“No Maid Service”

Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Our stay was for two nights. Just as we were leaving the room at 10:30 am after the first night a note was slipped under the door informing us our room would not be serviced that day. Apparently you have to leave the room before that time in order for the room to be serviced. The front desk should have advised us of this policy at check-in. Other than this annoyance the hotel was ok. Breakfast was excellent & location was convenient.

Room Tip: Check policy with front desk if you are staying for more than one day and want your room cleaned
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank tripjbm
HamptonScranton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2011

Hello tripjbm,

I apologize for the confusion during your stay, we do always service each guest room on a daily basis, we do not have a policy that states otherwise. Although I do not know the exact circumstances of your stay with us, if a guest does leave a do not disturb sign on their door we are unable to enter the room to provide service. The housekeeper may have sent the note under your door, which highlighted that if there was any service needed to please contact the front desk, so that she would be able to provide you what you did need on that day of your stay. I again apologize for any confusion and appreciate you taking the time to complete the review. We are glad to hear that other than the confusion, you did enjoy your stay with us, our location, and were able to enjoy the variety we have to offer in our On the House Hot breakfast! We hope to have you as our guest again the near future!

Reviewed November 10, 2011

I am usually very happy with Hampton Inns. However the Hampton Inn at Montage Ski Area was not as clean as others. I was very disappointed. The pool area was also not as clean as I would have liked.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Margaret B

Hello grandmamarg,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I apologize that you felt our property was not cleanly during your recent stay, we have always received such good compliments on our cleanliness and pride ourselves on that. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review, and we hope to have you as our guest again in the future, as your experience is out of the normal for us.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Another great stay. We stopped here on our way to NYC. The hotel is very clean and breakfast was great. I could go for a sausage pattie and biscuits and gravy right now. My wife --not so much. She goes more for cereals and fruit. They have it all. Scranton was much nicer than we expected. The only issue was the entrance as we came off the highway at night and saw a sign indicating to turn left into hotel. It's really the second left as the first is the on-ramp to the highway from where we came. We did a quick loop at the next exit and headed back again. Maybe the entrance should be marked better. Only only minor complaint. Great stay.

2  Thank Moneyman10

Hello Moneyman10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, it truly means alot to us! Thank you for your compliments on our cleanliness, as we do pride ourselves on that. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the variety of our On the House Hot Breakfast and that the Scranton area was enjoyable for you during your stay!! We thank you again for taking the time to write this review, and we hope to have you stay with us again in the near future!!

Reviewed October 30, 2011

Slightly oddball place to stay, Scranton, we thought but wanted to nip into LL Bean in Allentown on way back to JFK so Scranton, backed up by the Trip A reviews and with Billy Joel reverberating in my ears, fitted the bill.

Very friendly receptionist Rachel checked us in - swapping two pre-booked rooms on differing floors to a pair next door to each other proactively without us saying a word. Then proceeded to remind us that they had been looking after a large package for us for over a week. We had had a large dog bed 'shipped to our US address' which was the Hampton, Scranton and they had made no fuss at all - just were curious to know what was inside as it was a couple of feet cubed! - (well done BA on the way home!).

Again, a clean comfortable stay. Good recommendations for local restaurants - most in or around the surrounding malls - but such is the US unless you stay in or near a character town. We ate in a good but small-chain steak restaurant about 5 minutes away.

Good clean pool and hot-tub. The gym too looked clean and well equipped but I had already had a work-out driving over the Catskills jousting with (very early) late October snow and after that swim was ready only to exercise my jaw on a rare 12oz USDA New York Strip with a Caesar salad, fries and a Sam Adams!

I suppose we have a slight issue with the 'free' Hampton breakfasts having experienced a few now. Not with the food at all but just the amount of throw-away flatware and packaging. After a reasonable breakfast for four our table is knee-deep in (land-fill?) plastic. Plates, bowls, cups, knives, forks, spoons, butter, cheese, jam pots and paper napkins are all heaved in the bin. Slightly contrasts with the green 're-use of towel' policy. Difficult to cure I suppose but grates with us who re-cycle teabags and loo rolls!

Apart from that minor gripe we will use Hampton Inns again when it suits us on our next US 'road trip'.

2  Thank CurtisG

Hello CurtisG ,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, after you recent stay with us! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind words about our Front Desk Agent, Rachel, we will certainly pass the compliment on to her!

