“Wonderful experience”

Houdini Museum
Ranked #10 of 35 things to do in Scranton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: RESERVATIONS SUGGESTED! A museum dedicated to Houdini, the famous magician. Includes a film, a guided tour of the exhibit and a 1 hour stage magic show with nationally known magicians,with doves, ducks, a rabbit and a poodle. Lots of comedy and audience participation. Our magicians have appeared on HBO and other network specials. We often sell out and advance phone reservations are discounted. Arrive between 1 PM and 2:15 and see the entire event. Earlier tours are a bit longer.
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were there 3 days ago and had a wonderful time. Jen B's review captures it well: an eccentric vaudevillian feel. Sorry Jen, can I steal another line? I couldn't agree more when you the Bravo and Dorothy are passionate about the craft, the history, are friendly and charismatic. We chatted for quite a while after the show and learned about their backstories and wow, these folks have stories to tell. I have two girls and was delighted to FINALLY see a magician who was woman (rather than assistant). As a former animal trainer in Los Angeles, I'm super sensitive to the condition of any animals used in shows or acts, and their critters were in great form an clearly loved and cared for. The physical space was like Grandma's attic: wonders piled on wonders, all old, all of meaning, all awaiting a little explanation. I loved that the tour was guided as I'm sick sick sick of going to museum, seeing an object, and have dozens of questions far beyond those answered by the descriptive plaque next to the item. You can ask Bravo all kinds of questions...he knows all about it. Very good time.

1  Thank 205spanky
"call ahead"
in 4 reviews
"three hours"

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Felt like I stepped back in time! The eccentric vaudevillian feel was fun , entertaining and friendly.
Left the place feeling like we had made new friends.
The museum is run by friendly, charismatic people with a passion for their craft and it's history.
"Bravo", Bravo! Encore Dorothy!
Thank you for the smiles ,laughter and good time!

1  Thank Jen B
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This place is awful. Very expensive, bad odor. There is very little about Houdini there. I went to several children's partys there when my kids were young. Awful. Dirty, bunnies in fish tanks used for fake tricks. They just redid the outside signs to make it look great but I've been back and the only people I see go in are on bus trips. Skip this and you don't miss a thing. Stage show is fake, I have no idea why this is in Scranton.

1  Thank pat w
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was greatly disappointed with this attraction, even my kids did not appear thrilled. It was very amateur, the location is not good.

2  Thank Sharon S
See more reviews
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Expensive, cluttered, dirty and boring. When I go to a museum, I want to learn something and look around at my own pace. Not be led around by a tour guide who is constantly begging for donations. At $20 a person I also expect a better magic show.

Long story short. Instead of spending money here, let your kid mess up their room for a month or two and then hand them a magic book and have them put on a show in their messy room. Congrats! You feel like you just went on the Houdini tour.

3  Thank HopelessMagic

Been to Houdini Museum? Share your experiences!