“Excellent location”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent location”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located directly off I-81 and near an outdoor shopping area. It is a well-maintained spot. However, you can't use your GPS to get to it directly. You must be able to go to it by seeing it. The staff needs to be a little more flexible too. When we were there on a Sunday, the place was almost empty, but our request for a free upgrade wasn't honoured, even though this was our 9th night at a HI. This place is popular on Friday-Saturday nights, so may be busy and noisy. We have stayed here before and would do so again. The heating-cooling systems are noisy and need upgrading.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have a three year old son, and don’t get much of a chance to spend quality time just the two of us. As my family lives up in Scranton (we are from Philadelphia), and offered to watch our son for the weekend, we decided to use our 50,000 hard-earned Hilton Honors points and book a room at the Hampton Inn at Montage for my birthday weekend. We had an entire weekend of skiing, relaxing, and getting uninterrupted sleep planned for this special treat. Like I said, in the past three years we can count on one hand all of the alone-time trips we get to spend together to reconnect and relax. In fact, in the comments section of my reservation I even put “we would like a quiet room, away from noise”. Little did I know, this was the exact opposite of what we would happen.
Check-in was okay, our room was okay. The bed wasn’t the comfortable beds we are used to at Hampton Inn. We asked for a different room but we were told the entire hotel was booked for a youth Hockey league. This should have been a red flag, but we tried to make the best of it and after getting housekeeping to put on an extra mattress cover, the springs were more insulated. Around 4pm we left the hotel to go to an early dinner and drinks and catch a movie. The plan was to be back at the hotel early enough to enjoy a dip in the hot tub, and a romantic night in our room. As we walked back into the lobby at 10pm, we saw the beginning of our nightmare unfolding. The lobby was PACKED with drunken adults. Hard liquor bottles, beer bottles, and wine bottles overflowed tables, trash cans, etc. It smelled like a fraternity party. These adults were the parents of about 150+ young children ranging in ages from 6-14. Children were running rampant throughout the lobby and hallways. We tried to take the elevator up to our fourth floor room but children were packed into both, hitting all the buttons, laying down and pretending to sleep, etc. After ten minutes of trying to reason with these unsupervised children to get out of the elevator, we went to the front desk where the ONLY employee on that night was working, Gregory. Gregory seemed overwhelmed, and frustrated. We asked him to do something about the kids in the elevator, and he just shrugged and said he’d “try”.
We made it up to the fourth floor, and had mistakenly assumed we’d be safe from the disaster going on downstairs, but we were wrong again. Children, all without a parent in sight (as the parents were getting drunk and oblivious in the lobby) were running throughout the hallways, banging on doors, slamming doors, even playing HOCKEY in the hallways. We went into our room and changed into swimsuits and decided our only respite would be a long soak in the hot tub. Surely no unsupervised children would be in the pool right? The hotel rules are anyone under 14 must be with an adult. WRONG AGAIN. The entire hot tub and pool was packed with little kids. Little!! Like, 6, 7, 8 years old. And guess what? There wasn’t a single adult in the pool area. Oh yeah, and not a single pool towel either. We walked back out to Gregory, again, he was the ONLY hotel employee there, and asked for towels. He said the hotel was completely out and handed us a couple wash cloths and hand towels. Wow, thanks. We told him about the children in the pool, the children in the hallways banging on doors and told him we expected something to be done immediately; it was 11pm at this point. Gregory point blank said there was nothing he could do. He went on to tell us that Lori Blakeslee, the sales manager, allowed this same hockey group to come every year, and this is what happened every year. His only suggestion was to bring it up with her, as his hands were tied because he was alone, facing hundreds of drunken hockey parents and their wild, uncontrolled kids. What the F#%*&???!!!! We went back to the pool, and as a parent, I couldn’t stand to see young kids unsupervised in the water, so I kicked them out myself and told them to go find their parents. It worked, but they kept coming in in drones so we left the pool, soaking wet with nothing to dry ourselves with but washcloths and tried to make our way back to the room. The noise in the lobby was at a fever pitch as these drunken hockey parents hooted and howled and showed no care or concern for their children, other guests or their self-respect. Get a hold of yourself people, is middle age really so bad that you have to act like 40-something frat wannabes while your children run wild? I guess so. Because it didn’t stop all weekend. That night we were up until 2AM because these mongrel children kept pranking