashed sweaty people. Hotel staff seemed made up primarily of persons of Indian or Pakistani ethnicity.

The first room we were assigned had pubic hair on the toilet.

The second room we were assigned had dirty stained sheets.

The third room ended up passing a visual inspection and we stayed the night in that room. The beds slept comfortably and we had no issues with odd odors in the room or loud noises in the area.

At checkout in the morning we were able to see that the hotel cleaning staff was an elderly Indian or Pakistani woman in a fancy sari.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ReeseFamily
Portsmouth NH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

It's a little run down & tired but the price was right. Hot coffee in the morning was just fine.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

I am glad the negative reviews I found online did not ultimately stop us from staying here. We were in town for the night for a wedding and didnt want to pay $100+ for the larger hotels. The room we had was clean and comfortable. Everything worked as it should (and we used everything from AC to TV to Shower). At around 11 pm we found the TV didnt have a remote, so we called the front desk and they brought one up immediately. Yeah, the area immediately around the hotel is a little desolate/industrial, but it is not that far from the main strips (its a small city). The pool is not much to speak of (small and only 3 feet deep) so if that is important you might look elsewhere. But otherwise we were more that happy for the price we paid-- $53 total 1 night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

I don't know what these people are talking about. I just stayed there.The beds were very comfortable, the pillows too.The non-smoking room had no smell at all, not even the pillows.The bath was spotless.No mold on shower curtain.The sink was clean and well-supplied with tissue, cups,hairdryer etc. Plenty of towels.It was quiet. I didn't hear anybody.The TV and remote worked great- lots of choices.The lamps and clock radio all worked.Generous pool hours.It's a small pool, but-heh- for the price, how many hotels even offer that?Breakfast room was pleasantly furnished and you could sit outside by the pool.Not a fancy breakfast but you're not paying $300 a night either.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank noroachhotel
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2008

without question the worst hotel I've ever stayed in - cold - dirty - a total shameless disgrace - all websites who book hotels should stop supporting this joke of a motel from using them for a cloak of respectability - The rooms here haven't been renovated or even maintained in decades. The bath is utterly unusable even as a shower for filthy peeling grunge in it - the wallpaper is peeling - I mean I live in hotels - but this has to be put out of business!! If it's freezing in here now - I can only imagine how cold it will be in here in Dec/Jan!! I'm probably just going to check out assuming I can find a replacement hotel - I'm sadly forced to award this dump one star - but it totally doesn't deserve it

Howard Johnson should sue for redcarpet trading on their name too

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank dakn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Comfort Suites
#4 of 10 in Scranton
Four Points by Sheraton Scranton
Sleep Inn & Suites Scranton Dunmore

Been to Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton? Share your experiences!