I know you had mentioned some concerns on the amount of throw away plates, bowls, silverware, etc. I am pleased to tell you that our plates are actually enviroware and biodegradable, our bowls are tater ware and also biodegradable, our silverware (forks, spoons, and knives) are also all enviroware and biodegradable, this is a Hampton Standard that we are very proud to follow. I hope this information will help eliminate the concerns you had with our breakfast and we hope to have you as our guest again in the near future!

Thank you again for taking the time to submit this review!

Reviewed October 28, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in October. There's not much exceptional to report about the property. Consistent with all of my experiences with the brand, the service is friendly and the quality of the hotel is average. I can't say that the value was great because the room was $152 and for a Hampton Inn in Scranton, I expected a lower price. As a point of comparison, I stayed at an upscale hotel in the center of Dallas the week before for $175 a night...and Scranton is certainly no Dallas.

Hello AndWhere2Next,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review of our hotel! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel service to be friendly! I apologize that you don't feel the value of our hotel matched the room rate, I assure you our rates are competitive with the area hotels surrounding our location. Thank you again and we would love to have you as our guest in the future!

Reviewed October 21, 2011

We choose Hampton Inns for their consistency of being clean and having the amenities we like. This Hampton met our expectations plus! There were lots of outlets in the room (to charge all our gadgets). The heating/air conditioning worked well. The mini frig & microwave & TV were all nice. The beds were comfortable and clean. The WIFI worked well and the computer in the lobby also worked fine. The pool was large and people were using it. They gave us a map of the area with a map of the hotel floor plan on the other side of the paper, these both are very helpful to have. The lobby is set up that the front desk has a clear view of the front entrance and a rear entrance that comes in to the dining area. The room had an extra sink just outside the bathroom, I don't think that is necessary but this might be handy when a family is using the room. A nice arm chair in the room would have been nice to have. The decor of the hotel is a bit on the modern side so the room chair did not have arms which isn't as comfortable as an arm chair. Our alarm clock did not work properly, a maintenance man did come and realized the clock was unplugged and working off the battery. However, after he plugged it in the dial did light up but we still could not get the alarm to set. We just used the "wake up call" service.

The staff were all welcoming to all the guests. I do want to compliment Rebecca (day shift) & Mark (evening shift) at the front desk, both were especially friendly & helpful. Melissa in housekeeping was probably the friendliest person I have met in a long time. She made me feel at home and did a thorough job of refreshing our room. My husband was on a business trip and I went along with him. I went to get away from my work and to relax and read. The lobby area and an outside seating area were nice for sitting and relaxing & reading my book.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the even side of the hallway for the beautiful view of the mountain.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank DeeDeePA
HamptonScranton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2011

Hello Dee1Dee,

Thank you so much for your kind review!!! We are so glad that we were able to meet your expectations and make your stay with us enjoyable and memorable! I am glad to hear that you were able to utilize so many of the ammenities we offer here at the Hampton Inn Scranton during your stay. Thank you also for your kind compliments on Rebecca and Mark, we do pride ourselves on superior customer service and appreciate you taking the time to note this. We hope to have you as our guest again!!!

Reviewed October 12, 2011

We used the Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain for a brief overnight stay on the way home from New York City. Located just off of I-81 and adjacent shopping and dining, for a reasonably priced Hampton property this had a very good pool/hot tub combination, in a spacious building off of the main hotel building. One consequence is a reduction of the "chlorine aroma" common to hotel lobbies adjacent pools.

Overall this is a well maintained, standard Hampton Inn property with free Wi-Fi, complimentary breakfast. We had a brief but restful stay as we continued our way home from the weekend.

Room Tip: When coming from I-81 Southbound onto Montage Mountain Road, look carefully at the freeway intersect...
1  Thank BZT
HamptonScranton, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Hello BZT,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! We greatly value your feedback! Thank you so much for your compliments on our indoor pool and it's location! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you as our guest in the future!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scranton
Hilton Scranton & Conference Center
Fairfield Inn Scranton
#5 of 10 in Scranton
Four Points by Sheraton Scranton
SpringHill Suites Scranton Wilkes-Barre

Been to Hampton Inn Scranton at Montage Mountain? Share your experiences!