everyone and banging on our doors then running away. Luckily for them they were quicker than me, because at that point I can’t say what I’d do to them if I actually caught one of the little jerks. I called down to the lobby and told Gregory we were calling the police, we had had it, we were being harassed, there was public drunkenness going on in the lobby and kids were being unwatched and endangered by the fact that their inebriated parents were too busy playing drinking games to watch them. Gregory begged us not to call the police and said he’d really try to do something. I called Hilton corporate at 2AM and begged the customer service rep to do something. She seemed quite blow away herself and put me on hold while she called Gregory and told him to get the hotel under control. Things slowly quieted down and by 3am we could fall asleep. No romance, no fun, no relaxation, just two irritated, frustrated, angry adults that were supposed to be enjoying a romantic birthday weekend, going to bed angry and pissed off. As we drifted off to sleep I remember telling my husband, “hey, at least we can sleep in tomorrow, there’s no way these people will be up early causing a ruckus”. Hahahah, joke was on me again!
The next morning at 7am we were awoken by the sound of thumping in the hallways. This cannot be happening, I thought as I stumbled the door to see what was going on. Oh yeah, about 25 kids were playing HOCKEY in the hallway…at 7am…with no parents in sight. I called down to the lobby again, and a girl answered and said “they’d try to do something’. Give me a break; the hotel staff never had any intention of doing ANYTHING. We went down at breakfast, which you can imagine was a zoo, as the arrogant hockey people and their poorly mannered children had devoured everything in sight and took up every table. I found Lori Blakeslee and asked to speak to her in private. We talked briefly and we expressed our concerns and downright outrage over the situation. She seemed apologetic enough, but like the other staff, I sensed that nothing would really be done to stop the chaos from occurring again this evening. She told us we’d get back all of our Hilton points, and gave us free lift tickets. I asked if she could write a letter to all the hockey people explaining that this could not happen again tonight. The drinking, kids in the pool, children running wild. She said she would. We hesitantly hoped for the best and went skiing for the day. It was a great day, probably because we were nowhere near the hotel. We arrived back to the hotel at 6pm to get ready for dinner, and guess what? Yes, the lobby was packed ONCE AGAIN with drunken adults, while kids ran wild everywhere. I immediately went to the front desk and asked what was going to happen tonight? Was the nightmare going to continue? There were three other guests asking the same thing. We were all outraged that the hotel would put unsuspecting families into this situation. If they wanted to allow a hotel to book up with wild, drunken hockey teams, then fine, but book the whole hotel, don’t stick a handful of regular guests, unsuspecting into this nightmare!! The hotel staff agreed, but again said that Lori Blakeslee was the person who handled the sales bookings and this was her call and she does this EVERY YEAR. We were told that Lori actually tells the staff to “leave the hockey people alone” aka, let them do whatever they want, and leave the poor defenseless non-hockey guests to suffer. Well, I don’t need to explain what happened on our second night…it was exactly the same as the first. Kids ran wild; hockey parents got drunk and oblivious and took up the entire lobby with their liquor and obnoxious behavior. Kids banged on our doors all night, we didn’t get to sleep until 2:30am. No romance, no happiness, no relaxation, no reconnection with my husband. Only another horrible night where I wished we were back home with our son. Upon check-out we were assured that Ryan, the GM would contact us, that our Hilton points would be returned and that they would make our “next stay” wonderful. Well, almost two weeks later, we have had ZERO Hilton points awarded, Ryan the GM has not been in as I’ve called for over a week asking to speak to him, and my disgust level rises by the day. Hilton’s corporate office promises that the GM at the hotel will help us, but I’m starting to think that NO ONE at the Hampton Inn at Montage cares about their guests, unless you’re in a hockey league that is. What a freaking nightmare. AVOID THIS HOTEL IF THERE IS ANY FUNCTION GOING ON! Trust me, they won’t give a crap about you as a guest, unless you’re in some group, and then you can basically run the hotel into the ground and they’ll look the other way. I guess there is power in numbers! SO. FREAKING. DISGUSTED with you Hampton Inn! Where are you GM Ryan Alpert? I’m waiting for you to contact me!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank davidandkat
scrantonhimontage, General Manager at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for the poor service that you had experienced during your stay over President's Day weekend. It was a pleasure speaking with you and I thank you for taking time out of your busy day to discuss the specific details that you had encountered. The information you have provided to me has led to great employee meetings.

