“Good place for the weary traveller”

Residence Inn Scranton
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
“Good place for the weary traveller”
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is what you would expect out of a Residence Inn located in a busy shopping area. This not a place for a restful vacation, it is good for business and short trips. Beds were not comfortable and the hotel seems a little worn down, but the staff was great and the complimentary breakfast was much better than the norm. All in all, I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chelsea C, Manager at Residence Inn Scranton, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are happy that you enjoyed our breakfast and found our staff friendly. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit Scranton, PA!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lansford
Reviewed April 15, 2014

While I'm working in the area it's such a pleasure to be able to come "home" at the end of the day. The Residence Inn is a great home away from home. The housekeeping staff does an awesome job. The front desk and food service staff makes you feel like you're part of the family. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The daily breakfasts have many options to choose from. The location of the Residence Inn makes it convenient to many shopping and dining options. This place is the golden ticket of hotels in the area.

I will miss being here when my assignment is complete.

Room Tip: Book your stay in advance, the rooms fill up quickly.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Chelsea C, Manager at Residence Inn Scranton, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are extremely happy that you have been enjoying your weekly stays with us and that our service, breakfast, rooms, and amenities have exceeded your expectations. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty and hope that we will see if you visit Northeastern Pennsylvania in the future!
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I've never had an issue staying at a Residence inn. Always comfortable and spacious rooms at a reasonable price. Hot breakfast in the morning is always great and a pleasure not to have to go out. The surprise was the free buffet dinner in the hotel the night before. Never saw that before.

I just want to commend one employee there who straightened out the payment for my room. I was in Pa. for business and my work made the reservation using their credit card. When I checked in the front desk swiped my credit card for what I assumed were incidentals. Well they charged the entire stay on my credit card and the employee who checked me out caught the error, credited my credit card and called my business to get their credit card again over the phone. She didn't have to do that but she did! Thanks Nancy! I'm sure I'll be back in Scranton for other business and the Residence inn will be my hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Chelsea C, Manager at Residence Inn Scranton, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are happy that you enjoyed our rooms, breakfast, and social hour in the evening. Nancy is one of our most seasoned front desk agents and we are glad to hear that she was able to rectify the issue concerning your credit card. We will certainly make sure we recognize Nancy for noticing this quickly and helping fix the problem. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the Scranton area!
Wormleysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My family and I recently stayed for one night at this Residence Inn near Scranton. I did use the Marriott rewards program for the stay, which was certainly my motivation for selecting this location. We were not disappointed. We checked in after 9pm and the front desk attendant was friendly, helpful and expedited the check in process.

Our room was clean and comfortable, similar to other Residence locations that I have stayed at. My children slept in the pull out couch and said it was 'ok', but they appeared to sleep well to me. Some reviewers mentioned the proximity to I-81 and the road noise. I noticed it, but did not impact my sleep or comfort. I would suggest trying to get a room that is furthest from the highway, if you think the noise would be a concern.

Our motivation for staying in the Scranton area was to ski at Elk Mountain, which was about 1/2 hour drive from this location. The breakfast, which is included with the stay, was fine and adequate for the class of hotel. There were hot items: scrambled eggs. potatoes, french toast, waffles and sausage. There was also a variety of yogurt, fresh fruit, muffins, toast, bagels and cereals.

I was pleased with our stay and the offerings and will consider this place again when we are in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Amanda E, General Manager at Residence Inn Scranton, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind feedback regarding your stay at the Scranton Residence Inn, we are truly happy you had a comfortable experience. We hope you enjoyed your skiing at Elk Mountain as well, and hope to welcome you back in the future.
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2014

The staff here is outstanding. As a frequent traveler, it is always nice to feel at home while on the road and I do here. Great location that offers lots of entertainment, dining and shopping options.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Chelsea C, Manager at Residence Inn Scranton, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We take great pride in having a friendly and attentive staff and are glad you enjoy our close location to local dining, shopping, and other attractions. Thank you for your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you the next time you visit the Scranton area!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have stayed here a lot over 4 years. I find everything tops. Employees are great and are very thoughtful and courteous,
I would reccommend staying at this residence to my business associates. Also good for family stay.

Room Tip: My 1 bedroom is perfect for my lomger term stays. I checked January above but have been here much mo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you, Joseph, for taking the time to review our hotel! We are happy to hear that we have been able to fulfill your expectations with our property, rooms, and friendly staff. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to our hotels and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area!
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Like all Residence Inns, this is laid out well for group travel. I will also say that the free breakfast was better - both slightly larger and more attentively managed - than most hotels. The internet speed was better than most I've encountered recently. However, I would avoid at all costs for the reasons laid out below.

It isn't in wonderful repair. While nothing was dirty, per se, there were stains on the sofa, lots of wear on the walls, a strange blue oozey looking stain on the tub - just generally run down looking. The kitchen was especially sad - the little oven was comically old and crappy, the counters were among the saddest looking laminate I've ever seen. No luggage racks.

Sheets and beds were not very comfortable. Comforter incredibly thin, sheets pretty threadbare. Towels were ok. Overuse of strong detergents throughout. Pull out sofa was the worst I've tried to sleep on.

Customer service issues: Our keys didn't work initially, so that had to be redone. A family member left her flat iron, which was reported the same day we checked out, but was never found (i.e., housekeeping stole it). More importantly, they completely screwed up our credit cards and not only double charged me (which has not yet been fixed), but didn't initially give me Reward points/credit. What's worse is that in their bizarre style of attempting to charge the card, they entered several random amounts, which triggered a fraud alert, causing my card to shut down. Nonetheless, the employee continued until (I learned from the bank) it had been rejected 7 times in a row. At no point did they ask me for another card or to call the bank. Furthermore, dealing with the manager to get this straightened out has been hellish. She is either rude or incredibly stupid, possibly both.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Amanda E, General Manager at Residence Inn Scranton, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are truly happy that you enjoyed our breakfast and internet capabilities. I trust that the resolution of your billing issues has met with your satisfaction. Steps have been implemented to insure similar situations not occur in the future. It is through feedback such as yours that allows us to improve our service and insure all our guests enjoy their home away from home.

Thanks!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
#5 of 10 in Scranton
Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton
Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Dickson City/Scranton

Been to Residence Inn Scranton? Share your experiences!