“Not the Ritz but very accommodating”

Howard Johnson Express - Springfield
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed here for a quick two night business trip and therefore did not need all the fancy amenities we have all grown to expect when traveling. Got to admit, I was pretty apprehensive when we drove up but we were pleasantly surprised with our accommodations. The room was clean and well maintained. Equally important was the very accommodating Manager, Abih, who went above and beyond to provide the unique assistance we requested. Our experience was very pleasant and for a quick stay-over, it was definitely a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Express - Springfield

Reviewed July 28, 2012

stayed here a few months ago,& was disgusted!! @ 1st glance the room didnt look 2 bad,though this hojo is in a sketchy area. what set me off is the discovery of bedbugs on MY bed when I woke up 2 use the bathroom around 2am! when I brought a dead bedbug down 2 the desk the clerk came out appearing drunk n told me he'de give it 2 his supervisor-who did admit it was a bedbug! The property manager called me ltr that day(I had checked out) & told me he'de give me half off my next stay. I told him he couldnt pay me 2stay thr. He then offered me a $25 cred. NASTY!!!! I dont remember the exact date of this event so I put down mrch 2012 since its close

Room Tip: shady neighborhood, be careful walking around @nt
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Joel V
Reviewed July 10, 2012

A well-kept and very nice motel. The staff was excellent and the view off of the balcony was remarkable. The price was reasonable and we would love to stop there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I booked this hotel online for me and my 2 kids (one teenager), when I got there, they gave me a room with a double bed not big enough for even just one of us. When I went down to the front desk to complain, the (rude) clerk told me that they could not do anything for me, and suggested that I check out!! Then when I asked for the manager, the clerk deactivated my keycard so I could not get into my room, and called the police on me to have me removed from the premises! I had to stand outside and call the 1 800 number for help, and they were absolutely no help at all. The police told the clerk to let me into my room, and surrender my possesions which were locked in the room. I had to stay the night, I had no choice, but I had to sleep on the floor. Please please please do NOT make the mistake I made and stay here. Besides the rudeness and lack of customer service, this place is loaded with sketchy individuals and is in a bad neighborhood.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Carol T
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The price and location (closest one to a particular local college where we were attending homecoming weekend) drew us into this motel. The first-floor rooms are all direct entry from the parking lot. Most are in an L-shaped building attached to the lobby, while several rooms are in a separate building across the parking lot. A handful of rooms are upstairs. While the second floor sits above the front desk part of the main building, there is no direct connection to the lobby... you have to go down the stairs and outside before you can go back towards the front desk. Next to the main lobby, a smaller room has laundry, some vending and the motel's only ice machine.

When you first pull in, the property looks pretty sketchy... some people milling about the parking lot gave us the impression they actually live at this motel. The building itself looks a bit outdated. But when you go inside, the room (at least the one we got) looked pretty good at first glance. Perhaps the only major complaint I have was that the carpet was horribly dirty... well overdue for a visit from the Rug Doctor, as a regular vaccuum cleaner would not be enough. Did not touch the floor with my bare feet at all -- socks or sandals were in use at all times.

Just a few other minor complaints, but not "deal breakers" in my book considering the prices paid:

1) Rooms weren't soundproofed well... walking up and down the hallway, and even once inside our room, I could hear noise... not sure if it was just people watching TV or having an argument or what, but I could hear something.

2) Wi-Fi is free, but you need to get a username and password from the Front Desk. What they don't tell you is that the Wi-Fi system is "smart" enough to allow only one device per username. Since we each have our own laptop, I had to go back down to the Front Desk to get my own Wi-Fi password.

3) They have these nice, large, flatscreen HDTVs in the room, but the cable is not in HD. I'm kind of an "HD snob" when it comes to watching television... and it always annoys me to see a low-def picture being stretched to oblivion on a huge HD screen.

4) Breakfast is free, but not spectacular. We got bagels, coffee and danishes. Bagels were good. Coffee was "so-so" and the danishes were terrible.

Overall, not bad considering the bargain basement prices... honestly was expecting it to be much worse when we first pulled up. Considering the larger hotels closer to downtown would have charged more for the room, and likely would have charged more for parking, Wi-Fi and breakfast, this really isn't such a bad deal if you're simply looking for a place to sleep and shower.

Room Tip: Second floor is stairs only -- did not see any elevator, lift, ramp, etc., so if you're handicap...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2011

When we pulled up, we wondered what we had gotten ourselves into, as it appeared it was an older motel with only rooms with outdoor entrances. However, the man working at the front desk was very friendly, our room was close to the parking lot (on the 2nd floor with no immediate outside entrance), and the room was great. It was very clean, had a nice flat screen TV, and the bathroom looked newly updated. The only bad part was that we had two double beds.

The location was great. We ate at the Applebees right across the street. There was also an Olive Garden and several other restaurants within walking distance. The breakfast in the morning had a variety of rolls, bagels, and cereal. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2010

I'm usually more cautious, but in a hurry I booked this hotel as the price for a jaccuzi room was by far the best in area. Then I read all the bad reviews and wondered what I had gotten us into!! My husband and I decided to keep the reservation and take our chances. We were very pleasantly surprised. Our room was very clean and all our linens were fresh. The front desk staff was friendly, efficient and helpful in giving us extra towels. Our jacuzzi was clean and operational, no issues at all. Our room had a fridge/freezer larger than most you see in hotel rooms.The breakfast was not fancy, but the bagel and coffee I had were fresh and tasty. We were traveling to Eastern MA for the holiday and this was a stop over, so the only inconvenience is that it's right on 20, but a little bit of a drive from I-90. It wasn't a ritzy neighborhood, but I didn't see anything that made think it was a bad neighborhood, either. We felt safe, the room was clean and comfortable. Not plush, but hey, it's an economy hotel. If you want 3 star, you'll be disappointed. If you want an economical way to enjoy a little romance before three days with the grandkids, their jacuzzi room fits the bill.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank htbharry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Wilbraham Inn
#1 of 1 in Wilbraham
Holiday Inn Express Ludlow
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield

Been to Howard Johnson Express - Springfield? Share your experiences!