As discussed I am glad that our weekend MOD was able to provide you with the lift tickets and your reward points refund. Per our conversation I am delighted you were able to come back this past weekend and enjoy the ski slopes. As mentioned your information is greatly appreciated, and it means a great deal to me that you allowed us the opportunity to make good on our commitment to service and the finest in accommodations. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Ryan M. Alpert
Hampton Inn Scranton
Philadelphia,
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I have an 8 month old son and this was our first overnight getaway. We booked at the Hampton Inn because Montage Mountain is so close to my in laws. We figured we could get some shopping in, some dinner and drinks, and a good night's sleep. We walked into the lobby and really loved how clean, bright, and friendly it was. We were checked in quickly and headed up to the room to shower and nap before heading out for the evening.

After showering, I turned on the TV while getting dressed and my husband jumped into the shower. Still swathed in my towel, I was alerted to the door opening due to the sound of the safety bar catching and a man called out to me that this was his room. My husband quickly jumped out of the shower and told him that we had just checked into this room. The man replied that he wouldn't be able to open the door without the key and that it must be the staff's mistake. He headed back down and I called down to the lobby to inform them of what had just occurred. Without asking my name, they reassured me over the phone that this was, in fact, my room and no one else had been assigned to it. Alarmed, I replied that a man had walked in here armed with a key for the room, so clearly a mistake had been made. A few minutes later the lobby called back asking my name. Apparently we had not been checked in properly and were supposed to be in a different room? Apologies by the staff were made to us and we decided to try and make the best of it. New keys were issued to us at this time.

After dinner and drinks at a local restaurant (for more information, see my review for AV restaurant in Moosic, PA), my husband and I returned to the hotel for the evening. We haven't gotten too much sleep in recent months, so we were excited at the prospect of an uninterrupted night's sleep. We drew the heavy curtains, turned on the TV, and settled in for the night. The hotel was packed with guests this weekend and one of the features in the lobby is that of an open floor plan with cafe tables, a coffee bar, and a few flat screen televisions. When we walked in, we saw quite a few families settled around the lobby with beer, wine, sodas, pizzas, and sandwiches. We were happy that the noise level didn't carry to our room at all on the second floor, but our excitement was short lived. Around 11 o'clock, we were interrupted again by knocking at our door. My husband pulled himself out of bed and answered it, only to discover that no one was there. Suspecting a prank, he waited by the door until the knocking returned, when he growled angrily to the prankers from right behind the keyhole. Sufficiently scared, the prankers didn't return to bother us, but we heard them running, giggling, and knocking on other doors. We called down to warn the lobby and they assured us that something would be done.

In another two hours, in the wee hours of the morning, we heard yelling from the room next door, a door slam, and our 'neighbors' threatening to call the police if the prankers didn't stop harassing them. I don't know WHO they were, WHERE their parents were, or WHAT the hotel was doing about them, but at this point I was frustrated, sleepy, and over this stupid hotel. We called down AGAIN to the lobby, where the lone and extremely young staff person said something to the effect of, "I'll go up again and ask them to stop."

