“Not so great!”

Houdini Museum
Ranked #8 of 34 things to do in Scranton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: RESERVATIONS SUGGESTED! A museum dedicated to Houdini, the famous magician. Includes a film, a guided tour of the exhibit and a 1 hour stage magic show with nationally known magicians,with doves, ducks, a rabbit and a poodle. Lots of comedy and audience participation. Our magicians have appeared on HBO and other network specials. We often sell out and advance phone reservations are discounted. Arrive between 1 PM and 2:15 and see the entire event. Earlier tours are a bit longer.
Reviewed September 1, 2011

First there is hardly any parking....we had to park around the block...John Bravo is the guy who was at the door and told us to just wait...very nasty...& when I told my husband that we left the coupons in the car a nice man offer his extra coupons. John Bravo said no way can I use those coupons & that my husband can walk around the block & get it! He was so rude thatvwe took our kids and left! He did not even care ....he said he would probably get a raise for not letting us use someone else's coupon! It was dirty and not friendly!

4  Thank theboys2

Reviewed August 29, 2011

We traveled approx 132 miles for the show. The girls really liked the magic show. I liked the show and the jokes geared towards the adults. They were corny but funny. If I had to do it again I wouldn't have traveled that far to see the show. I wouldn't travel more than 50 miles for this. It was also a bit pricey for what they had to offer.

Reviewed August 7, 2011

All I can say is if you have ever wanted to experience the paranormal, if your relatives ever described an experience, or if you just wanted to experience what is shown on the ghost investigator programs, this is the attraction for you. I was surprised my wife agreed to go to the event, as she is afraid of haunted rides at amusement parks and during Halloween haunted hayrides. The experience was terrifying. I got what I went there for and more. Would I go back again? Hell NO. That should say it all. The men in the room were more terrified than the women I think. The brochure states, "Not for the faint of heart. No pacemakers." Do not disregard those warnings. Expect to be out late, the seance did not get into the meat of the matter until eleven and went on past midnight. It was a stormy night, to add to the atmosphere.

2  Thank 0906ret
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I was really impressed with the collection of artifacts once owned by Houdini, though disappointed that photos were not allowed in the museum.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

The Houdini Museum is a wonderful place for all ages! The staff are experts on the life of the great magician. They provide visitors with an interesting biography of his life. The museum contains numerous items that had belonged to Harry Houdini. The pace is very relaxed, and the staff are happy to answer visitors' questions.

The magic shows are particularly entertaining, and Dorothy is an outstanding entertainer! I really enjoyed watching her make doves and rabbits appear out of nowhere, and turn a duck into a poodle! She ended her show by levitating my 14 year old son.

The museum is a must see for Scranton residents, and is certainly a great attraction for the areas visitors. All ages will enjoy! You, too, can have your son levitated!

Susan S, Wyoming, PA

Been to Houdini Museum? Share your experiences!