The next morning, we checked out and told the management about the series of problems that we had. She quickly offered us a refund and asked us to consider staying there again in the future. Quite frankly, despite her kindness and excellent customer service, I doubt that we will stay at that location in Montage Mountain again. Too many things went wrong and the overall experience was horrendous. I don't know that we'd ever go with Hampton Inn at any location again.

Think twice before booking here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MrsDutko
Lori B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences that you and your family endured while staying with us. We will be sure to take the necessary measure to ensure situations like this are not repeated in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come back and stay with us again.
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip. I stayed for one night. It was the only hilton property that had a room within one hour of where I needed to go. Hotel is a bit out dated. Staff is very very very friendly. I liked them a lot. The room was your standard hampton inn. The bed was as expected. The staff made up for the slight lack luster of this place. I would recommend to anyone traveling to the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Lori B, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for recognizing our friendly staff. We hope the next time you are traveling for business in the Scranton area you stay with us again. Thank you for being a loyal Hilton Member.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked this place last-minute for a quick ski trip...The manager was so helpful and gave us a discounted room. It was immaculate. The rest of the staff was just terrific. Tons of places to shop and it just felt like I was on a real vacation (even though I was only 2 hours away).

Service is everything...and they do it well!!

Room Tip: We got a room that overlooked the mountain w/ a jacuzzi! Amazing!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charlie T
Thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn Scranton while enjoying your weekend getaway skiing at Sno Mountain and shopping! I am so glad you enjoyed our Jacuzzi Suite, with the views of Sno Mountain. We hope to see you the next time you need a weekend vacation!
Dushore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I came to this Hampton Inn to celebrate our anniversary this past weekend. We were very pleased upon entering the lobby, it was very clean and bright. Beautifully decorated. We got a jacuzzi suite and we were very happy with it, until we went into the bathroom and it obviously had not been cleaned very well. There was some kind of substance on the vanity and 3 hairballs laying on the floor. Also the ottoman on the end of the bed was covered with hair. We were going to ask for another room but when we checked in, it sounded like the other rooms were full. The hotel is located off of I-81 and was easy to navigate to Montage Mountain for shopping, food & skiing. The breakfast in the morning was normal for a hotel. Nice selection of choices. Staff working in the breakfast room were very nice. I wish I would have known they give out complementary water bottles at the front desk, my boyfriend had gone to every vending machine looking for a bottle of water and they were all sold out! We definitely should have read the reviews on this hotel before coming for all the tips.
After being really excited about this nice hotel, and coming to a dirty room....not sure if we will return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristy A
I'm terribly sorry that you had a disappointing experience with us. Cleanliness is a very important part of our daily operations and what helps make guests have a great experience. We're taking your review to our head of housekeeping and reviewing current protocols and offering additional training opportunities to ensure we're doing all we can to ensure cleanliness. Please accept my sincere apologies and we hope you give us another chance to show you our true hospitality.
Mississauga, Ontario
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at the Hamton Inn Montage Mountain on our way to New York City. I could not be more pleased with this property as well as the wonderful staff!

This property is newly renovated, with all the best amenities that you need for a nice stay with your family.

The staff was so friendly and doting on my family, that I could not have asked for more. Upon my departure, I was filling up my own water bottles at the water fountain when the lovely girl at the front desk ran up to me and gave me 4 fresh water bottles for the road!!!

If I am ever in the area again, I will stay at this property again! Thank you!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank RMZB
Thank you for staying at the Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain! We are glad to hear you liked our renovations and had an enjoyable stay! We hope to see you the next time you are passing through the Scranton area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Comfort Suites
SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre
Days Inn Scranton PA
Days Inn Scranton PA
#8 of 10 in Scranton

Been to Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain? Share your experiences!